Notices

Not overheating, but coolant overflow gets filled to the top

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not overheating, but coolant overflow gets filled to the top

I have a turbo'd f22b1. Specs are F22b1, log mani, t3t4 t04e .57trim, 450 dsm injectors, SAFC (timing pulled back, I know I know, switching soon) 2.5" dp + exhaust with no cat.

Car is running cool and NEVER overheats. On long drives of about 45min straight or more the overflow tank will fill up to the brim and sometimes flow out causing me to lose coolant. I DON"T have water in the oil and I DON'T have oil in the water. When reving with the radiator cap off, the water does not shoot out, but acts normal.

I just replaced the cap and thermostat, but maybe I need a high pressure cap? I don't know. Anyone ever delt with this problem? It seemed to happen after I went from stock exhaust to 2.5". Oh and I've been running on 8lbs of boost.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not overheating, but coolant overflow gets filled to the top (technine)

Also, I've been running this turbo setup for 5 months @ 120 miles a day 5 days a week. I don't beat on it a lot and change the oil and check coolant and etc regularly.

Vacuum gauge reads 20in @ idle and if I blip the throttle it goes to 22-23in vacuum.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:47 AM
mrx
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Not overheating, but coolant overflow gets filled to the top (technine)

on my engine i had the same... was a blocked radiator and therefore permanent light overheating (not visible on stock water temp gauge, but visible for the ECU) and it ended up with a blown head gasket.

afterwards, i think that the gasket was already blown when the overflow reservoir was happening...

i had also no oil in water or other way around... car had run fine all the time until big boom ;-)

but maybe it's something else... it was just my experience...
Old 04-03-2008, 12:36 PM
STAR

Sounds like you need a higher pressure radiator cap, they are designed to relieve (at a certain pressure) the radiator of said pressure by opening and allowing coolant to flow into the over flow tank.

The real question is why exactly did it start doing this.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

high pressure cap is a bandaid, not a solution. I'd start with a compression test and a leak down test. If those both check out, you could be lifting the head. Do you have head studs?
Old 04-03-2008, 03:04 PM

Default Re: (Bakeoff)

just try a new radiator cap, I have had this happen numerous times with cheap caps that fail.

drove me crazy the first time I even pulled the head to check it, wasted time all along it was the stupid cap.

I wouldn't really suggest a high pressure cap, just a quality replacement, preferably dealer cap.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

I have a 1.3bar cap on the way coming in a few days. My coworker let me use his compression tester so I will be testing maybe tomorrow or this weekend. The engine is completely stock except for the turbo setup and exhaust so no aftermarket headstuds.

This all started happening after I built my 2.5" exhaust, before this I had no problems what so ever running my stock exhaust, 2.5" downpipe setup for about 10k or 12k miles and then after 2 days of 2.5" exhaust I get this. The gauge even reads a little COOLER than when I had stock exhaust so go figure.

I'm really dreading of a blown head gasket, but I guess the compression check will tell me. Do you really think there could be head lift at 8lbs?
Old 04-03-2008, 03:31 PM
STAR

Default Re: (Bakeoff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bakeoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">high pressure cap is a bandaid, not a solution. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Definitely, I wasn't saying to just get a high pressure cap and forget about it, but for the time being its an OK temp fix.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

So let's say the compression check is ok, then what do I do? Replace the headgasket anyway? Do you think maybe there is a blockage? somewhere? Could the water pump be bad (I don't see how it could cause too much pressure though)?
Old 04-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (technine)

Is it a stock radiator?Do a coolant system leakdown test.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (NJIN BUILDR)

It's a relatively new radiator. I bought it about a year ago and it has no leaks at all from what I can see.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:21 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agrn93ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just try a new radiator cap, I have had this happen numerous times with cheap caps that fail.

drove me crazy the first time I even pulled the head to check it, wasted time all along it was the stupid cap.

I wouldn't really suggest a high pressure cap, just a quality replacement, preferably dealer cap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do yourself a favor and read what I typed, I am a tech, have experience over ten years, and been through your exact situation, instead of stressing and asking a thousand questions, go get a 5$ cap and try that. if that dont work then go to the next step.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (agrn93ls)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agrn93ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

do yourself a favor and read what I typed, I am a tech, have experience over ten years, and been through your exact situation, instead of stressing and asking a thousand questions, go get a 5$ cap and try that. if that dont work then go to the next step.</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.d-series.org/forums...83645

yep hes right. I had the same exact issues as u 2 bad radiator caps until my friend let me borrow his oem integra radiator cap. problem solved. this problem drove me nuts and it was just a stupid radiator cap.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (91integraLSVTEC)

maybe the radiator cap thats on there now is bad, and wont hold pressure before dumping into the overflow. you can pressure test the cap with the proper tools, but new caps are cheap. the higher pressure cap doesnt have to be a bandaid...it could be the fix.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (philafelman)

When the engine cools is the coolant being drawn back into the radiator from the overflow?

Old 04-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agrn93ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

do yourself a favor and read what I typed, I am a tech, have experience over ten years, and been through your exact situation, instead of stressing and asking a thousand questions, go get a 5$ cap and try that. if that dont work then go to the next step.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am listening and following your advice. I have a 1.3bar radiator cap on the way. It's coming soon.

I just checked the compression and it looks like this: 182-182-178-185

Looks good to me. I just wonder why it seems to be building more pressure now. Maybe because the exhaust gave me more hp? I am really at a loss of what to think.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (maddog20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maddog20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When the engine cools is the coolant being drawn back into the radiator from the overflow?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, the coolant is being sucked back, but most of the coolant was lost while driving so the radiator needs to be filled afterwards.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:15 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by technine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I am listening and following your advice. I have a 1.3bar radiator cap on the way. It's coming soon.

I just checked the compression and it looks like this: 182-182-178-185

Looks good to me. I just wonder why it seems to be building more pressure now. Maybe because the exhaust gave me more hp? I am really at a loss of what to think.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well what if its not building more, just holding less?

thats what happens when the seal gets worn or the spring gets weak.

oh and congrats on the consistency in compression, that is great
Old 04-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well what if its not building more, just holding less?

thats what happens when the seal gets worn or the spring gets weak.

oh and congrats on the consistency in compression, that is great
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just replaced the cap with a 1.3bar that I got in the mail the other day and I'm still having the same issue. I did another compression test and it was pretty much consistant with the other test.

Something weird I found while looking at the engine bay after I drove around for 30min. I saw coolant that seemed to spray out of either where the cap sits or from the tube that connects to the hose that goes to the overflow tank. I need to check out maybe it is my cap that is lifting slightly causing this to happen. I'll recheck the surface of where the cap sits and make sure it sits and forms a tight seal.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

definitely sounds like your rad cap. I would also consider getting a new rad if a new cap doesn't solve your problem
Old 04-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (jewjew bean)

Just checked out the cap and radiator and it seemed fine. I definitly think it's headgasket. I have one on the way so I will be changing it out. I will check the torque spex on the head bolts first, maybe they are a little on the loose side causing head lifting.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try backing off some timing and see if things change.

Modified by zex_cool at 5:48 PM 4/9/2008
Old 04-09-2008, 03:38 PM

head lifting
Old 04-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (b16a4)

if youre taking the head off, replace the bolts with some stronger head studs.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zex_cool)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zex_cool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try backing off some timing and see if things change.

Modified by zex_cool at 5:48 PM 4/9/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did. Power smoothed out a little, but still the same thing.

Quick Reply: Not overheating, but coolant overflow gets filled to the top