Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Nut4vette's EM1 Turbo B18C5 Progress Build (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/nut4vettes-em1-turbo-b18c5-progress-build-3320508/)

nutz4vette 05-20-2018 10:06 AM

Nut4vette's EM1 Turbo B18C5 Progress Build

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...ba7a76c12.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...a3e9144d3.jpeg
just rebuilt my block eagle rods wiesco 9.6:1 pistons oem oil and water pump,my head is in the shop now, had a cracked valve guide so it’s getting super tech guides, Ferrea 6000 intake valves and comp plus exhaust valves, Sk2 pro 1 cams, sk2 valve springs, sk2 titanium retainers, sk2 lmas, oem valve seals, and sk2 cam gears, tons of other stuff done to my car too but will get to all that later

Chance EG 05-20-2018 05:41 PM

re: Nut4vette's EM1 Turbo B18C5 Progress Build

Goals? Intended use?

Looks good, but let us know more about what you're up to bruh.

nutz4vette 05-20-2018 06:12 PM

Well I didn’t sleeve my block so I am gonna keep it around 500whp, I have a spare jdm type r block I’m gonna send out some day and have sleeved then swap the two, it’s gonna be driven on street mostly, maybe tracked one weekend a month. Gonna be going with a sheepey top mount a/c compatible setup with a Garrett GTX3682r on e85. Gonna take my time and do it right, maybe have it ready spring of next year

nutz4vette 05-20-2018 06:15 PM

When it was still drivable, it’s in pieces in the garage now
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...a997c9fd7.jpeg

nutz4vette 05-20-2018 06:16 PM

TheShodan 05-21-2018 08:18 AM

Re: Em1 turbo b18c5 build

Originally Posted by nutz4vette (Post 51639413)
Well I didn’t sleeve my block so I am gonna keep it around 500whp, I have a spare jdm type r block I’m gonna send out some day and have sleeved then swap the two, it’s gonna be driven on street mostly, maybe tracked one weekend a month. Gonna be going with a sheepey top mount a/c compatible setup with a Garrett GTX3582r on e85. Gonna take my time and do it right, maybe have it ready spring of next year

Why such an inefficient turbo / Exhaust Manifold selection for an unsleeved block? What's the purpose of the car again? Drag Racing only?

TheShodan 05-21-2018 08:20 AM

Re: Nut4vette's EM1 Turbo B18C5 Progress Build

Originally Posted by nutz4vette (Post 51639163)
just rebuilt my block eagle rods woes I 9.6:1 pistons oem oil and water pump,my head is in the shop now, had a cracked valve guide so it’s getting super tech guides, Ferrea 6000 intake valves and comp plus exhaust valves, Sk2 pro 1 cams, sk2 valve springs, sk2ti retainers, sk2 lmas, oem valve seals, and sk2 cam gears, tons of other stuff done to my car too but will get to all that later

If you plant to run anything like a Kelford or GSC-T1 purpose made camshaft, please do not use the spring style LMAs without accounting for tighter valve lash. Or stick to the hydraulic LMAs if you plan to use an aftermarket camshaft like I just mentioned.

2x0 05-21-2018 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by nutz4vette (Post 51639413)
Well I didn’t sleeve my block so I am gonna keep it around 500whp, I have a spare jdm type r block I’m gonna send out some day and have sleeved then swap the two, it’s gonna be driven on street mostly, maybe tracked one weekend a month. Gonna be going with a sheepey top mount a/c compatible setup with a Garrett GTX3682r on e85. Gonna take my time and do it right, maybe have it ready spring of next year

Regardless of whether you can make your stock sleeves last at 500whp, that turbo seems too large for the goal. Also it is going to suck driving on the street with a top mount and oversized turbo.

For a street car it would be best to choose components geared towards a faster spool and better mid-range power.

boosted94gsr 05-21-2018 11:52 AM

Mini ram and 30r or similar sized if you want to have any type of responsiveness on the street. A top mount and 35r is going to have a light switch power band, gonna be lag lag lag, instant wheel spin, banging limiter while you watch the tail lights of the car you’re racing pull away lol. I’m just saying unless this is a straight up drag car there are much better options available.

clean car btw 👍🏼

nutz4vette 05-21-2018 12:35 PM

I have a spare jdm type r block that I’m sending off to have sleeved, the real goal was 700-800whp to begin with but couldn’t get the approval for another $1200+ at the time from the wife with my first child on the way, when I get the sleeved block it will be a straight drag car and the unsleeved block is going in a eg hatch, the head already has sk2 pro1 cams, they were in it when I got the engine, it made tons of racket from the stock lmas so I swapped them out

nutz4vette 05-21-2018 12:36 PM

So far
Block mods:
B18c5
Eagle rods
Wiesco 9.6:1 pistons
Acl main bearings
King rod bearings
Ati super street damper
New oem water pump
New oem oil pump
New oem gaskets and sensors
Arp head studs
Innovative 80a mounts
Hasport torque mounts
Head mods:
B18c5
Supertech valve guides
Ferrea 6000 intake valves
Ferrea comp plus exhaust valves
New oem valve seals
Sk2 pro series dual valve springs
Sk2 ti retainers
Sk2 Lmas
Sk2 pro 1+ Cams
Sk2 cam gears
Bdl fuel rail
Hondata intake mani gasket
Trans mods:
B18c5
Comp stage 4 6 puck unsprung kit
Russell as clutch line
Exedy master and slave cylinder kit
Suspension mods:
Progress cs2 coilovers
Function7 rear lcas
Sk2 lca hardware
Hardrace upper control arms front and rear
Hardrace trailing arm bushings
Hardrace rear toe kit
Asr rear brace 24mm sway bar kit
Spoon front and rear sway bars (legit)
Buddy club ball joints
Insane shaft 500hp axles
New Koyo wheel bearings all around
Misc mods:
Ktellar 3” mandrel exhaust
Vibrant turbo muffler and resonator
Mishimoto radiator, fan, and hoses
Chipped p28 on neptune
Buddyclub p1 wheels (white)
205/50/15 nitto bro gens
Optima yellow top battery
B&Mshort throw

nutz4vette 05-21-2018 12:36 PM

Future mods:
Garrett Gtx3582r with tial v band housing
Sheepey a/c compatible t3 top mount manifold
sheepey 850hp intercooler
sheepey catch can(have)
Custom downpipe
Custom intercooler piping
turbosmart 45mm hypergate (have)
tial Q 50mm bov (have)
jbtuned full e85 kit
Walbro 450lph pump
injector dynamics 1300cc injectors
Aeromotive fpr(have)
omni 4 bar map (have)
Aem Air/fuel and boost gauge (have)
Defi water temp, oil press, and egr gauges
and of course a retune

H22Honda98 05-21-2018 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr (Post 51639910)
Mini ram and 30r or similar sized if you want to have any type of responsiveness on the street. A top mount and 35r is going to have a light switch power band, gonna be lag lag lag, instant wheel spin, banging limiter while you watch the tail lights of the car you’re racing pull away lol. I’m just saying unless this is a straight up drag car there are much better options available.

clean car btw 👍🏼

is a 30r enough turbo for those cams? Feels like over the years I've read that the pro 1's don't play nice with less than 60+ lbs/min or so.... something about too much overlap.

nutz4vette 05-21-2018 12:52 PM

I am aware the turbo and mani are overkill for 500whp, But I’m kinda torn on what I wanna do I have the 95 hatch and em1, one is gonna be street and one is gonna be strip, don’t really know for sure which is gonna be which, one will get the non sleeved block and full race ram horn I have with precision 5858 that I have, and the other will be sleeved with sheepey topmount and gtx35r, the eg hatch is farther from being ready and I am dying to drive a somewhat fast car again, my daily is a 17 ct200h f sport so yeah I’m pretty much dying, I had decided the em1 was gonna be the drag car but I’m still very torn that’s why I put the turbo setup as the bigger setup, but it already has the non sleeved block so I may leave it and slap the ram horn on it and make the hatch the drag car, I’m way to indecisive lol

nutz4vette 05-21-2018 01:00 PM

I was told the pro1s really need at least a 62mm, im tempted to just trade for some stock type r cams

TheShodan 05-21-2018 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by nutz4vette (Post 51639961)
I am aware the turbo and mani are overkill for 500whp, But I’m kinda torn on what I wanna do I have the 95 hatch and em1, one is gonna be street and one is gonna be strip, don’t really know for sure which is gonna be which, one will get the non sleeved block and full race ram horn I have with precision 5858 that I have, and the other will be sleeved with sheepey topmount and gtx35r, the eg hatch is farther from being ready and I am dying to drive a somewhat fast car again, my daily is a 17 ct200h f sport so yeah I’m pretty much dying, I had decided the em1 was gonna be the drag car but I’m still very torn that’s why I put the turbo setup as the bigger setup, but it already has the non sleeved block so I may leave it and slap the ram horn on it and make the hatch the drag car, I’m way to indecisive lol

You need to focus on the purpose.. One at time..just do one at a time. There is nothing to be torn on. Focus and slow down.

Don't "Slap on" anything. Think..

TheShodan 05-21-2018 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by nutz4vette (Post 51639967)
I was told the pro1s really need at least a 62mm, im tempted to just trade for some stock type r cams

You were told correctly

nutz4vette 05-21-2018 10:44 PM

I’m just torn on which car I want to be my drag car, but yeah with the engine I have I’m trying to utilize those cams and letting them dictate my build, I don’t need to do that, I really like driving my em1, it’s overall a nicer car so I really want to make it my street car, so if I ditch those cams and get stock Itr cams and use the turbo setup I already have, then fab my ic piping and down pipe and get the rest of what I need she will be ready to go way cheaper and quicker, then I can just start fresh with the drag car, this isn’t my first rodeo just so y’all know I come from the dsm world lol, and been working on tuners for a while, but also have had a little of everything, and trust me I won’t just slap stuff together, that’s why I haven’t gotten my bigger turbo or manifold yet, just hadn’t decided for sure yet, and thanks for the input shodan, your a legend bro and been reading your stuff for years

Chance EG 05-22-2018 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51639760)
If you plant to run anything like a Kelford or GSC-T1 purpose made camshaft, please do not use the spring style LMAs without accounting for tighter valve lash. Or stick to the hydraulic LMAs if you plan to use an aftermarket camshaft like I just mentioned.

That's interesting, what have been your experiences with the spring style LMAs on those cams? Last I spoke to GSC they didn't tell me anything special about them, actually stated that it's a toss up whether to use hydraulics or springs. Are the springs known to bind on them?

Tighter valve lash, any idea how much tighter?

Side-note: I've become more and more attracted to the look of the EM1's, and 6th gens in general. I like the look of the car, OP.

TheShodan 05-22-2018 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chance EG (Post 51640504)
That's interesting, what have been your experiences with the spring style LMAs on those cams? Last I spoke to GSC they didn't tell me anything special about them, actually stated that it's a toss up whether to use hydraulics or springs. Are the springs known to bind on them?

Tighter valve lash, any idea how much tighter?

Side-note: I've become more and more attracted to the look of the EM1's, and 6th gens in general. I like the look of the car, OP.

Well, honestly, from feedback from both manufacturers and users alike. Without a slightly tighter lash for cold start on the spring LMAs, there is abnormal wear on the camshaft lobea. GSC hasn't made much mention of this, ( I can't speak for them so, I will not really speculate or assume I know their thought process) , but it's more than likely because, they never thought that Honda B-series users would switch LMA styles on something over 25 , years old. As much as they thought of everything, that wasn't part of the design cues. Remember, they work with over 15 different engine profiles and don't follow h-t or other areas for trend changes; if they did, they'd never be able to release anything in a reasonable time period.

I'll try to expand more in the GSC thread, as I don't want to take this one too far off track..

nutz4vette 06-05-2018 08:24 PM

So I purchased a pte 5858 jb. Going to get mini ram or Ramhorn mani, posted the pro1 cams on eBay and they have bids so they should sell. So given my hp goal for this car of 500whp which cams would you all recommend, been researching turbo cams and relevant hp ranges, so just wanting your opinions, are Kelford 176-T or GSC 6015T1 to aggressive? Would I be better off to stick with gsr, itr, sk2 tuner 1, or something totally different? Seems like the Kelford and GSC geared more towards 600+

TheShodan 06-06-2018 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by nutz4vette (Post 51652502)
So I purchased a pte 5858 jb. Going to get mini ram or Ramhorn mani, posted the pro1 cams on eBay and they have bids so they should sell. So given my hp goal for this car of 500whp which cams would you all recommend, been researching turbo cams and relevant hp ranges, so just wanting your opinions, are Kelford 176-T or GSC 6015T1 to aggressive? Would I be better off to stick with gsr, itr, sk2 tuner 1, or something totally different? Seems like the Kelford and GSC geared more towards 600+

GSC'sc with with anything over 35lbs/min (less than 400whp). T-176 Kelfords seem.to be in the same class

nutz4vette 02-22-2019 01:05 AM

Took everyone’s advice/opinions into consideration and ended up selling the pro 1s and buying tuner 1s, I looked into sheepey built, Klm fab, and speedfactory for thei a/c compatible ramhorn and ultimately went with speedfactory, and that will be paired with a jb 5858 that I got from ht marketplace, so now just need to get turbosmart comp40 or tial mvs 38mm wastegate, and Intercooler, make Intercooler pipes, and a little more fuel components, what you all think? Any input on the parts I still need, gonna get 1300cc injectors and a walbro to 450lph pump, think that will be plenty for 500whp on e85, what about ic, brands you all prefer and all that

nutz4vette 02-22-2019 01:07 AM

maxwellmercer 02-22-2019 04:27 AM

Looking good! I just got my speedfactory manifold a few weeks ago and it is fkn beautiful!