Notices

NYS OBD2 inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 12:25 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NYS OBD2 inspection

Anyone look into this? I spoke with DMV and they will not even allow a waiver/custom car certification on any 96 and newer car. Any modification is illegal and any inspection station trying to allow one to pass can be fined 10k dollars.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NYS OBD2 inspection (GruvyTune)

wow, i havent heard that yet. i thought that they just check to see if you have any cel's. if you are running a obd1 ecu then you wont pass, but i havent heard about the any modification being illegal.

dyno tuning in syracuse, ill have to remember that for this spring.

edit:
from here ---> http://www.ssrsny.com/consumer/obd2.htm

Information on OBD II Testing For The Consumer

79.24(i)(9a):Effective July 1, 2003, all non-diesel and non-electric powered 1996 and newer model year vehicles under 8501 except for vehicles classified as homemade or custom, shall be checked for the operation and activation of the on0board diagnostic Malfunction Indicator Light.

For inspections outside the New York Metropolitan Area (Low Enhanced emissions inspection), the following failure criteria are effective July 1, 2003. Reject if:

The MIL fails to light with the key on and engine off
The MIL remains lit with the engine running
NYVIP
New York Vehicle Inspection Program

A more complete check of the on-board diagnostic system (OBD) that controls this light, using NYVIP equipment, is required by federal law. The new NYVIP test will be implemented in all 53 upstate counties by June 2004.

The new NYVIP test will use information in the “On-Board Diagnostics” (OBD) computer system already in your vehicle to help reduce air pollution in our state. The NYVIP equipment to be used for this advanced test is currently being pilot tested. If your vehicle is tested as part of NYS inspection, your vehicles on-board computer will be scanned for “fault codes” in addition to the required visual check of the light. The scanning will be done by plugging your vehicles connector to the NYVIP equipment.

On these 1996 and newer vehicles, you will also be required to inspect the OBD II system and vehicles will be failed for the following additional reasons:

MIL is on with engine running
MIL does not light with key on engine off
MIL is commanded on by Power Control Module (PCM)
Readiness indicators are not set

If you receive an “Fail” result

Your repair technician should give you an official “Inspection Receipt” that explains the test results. Your vehicle may fail for one or more reasons:

OBD Diagnostic Trouble codes (DTC)
Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC) was missing, broken or not functioning
OBD Monitor Readiness Status is not ready
MIL on, commanded on, or not functioning correctly.
Information contained in the official Inspection Receipt will assist your repair technician as he/she diagnoses the actual problem.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:07 PM
New User

Default Re: NYS OBD2 inspection (fastcrxsi90)

any tampering with the obd2 computer system on 96 and newer cars is illegal. so, once connected, a signal goes back to albany to confirm ecu matches the car type then if no cels car is started and if no cels it passes. that simple.

running obd1 computer illegal hence why i ask.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GruvyTune &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> a signal goes back to albany to confirm ecu matches the car type then if no cels car is started and if no cels it passes. that simple.</TD></TR></TABLE>

--its not that simple..a vehicle can still fail nysi if cel isnt on
must pass rediness codes to pass--I have seen vehicles w/ no light on fail!!

$450.00 or more gets you a waiver
Old 02-22-2005, 03:22 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: NYS OBD2 inspection (12SEC CIV)

I work @ a dealership, these inspections are a pain in the *** A few turbo OBD2 turbo cars have passed here, switched back to stock obd2 ecu, stock injectors/clips, pulled wastegate spring, etc. passed no problem. we've also had plenty of new stock OBD2 cars fail the test for no apperent reason...Like was mentioned above worst comes to worst it will cost you $450 a year to drive a car not in complience..**** NYS
Old 02-22-2005, 04:21 PM
New User

Default Re: NYS OBD2 inspection (Mpir3)

OK
someone email/pm me privately to hook me up with someone who will pass me with a grease of the palm..

thanks.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:22 PM

The cell test would be no problem with an obd1 ecu, once they hook up the OBD
diagnostics connector your fucked.
Im sure its feasable for someone to design a "spoof" obd interface to fool the scanner.
Matter of fact i can see this being the norm in the future.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: NYS OBD2 inspection (rioninja)

just make a fake sticker on photoshop..
Old 02-22-2005, 04:55 PM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GruvyTune &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK
someone email/pm me privately to hook me up with someone who will pass me with a grease of the palm..

thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wish it was that easy...one of our tech's spent all day sat (his day off ) trying to get his own car to pass
Old 02-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i wish it was that easy...one of our tech's spent all day sat (his day off ) trying to get his own car to pass </TD></TR></TABLE>

I work at dealer also, its REAL EASY to pass, surprised you havent figured out yet
Old 02-22-2005, 05:19 PM
New User

Default Re: NYS OBD2 inspection (12SEC CIV)

dude, sure its as easy as rewiring everything back to stock obd2 including o2 sensors. thats a royal pain in the *** on my car.

anyway, i'm hardly stupid so if its that easy and i'm missing something then please fill me in. easy is better.

i spoke to DMV personally today with the guy who authorizes most of the customs to be exempt. he certainly knew what he was talking about. without actually having another 2001 prelude there to hook into the system and cheat it, i dont see it being that easy.

thanks
Old 02-22-2005, 05:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GruvyTune &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude, sure its as easy as rewiring everything back to stock obd2 including o2 sensors. thats a royal pain in the *** on my car.

anyway, i'm hardly stupid so if its that easy and i'm missing something then please fill me in. easy is better.

i spoke to DMV personally today with the guy who authorizes most of the customs to be exempt. he certainly knew what he was talking about. without actually having another 2001 prelude there to hook into the system and cheat it, i dont see it being that easy.

thanks
</TD></TR></TABLE>

well if this rule went in effect in 03 , then i dont know how my friend got me to pass... I mean he did some kind of trickery. My car was on the dyno, but right behind me was another car where the sniffer thing was hooked up to and where it was all hooked up to the ecu... he did actually drive my car on the dyno, but the readings that the sniffer got were not from my car... and i did pass... Btw my car should be OBD2 but i swapped to obd1. even before the inspection
Old 02-22-2005, 06:23 PM
New User

Default Re: NYS OBD2 inspection (J337_UNIT)

this rule went into effect this year and has to do with the new obd2 telemetry interface system that inspection stations were forced to buy to comply with the new NYS system. dyno and sniffer trickery wont work anymore.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GruvyTune &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this rule went into effect this year and has to do with the new obd2 telemetry interface system that inspection stations were forced to buy to comply with the new NYS system. dyno and sniffer trickery wont work anymore.</TD></TR></TABLE>

photoshop will come in handy this year
Old 02-22-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: NYS OBD2 inspection (J337_UNIT)

Well Torin, I think it's time to check out Boston, or even western MA so your still close to fam

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rioninja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The cell test would be no problem with an obd1 ecu, once they hook up the OBD
diagnostics connector your fucked.
Im sure its feasable for someone to design a "spoof" obd interface to fool the scanner.
Matter of fact i can see this being the norm in the future. </TD></TR></TABLE>

is anyone working on this? sounds like a fun little electronics project
Old 02-23-2005, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I work @ a dealership, these inspections are a pain in the *** A few turbo OBD2 turbo cars have passed here, switched back to stock obd2 ecu, stock injectors/clips, pulled wastegate spring, etc. passed no problem. we've also had plenty of new stock OBD2 cars fail the test for no apperent reason...Like was mentioned above worst comes to worst it will cost you $450 a year to drive a car not in complience..**** NYS</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like im driving up to your dealership to pass.

what is the deal with the 450 dollars? i heard you have to spend it in repairs to try to make your car pass, or is it similar to a fine you just pay and get a sticker? im definately going to be in a tight spot to pass inspection later on this year