Notices

Not a Honda.. but FI nontheless

Old 09-19-2008, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a Honda.. but FI nontheless

First I gotta say I've been a long time member of HT.. and I have to thank this board for evertying I've learned (and things I'm continuing to learn) about FI and cars in general. So please, no flames about this car not being a Honda or w/e.. I'm just showing you my ride and my new turbo setup.

So with that out of the way, here we go....

Here's the initial tear-down:

I covered the exhaust ports so I wouldn't get any dirt and other foreign objects in there:

Here's the Mishimoto radiator... it's a beautiful unit:

A shot of the radiator in - with stock fans:

Here's a pic of the drill bit size you'll need to start a hole for tapping the manifold for EGT bung (Autometer EGT):

Pic of the manifold ready for drill and tap - sorry didn't get pics of right after:

Here's the heart of it all (for those not knowing - it's a T04E 50trim / T3 .48 AR Stage 2 Ball-Bearing):

Water lines installed on turbo:

Turbo mounted for a mock-up:

More mock-ups:

Water lines installed to in/out of coolant lines using 5/8" T's supplied by Turbonetics.. very nice I might add. I had originally thought the lines would be too long, but they were just fine.

Here's what's needed to fit Mishimoto radiator with stock fans on a Turbonetics Kit for a TC.. you see there's a notch that needs to be made on the shroud:

Pic of the intercooler. Notice on the newer kits, the "Spearco" logo has been replaced with "Turbonetics". It's still a Spearco core.. I actually used some Acetone to remove the logo.

Here's the mock up of the boost solenoid from my Gizzmo MS-IBC boost controller:

Just to show you the wiring mess from the Innovate Lambda LC-1 wideband:

Here's a nice clean install of the supplied LED and Calibration button for the LC-1 wideband:

The kit's fitment was actually pretty good except for two areas. One was the down-pipe bracket (we'll get to that in a bit), and the other was the cold pipe fitting too close to the front body shell (as you can see I used some rubber to help.. and please excuse the blurry pic):

Here's a pic of the kit installed - before testing and whatnot:

Another pic (you can see the EGT bung and sensor installed):

Pic of TurboToyotas vac block (Thanks Todd!) and the Gizzmo solenoid both installed:

Mishimoto radiator cap and safety chain:

Pic of gauges and what not... sorry for the blurry pic again:

All done - but where's the intercooler, yo?!

There it is! I had reservations before about having my IC showing.. and I thought about painting it black. But after the install, I found out the stock grill fits perfectly.. so problem solved!

So there you have it.. my install weekend. Here is a list of a couple of problems with the kit in particular:

1.) MAF screws were kinda crappy - they're small and use a hex wrench... can easily be stripped so be careful!

2.) Down-pipe has a bracket that's supposed to bolt to the block where the stock bracket was. This couldn't happen for me.. so it's left there but it's tight against the block and not making any noise. I'll probably have the shop that's doing my exhaust modify it.

3.) Cold pipe too close to the frame/body shell. I used a rubber hose, split one end, and used it as a cushion with some zip-ties. All good now.

4.) Exahust manifold needed to be "altered" a little. The far left edge, closest to alternator, the manifold would get caught on there, making fitment an issue. A grinding stone on a Dremel worked out well. Sorry I forgot to take a pic of this. Wasn't too big of an issue.. just wished T'netics would've done it themselves.

5.) Tapping the oil pan was hard as a ****. There wasn't too much clearance between the lower support (holding radiator) and the pan.. so I couldn't get much momentum on my swing. It eventually happend and turned out great. I used JB Weld around the fitting just to be extra safe. I'll try and get pics of this later some time.

6.) For whatever reason, one of the injector harnesses had different butt-connectors on them.. and it was really hard to crimp. Sure enough, this crimp had failed and it caused the engine to throw a Cyl 3 Misfire code. I changed the butt-connector and everything was gravy.

7.) The O2 boss extender supplied is knocking against the frame - and it only happens when I'm slipping the clutch in 1st gear or reverse since those usually the only times the exhaust can shake a bit. This is probably the only issue that is kind of annoying.

Wow - so that looks like a lot of negatives. But in all honesty, none of those issues were a big deal. They made install a bit longer than expected, but none of the issues couldn't be resolved in a manner to which I was not pleased.

The Turbonetics Turbo Kit seems to be an excellent fitting kit with some minor issues. So far the car feels great, but I'm on stock exhaust. I'm on 8psi right now, and I won't turn up the boost until I get on a dyno. As of right now my LC-1 shows me at 11.5 - 11.7 at WOT, so I think I'll stay there. Who knows, maybe the LC-1 is off and needs another calibration.

I'm loving the Gizzmo MS-IBC but I do have to say the controls are a bit tricky. It's kinda hard to accurately press both buttons at the same time to get to a new menu screen.

A 3" exhaust and some dynos should be just around the corner. I'm hoping to have this done within a month's time.

So feel free to share your thoughts and comments.. thanks again, HT.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tell me more about the motor in the TC's
size stock power how high can you rev them relatively safely?

what are you using to tune? is there programming for scions?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:47 AM

Default Re: (spoolin turbo s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoolin turbo s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tell me more about the motor in the TC's
size stock power how high can you rev them relatively safely?

what are you using to tune? is there programming for scions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

2.4L 88.5mm x 96mm = 2360cc
Rev limit = 6,500
DOHC w/ Constant Variable Valve Timing
160hp/163lbft

People have been using the Greddy eManage Ult to raise the rev limit. Stock heads have seen about 7,000rpm safely. Others use Supertech valve trains to go to go over 8,000rpm.

The Turbonetics kit comes with a Unichip piggyback - it controls open and closed loop. I'm going to use this until a better (in my opinion) EMS comes out. Currently there's the AEM EMS, Hydra Nemesis, and Motec.. for piggybacks there are the eManages and AEM F/IC.

There are a few out there with 9-10psi making about 300whp on T04E 54 and 57 trims with the F/IC and eManage.. so I'm shooting for just a little less since my turbo is a bit smaller.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rob03Pro5)

seems like a cool motor to boost and build

that turbo is capable of 400-420 whp just not at 9-10 psi
Old 09-19-2008, 10:33 AM

Default Re: (spoolin turbo s)

lol.. ya I know.

There's someone with a built TC with lower compression pistons and minor headwork which made 443whp at 22psi on this exact setup. But I think he was tuned with a Motec 400.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:50 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Love turbo TC's. Torque is crazy. That turbonetics one is probably one of the best bolt on kits for that car. Didnt like the greddy too much.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (importdps)

nice setup. i have that same cd player by the way...i i hate it
Old 09-19-2008, 11:59 AM

Default Re: (H22Honda98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22Honda98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice setup. i have that same cd player by the way...i i hate it </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it blows.. I'll eventually swap it out for an Alpine or Eclipse
Old 09-19-2008, 07:30 PM

not a fan of Scions but looks nice.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondaLovin)

looks good
Old 09-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Love those cars but they dont sell them in Canada
Old 09-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbocivic94)

lame, my post got deleted.... what ever... any reason your not posting this on scionlife or something? Usually when i see a thread with your title its something insane like a 1000whp vette...
Old 09-21-2008, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blinx9900)

Looks like a well engineered kit

Old 09-21-2008, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the comments, everyone.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member