Notices

Occassional excessive smoke from exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occassional excessive smoke from exhaust?

I am getting some excessive smoke from my exhaust as of late. The smoke is nearly white, definately not WHITE, but more white then anything. It smells a bit odd too. I've been told it is most likely the seals on the turbo going out? the odd part is that it's pretty random. It will do it pretty bad when the car is cold, but also occassionally when it's fully warmed up.
Any info or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks.
Mark
Oh yeah, It's a turbonetics 60-1 HIFI turbo, a few people have told me they had similar issues with their turbonetics turbo's as well.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Occassional excessive smoke from exhaust? (01ITR#700)

first check your charge piping for traces of oil. If you find any, then yes, its your turbo seals.

Then check for signs of leaking/blown headgakset/rings. Compression test would be the first step here.

A quick check is to look under the oil cap for built up "jizzy" lookin stuff.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Occassional excessive smoke from exhaust? (intekragsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by intekragsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first check your charge piping for traces of oil. If you find any, then yes, its your turbo seals.

Then check for signs of leaking/blown headgakset/rings. Compression test would be the first step here.

A quick check is to look under the oil cap for built up "jizzy" lookin stuff. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool, thanks for the info. And I'm pretty confident there is a bit of oil in the charge piping. No coolant in the oil at all.
Mark
Old 06-23-2003, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt...
Any other information from anybody? Any temporary fixes etc? I've considered trying slightly thicker oil possibly? I'm trying to make it to a big Import event/race on the 29th.
FWIW the car runs like a champ, no boost issues etc.
Thanks again.
M
Old 06-23-2003, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could be the rings. compression test.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine does the same thing. It smokes (not white tho -- mine is obviously oil, from the look and smell) at random times. Really inermittent. Leakdown is perfect on all four cylinders. So I'm guessing it's either valve guides or the seals in the turbo.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:54 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Occassional excessive smoke from exhaust? (CheezeFrog)

my friends car does that. We have no idea what it is. Turbo is almost brand new and compression is great. Usually if its turbo seals you will get alot of oil in the charge pipes and smoke on deccell.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Occassional excessive smoke from exhaust? (DIRep)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my friends car does that. We have no idea what it is. Turbo is almost brand new and compression is great. Usually if its turbo seals you will get alot of oil in the charge pipes and smoke on deccell.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Does the car smoke when he lets off the gas?
EVIL
Old 06-23-2003, 01:00 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Occassional excessive smoke from exhaust? (Evil DOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evil DOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

EVIL</TD></TR></TABLE>

no. not on his car. just sometimes it smokes randomly @ idle.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evil DOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

EVIL</TD></TR></TABLE>

The smoke subsides almost all the way when I let off the gas, but still occassionally smokes slightly at that point. Then other times it doesn't smoke at all.
M
Old 06-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Same **** is happening with a car that I just finished building. I still can't figure it out. It doesn't hinder performance it justs annoy's the **** out of me when I let off the gas I have to see a small cloud or smell it.
EVIL
Old 06-23-2003, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was having the same problems with my car....here is the solution. I called garrett turbo up and they told me that they were having some complaints about the smoke and they asked me what size oil line i was using and i told them -4an line and they told me to replace it with a -3an line..... i did what they said and NO MORE SMOKE.... they told me that the turbo wasnt getting enough oil pressure so using the -3an line it increases the oil pressure to get in the turbo and push out....

hope this helps everyone
Old 06-24-2003, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Occassional excessive smoke from exhaust? (cam0693)

I am using a -3, last night it wasn't smoking at all.
EVIL
Old 06-24-2003, 09:50 AM

Is there fuel in the oil. I had a smoking problem when I first had my engine built. A bad injector was dumping so much fuel into the oil that the rings couldn't seat. Result being a lot of blow buy.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Occassional excessive smoke from exhaust? (DIRep)

Well hell I am in this club as well !!! Always when my car is warm/hot an always at idle. POOF nice cloud of smoke an it will not do it all the time. argh ! I have a Turbonetics as well...

And my turbo has been rebuilt recently, and it did this smoke crap the day we put the turbo back on the car an just slowly has gotten better...but it still smokes. Sucks when ya pull up to a light an people are like wow cool car...then POOF a huge cloud of smoke hovers over the area an they look at ya.... ha ha ...sux ! I have tried everything except break off into the head/block to see what's up.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does it only when you turn the car on in the morning? or when the car has been siting for 6-8 hours?? might be valve seals
Old 06-24-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Occassional excessive smoke from exhaust? (AcuraFreak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AcuraFreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well hell I am in this club as well !!! Always when my car is warm/hot an always at idle. POOF nice cloud of smoke an it will not do if all the time. argh ! And my turbo has been rebuilt and it did this the day we put back on the car an just slowly has gotten better...but still smokes. sucks when ya pull up to a light an people are like wow cool car...then POOF huge cloud of smoke an they look at ya ha ha ...sux !</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know that feeling all too well

Well I got my car up on jackstands and inspected the turbo from the outside. It appears as though there may be a small physical leak coming from the turbo itself where the exhaust housing bolts on? Very strange indeed. So I guess it's relatively safe to say the seals are going or gone.
I just drove 1000 miles round trip to get the car tuned so I could run on the car on the 29th, now this...
Thanks for all the info.
Mark