Notices

this noob finally going turbo! please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this noob finally going turbo! please help

Wassup ya'll! after a few months of collecting a few parts and about a month and half at honda-tech, i am getting close to finally piecing my custom/junkyard turbo together! i got the basics down but still have a few questions laying around. first, what is the difference between a pyrometer and an egt gauge? i checked the Autometer website and they seem completely different. Anyone care to enlighten me on this? also, from what i've been reading, i learned that autometer's a/f gauge is pretty pointless and a waste of money. what are my options? i've been to the diy wideband site but that thing looks way too complicated for me and can't really cough up $500.00+ for a built one. what are my options on measuring fuel ratio so i won't blow up my car? hope you guys can help out. thanx
Old 07-06-2002, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: this noob finally going turbo! please help (theory48)

pyrometer and egt guage are the same thing. an a/f meter like the autometer will give you info that will be useful in makings sure you don't mess up your car and will give a ballpark figure for tuning, but not much more. I've just got a voltage reading circuit running off the o2, and will have an egt and boost gauge when I get it all installed in a while...
Old 07-06-2002, 06:33 PM

Default Re: this noob finally going turbo! please help (ion_four)

what's a voltage reading circuit?
Old 07-06-2002, 06:38 PM
New User

Default Re: this noob finally going turbo! please help (theory48)

He probably just has a display in the car reading the voltage from the o2 sensor. That is pretty much the same thing as the autometer af gauge. All the stock o2 sensor is there for is accounting for different grades of gas, it's an economy tool not a performace tool. A real wideband or and egt is the only way to keep an eye on your af ratio while driving.