Notices

Noob needs help turbocharging b18b1

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob needs help turbocharging b18b1

Hello guys, a couple of weeks ago I purchased a 1996 integra RS, and was wondering what it would take to run a relatively low PSI turbo on my B18B1. I have absolutely 0 experience with this sort of stuff, so I need all the help I can get.

First of all, I found this kit on Amazon (not the first place I'd expect to find a turbo kit to be honest), but anyway here it is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...RM3GM0WVWT7FRJ.

Now the question is, can I purchase this kit and bolt it on while keeping my engine stock? What kind of power can I expect out of it? If I need to mod my engine for it, exactly what am I suppose to replace? If this is a crappy kit, can you give me a link to one that's better? Will this kit allow me to keep my AC (live in Florida so you know how hot it can get here...)? And finally, is there anything else important that I need to know about turbocharging a B18B1?

Thanks! And excuse my noobishness.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Noob needs help turbocharging b18b1

Everyone was a noob at some point in time. U can boost safely on stock internals as long as u don't get happy with the boost controller. I wouldn go past 8 psi. If u do buy a kit make sure it comes with better injectors or u buy some and a good fuel pump. U will also need a missing link to avoid cels or hondata or some kind of engine management. As for the ac I strongly suggest looking for a kit that says ac compatible such as the drag turbo kit. If it doesn't say ac compatible chances are its not. Get it right the first time. Power output will depend on how good of a tune and kit u buy. I would say 200 at the wheels at least around 8psi give or take.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by W!d3b0dYr3X
Everyone was a noob at some point in time. U can boost safely on stock internals as long as u don't get happy with the boost controller. I wouldn go past 8 psi. If u do buy a kit make sure it comes with better injectors or u buy some and a good fuel pump. U will also need a missing link to avoid cels or hondata or some kind of engine management. As for the ac I strongly suggest looking for a kit that says ac compatible such as the drag turbo kit. If it doesn't say ac compatible chances are its not. Get it right the first time. Power output will depend on how good of a tune and kit u buy. I would say 200 at the wheels at least around 8psi give or take.
Crome and Neptune are used with the ECU, so no seperate engine management system is required. Missing link is old skool and not used anymore. We like our map sensors now and they can handle up to 11lbs of boost.
Usually Good kits have most of the hardware,
Spoolinperformance.com
Go-autoworks.com

Autoworks kits are most complete.

just need injectors,clips, Chipped ECU, Fuel pump, Clutch, Radiator and Fan then a tune.
Check Xenocron.com for injector pump combo deal. Spend the extra $$ and get the walbro.
Expect to pay 2000-3000 and make sure to have extra $$ for when something breaks.. trust me, something will break.

Now after you have your car going fast, do you have the suspension for this new power? Brakes?

I wouldnt rely on stock components which are designed for the original spec of the car.

This article is out of date, but you should read it as your a noob and will save this forum alot of answered questions.
http://beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html
Old 03-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^if he's not wanting to build his motor or really doesn have the cash to drop on high end stuff 5-8 psi on a kit would be fine on stock internals. Can u explain y it is neccessary for a clutch, suspension, brakes, radiator and fan? I ran my b18 on 8 psi for three years on all stock internals, stock clutch, stock radiator, stock suspension, and stock fans with no problems. If he's looking for maybe a 20 percent increase then the stock components are well capable of that. And yes I know that missing links are old school but they are less than hondata, chrome, or neptune. Also the link u provided contains some decent info, however some of it is false and needs to be edited. For example under the wastegate section the first pic talks about using bigger vacuum lines. However in the pic that is clearly not a wastegate for anyones info. That is a vortech fmu which is used when using a stock injectors. U can clearly see the v/s symbol on top and if needed I can post pics of one exactly like that ran on my old setup that was bone stock except for the turbo kit. My turbo blew before anything due to a shop using teflon tape on the oil inlet when servicing my car.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was running 8lbs of boost on a stock ls with a basemap tune and 540 injectors and it did fine for a few years untill i finally broke a piston. just dont beat on it every day like i did. I got a problem here though if anyone can help i just rebuilt it but i bought it used and never noticed that the map sensor is plugged into a vaccum wire with a bunch of air filters on it. does anyone know what the hell is up with this and can i use the stock one in the throttle body? the dude i got the car from was a dipshit so im not sure it even has to be like this
Old 07-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No clue