Notices

OBD II B18B Turbo options

Old 09-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OBD II B18B Turbo options

I am in the middle of building my 1998 B18B turbo integra and am still a bit confused on the OBD II options. I am well aware that I can convert to OBD-1 and have a lot more options for tuning. However, then I would have to convert back to OBD-II for every inspection in NYS. But what if I stay OBD-II, first off, is is possible to run high boost 15+ psi and 300+ HP on a OBD-II setup (like a chipped ECU)? Is there anybody running high boost with OBD-II, can you share your setup with me. Otherwise, I need some suggections on what route to go with my engine. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am by no means and expert on OBD2 man, but here is my take on it. Can it be done, sure with Emanage and a FMU perhaps but it will never be as spot on as a true standalone or even Hondata or freeware OBD1 systems. That is why everyone reverts back, there are no real tuning options for the middle system.

Now you "can" convert back and still pass the codes which we deal with here every year. You will have to put the stock injectors and ECU back in the car and hook all the evap and purge crap back up. Then drive around VERY gently for at least 50 miles NEVER going into boost and it will either clear all the codes or tell you what is wrong. If they are all clear, then you get your sticker and carefully drive back to you house and set the car back up right.

We do it every year here in NC. Tons of fun.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:41 AM

Default Re: (Jay_Sensing)

obd2 solutions are almost non existant (besides aem ems standalone etc)
Check out http://phearable.net/tech/efibeginnerguide.html
Old 09-02-2006, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OBD II B18B Turbo options (lsturbo*)

For obd2 tuning you could use the afc hack..but i dunno about passing inspection.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:55 PM
i ♥ snails

id never reccomend a afc hack too anyone looking for descent hp unless u hate them ahaha. Emanage is an obd2 option get the ingnition, injector, and boost pressure sensor harness its just a piggyback unit but itll work
Old 09-05-2006, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So if I was to get the AEM EMS system, could I just remove it come inspection time, and replace it with the factory ECU? What else would I have to remove to not throw any lights? Injectors, turbo?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"Converting back" to OBD-II isn't really that big of a deal, especially if you're going to be swapping off turbo components for inspection anyway. The most cost-effective way I can think of to do it is to get an OBD-I ECU to use with Hondata or whatever EMS you want to run, pick up some larger saturated injectors, conversion clips for the injectors, and a OBD-II>OBD-I conversion harness for the ECU. If you stick with saturated injectors, you won't need to wire in a resistor box like you would if you were running peak-and-hold injectors, and you can easilly swap them out for your stock injectors when you need to with the conversion clips(big saturated injectors usually use OBD-I style clips so the conversion clips adapt them to your stock clips without any cutting/soldering). As for the ECU, the OBD-I ECU/conversion harness easilly swaps out for your stock one come inpection time as well. If you don't want to run an OBD-I ECU and conversion harness, you can opt for one of the "true" standalones like AEM, but those cost a bit more than a chipped OBD-I ECU or OBD-I ECU and Hondata, and you would still have to swap it out for your inspection if they're going to scan the ECU. As for E-manage, some people have had good results with it, but you would still need to pull it off along with all its components for inspection if it's as strict as it seems.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:52 AM

Default Re: (inspyral)

emanage ultimate is your best option due to it having better control of your injectors than emanage blue, but emanage blue works well too.

If the smog technicians dont see it then they wont fail it. Most of them wont even know what there looking at. I stuck my emanage in the glove box.