Notices

Is it normal to see small droplets of oil from turbo compressor outlet while reving

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it normal to see small droplets of oil from turbo compressor outlet while reving

I noticed I was seeing blue smoke from exhaust while reving above 5K, at idle and low rpm no smoke. My compression numbers seem fine. 198 198 197 198 However, while reving the engine with the IC piping off I noticed a small amount of oil running up from the inside of the compressor housing and depositing on the outlet rim. Is this normal for a new turbo? The down pipe is connected so I dont know if is throwing oil out there as well. Its really not a heavy flow from the comp. just a constant trickle. Please give some advise could this cause smoking at high rpm. or should I look further.

Modified by jetlude at 12:31 AM 2/17/2007
Old 02-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Is it normal to see small droplets of oil from turbo compressor outlet while reving (jetlude)

First, you need to get your terminology straight. The 'cold side' is the compressor, and the 'hot side' (exhaust) is the turbine. When the piping is disconnected from the compressor outlet, it lets the turbo freewheel (can overspin easily). And since Hondas run high oil pressure, it needs pressure from the boost it creates to push back on the oil in the center cartridge.

My guess is you don't have a small enough oil restrictor, and its pushing past your seals. There should be virtually no oil leaving the turbo, assuming the compressor seals are still good.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it normal to see small droplets of oil from turbo compressor outlet while reving (jetlude)

Sounds like it is time for a turbo repair or upgrade. Your turbo is showing signs of either age or damage. These are some of the early signs of your turbo having a problem. At this stage in the game it will still work but it will be killing it's self in the process. It will also be more expensive to fix the longer you drive it.

Here is a list of turbo companies to consider.
Limit Egineering
Precision Turbo
Blouch turbo
Bullseye Power
Forced Inductions
Turbonetics
There are many more good ones out there.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Is it normal to see small droplets of oil from turbo compressor outlet while reving (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First, you need to get your terminology straight. The 'cold side' is the compressor, and the 'hot side' (exhaust) is the turbine.

My bad, Actually the oil is coming from inside the compressor.

[QUOTE=HiProfile]When the piping is disconnected from the compressor outlet, it lets the turbo freewheel (can overspin easily). And since Hondas run high oil pressure, it needs pressure from the boost it creates to push back on the oil in the center cartridge.

My guess is you don't have a small enough oil restrictor, and its pushing past your seals. There should be virtually no oil leaving the turbo, assuming the compressor seals are still good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you saying this is normal for the oil to trickle out because there is no pressure in at the comp outlet?
Old 02-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If oil is coming from both housings you may have a drain issue. The turbo will allow oil to leak into both housings if it can't drain the oil fast enough from the bearing housing. The 2 seal next to each wheel has a .012 gap that faces up and if oil reach a level that is higher than the gaps it oil will leak into both the housings. The samething can happen when the oil pressure is too high. The turbo can't drain the oil fast enough.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i say get a smaller restrictor and see if it stops. if not then your seal prob went out