Notices

Not Recommended to Turbo the Type R engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Recommended to Turbo the Type R engine?

well i've heard that u cannot turbo the Type R engine ecause it is high compression and such... i'm getting my Ek in july.. first thing is an engine swap and i was thinking a GSR swap after some people said i can't turbo the Type R and i want turbo so is it true that it is not recommended? i wa sthinking bout getting a Spoon Assembly.....is it StreetLegal in California? and wat would u guys recommend for an engine swap on an Ek.. H22? Gsr? Ne thing will help thanx
Old 02-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not Recommended to Turbo the Type R engine? (Orange Rice)

What Spoon assembly are you referring to?

False, you can turbo an ITR motor with stock compression, there's quite a few around, even on HT. You have to have proper fuel, management, and tuning, but it can be done.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:18 PM

what you can put turbo in the type r you just have to watch and make sure you dont blow the engine with all that power
Old 02-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not Recommended to Turbo the Type R engine? (MF rodrez.)

ummm i saw it at http://www.jspecautosports.com my kousin told me about a spoon engine for sale.. around $8,500 260HP iuno but i found the assembly at that site for like $5,500 but then i huess i have to finish it... BTW.. wat u think about a K20 Swap on an Ek? well anything else u might tell me that helps will be nice thanx

:-D
Old 02-07-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Not Recommended to Turbo the Type R engine? (MF rodrez.)

All i gotta say is if you boost dont go cheap fuel management, because theres a guy on here they has a b18c5 boosted with uberdata and he popped the motor, i say go hondata or even AEM ems to tune it real nice. I mean if you got the cash to build off a ITR swap i wouldnt go ghetto build on it.

A k swap would cost you an arm and a leg but the benefits are awesome, like pacmans crx pwns everyone. If you got the money do it. I say for your ek b18 with a benson build up and a sc61 or some ****, or a full race kit, but if i had all the money to dump right away.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not Recommended to Turbo the Type R engine? (conFusedEG)

i don't kare bout he money.....i'm not sayig i'm rich but i got some...i don't want no cheap ****.. price is priceless for me.. so yeah thanx i was considering hondata!!
Old 02-07-2005, 02:24 PM

I have hondata with data logging and everything i ****** love it. Honestly the iTR swap is a little overrated. I would honestly go with a b18B or C1, and mod the hell out of it instead of the price for the ITR, due to the fact that ITR components are hard to run by in my opinion. B18B is of my choice because after my full turbo build up, I'll Ls/vtec it. And re-tune for more monster power.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not Recommended to Turbo the Type R engine? (conFusedEG)

cheap price doesnt always mean cheap ****. uberdata/hondata owns when tuned correctly. you dont really want high compression for a turbo application because of higher chances of detenation. if your deciding which engine to boost, i'd go with the gsr because it has lower comp (US 10.1:1) than the type r (US 10.6:1) and the tranny is longer (boost friendly). h22's are torque monsters BUT swapping them requires custom fabrication/cutting **** up. hope that helps you on your decision.

uberdata
Old 02-07-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Not Recommended to Turbo the Type R engine? (orig1nalkhmersta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by orig1nalkhmersta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you dont really want high compression for a turbo application because of higher chances of detenation. if your deciding which engine to boost, i'd go with the gsr because it has lower comp (US 10.1:1) than the type r (US 10.6:1) and the tranny is longer (boost friendly).</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly why ppl say its better to go with the gsr for boost. you can boost a type r engine, its just that you are more likely to cause detonation. the higher your compression and more boost u push into an engine, the more likely that the gas will explode before it is meant to (when the spark plug fires), which can cause serious damage to your pistons and cylinder walls. the higher octane gas you use the less likely your gas is to explode prematurely.

also, like orig1nal said, the longer tranny is better suited for boost as youll have a lot more power than stock.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not Recommended to Turbo the Type R engine? (Paulnsx)

Wow thats a lot of new and GOOD stuff i learned.....thanx guys.. never forget this.. so if i do get a type R and not turbo how much HP can i pull out of it....

but i'm still gonna get turbo so nvm i'll get the GSR!!!!!!

yea thts wat my homeboi said bout not turboing the type r cause the high compression thanx again
Old 02-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Orange Rice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow thats a lot of new and GOOD stuff i learned.....thanx guys.. never forget this.. so if i do get a type R and not turbo how much HP can i pull out of it....

but i'm still gonna get turbo so nvm i'll get the GSR!!!!!!

yea thts wat my homeboi said bout not turboing the type r cause the high compression thanx again</TD></TR></TABLE>

With all that money you have you should consider taking an english clash.

You can get however much hp you want.. depends on your motor build and how many lbs of boost you run and fuel management.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

remember that theres nothing wrong turboing the type r, just dont push so much boost. 6-7psi from a large t3/t4 can get you 280whp-300whp with good tuning.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:16 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Not Recommended to Turbo the Type R engine? (orig1nalkhmersta)

Go to your local performance shop that'll be doing your swap and turbo setup and see what they recommend.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not Recommended to Turbo the Type R engine? (litterbox)

It's not only about the higher static compression ratio. The C5 is designed on N/A purposes. Head, chamber, cams, the stock head porting it has, the intake manifold design, valve seats, everything is related as a "team" to work N/A. GSR instead, isn't that developed to the N/A area, there's "more work left to do". You could say C1 engine is at the point where you decide if going turbo or N/A when designing the engine, and GSR cams are great for turbo also, dunno the engineer reason, but that's what experience has told (if you want you can check dyno runs graphs on http://www.boosted-hybrids.com, for example).

I'd personally go GSR, but here in Venezuela, LS is the top-line, 'cause the B16s you can find are only OBD0

Old 02-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not Recommended to Turbo the Type R engine? (Imprezor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Imprezor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and GSR cams are great for turbo

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ITR cams are even better.

Old 02-07-2005, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Orange Rice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wat u think about a K20 Swap on an Ek? well anything else u might tell me that helps will be nice thanx

:-D</TD></TR></TABLE>

K20

a turbo K20 tuned right will 0wn all
Old 02-07-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Not Recommended to Turbo the Type R engine? (Burns)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Burns &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

K20

a turbo K20 tuned right will 0wn all </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea man if you have the money go with the k20
Old 02-07-2005, 04:17 PM

has the k20 been done yet on an eg? I'd like to see that if anyone has an example.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TUNING, TUNING, TUNING, TUNING, TUNING, TUNING!!!!!!!

There's no black magic about the Type-R motor or high compression in general. Just get a great tune and keep an eye on your equipment.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SL!M)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SL!M &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">has the k20 been done yet on an eg? I'd like to see that if anyone has an example.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's a few in this thread https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=962600
Old 02-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MF rodrez.)

**** a spoon motor

buy a b18c5 and boost it

a 255 lph fuel pump
rc 550 injectors
and uberdata or hondata and your good to go
oh and a dyno tune as well
Old 02-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SL!M)

for Slim... http://www.hybrid-racing.com/

they do K20 swaps on almost Bethnig i think and i saw the video of the owner raced a evo 8 and won!!! stock internals and ecu.....
K20 Eg won nice!!!!

Thanx for all the info... might consider a K20
Old 02-07-2005, 05:19 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Orange Rice)

Basic rule for turboing a motor:

Upgrade the rods, pistons, and if cash for it, the crank. Id get a lower compression and more torque with different rods/ crank but those arent too out there for a ITR.

When you boost, id really get some powerful connecting rods, I know the B18C5 is great, it really is, but too much boost will blow some stock internals on most Honda engines.

Id try to drop the compression a tad with like a thicker head gasket, up your rods, definatly switch to a synthetic oil, and to a proper high quality turbo.

That all being said, why do you want a TURBO? If cost isnt a big issue, a blower would be MUCH better, especially for street driving. Some people knock on superchargers, but there is no lag, which helps, and if you get a good one, the same bypass and wastegate control of a turbo. Also, I reccomend not using a blow-off valve; people like the sound, but by recycling the air back through the intake before the blower, you slow it down slower, still dont have it ruined by the backpressure of a closed throttle, and you have a quicker WOT accelleration after gear change. Its a better system.

Any more info youd like, Ill get ya professional references. Hit me up on IM.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Redline96LX)

the stock cranks in these motors are more than enough for majority of us. No need to replace it unless doing something serious.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: (adictionbass)

the guy that polished, balanced my stock crank told me that hondas have some of the best factory cranks...

im pretty sure a stock honda crank could easily hold upwards of 25 psi at least... you dont hear too much about probs with the stock crank

Quick Reply: Not Recommended to Turbo the Type R engine?