Notices

Noob to FI, need a few Qs answered.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob to FI, need a few Qs answered.

First off, sorry if this is a common question (which I'm sure it is) but after a few searches I couldn't really find anything in layman terms that answered my questions.

I have an Accord wagon with a STOCK f22a and I'm looking to boost it. The thing is, I'm not sure where to start. I know of the A/R ratio making a difference on when the boost kicks in and the powerband depending on how big of displacement the motor is pushing, but that doesn't help me in narrowing down my choices of turbo. And when I find a turbo, what do I do for a manifold/downpipe? Or are there companies that make these based on the flange of the turbo/application it's going on?

A friend of mine with a boosted Miata recommended I get my standalone software running right BEFORE I go and turbo the car. He recommended I even go as far as put the injectors and fueling all together to make sure it all runs right before I go ahead and put the snail on.

I've heard of AEM and Hondata for ECUs, would these be what I'm looking for? Is there any basic noob guide for FI? I've looked thru the FAQs and nothing really breaks it down as basic as I'd like

Anyone with any insight?

Modified by Barry White Wagon at 7:57 PM 8/30/2008
Old 08-30-2008, 07:32 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1024174
Old 08-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HybridcivicLS-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HybridcivicLS-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1024174</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Barry White Wagon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First off, sorry if this is a common question (which I'm sure it is) but after a few searches I couldn't really find anything in layman terms that answered my questions.

I've looked thru the FAQs and nothing really breaks it down as basic as I'd like
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks though. I've been sitting here reading as much as I can for a few hours, but still don't know where to start out. I want to order a standalone, and believe I've narrowed it down to Hondata, but don't know which model I should go with and why.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:14 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

its there bud.

there are lots o fuel managment
neptune
hondata
crome
ectune
uberdata
aem
haltech
autotronic
motec.......point is there's a bunch. the difference is price and finding a tuner to do it.

i your new to it your best bet would be to buy a kit for your vehicle, we have tons of sponsors on here that sell kits. then you have everything you will need.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was considering doing that... is that really the best route the first time? I was figuring I'd save myself a good $1k if I pieced it together. I was looking at a lot of the kits and they were asking $2500 and that doesn't even include the "fueling package". Any good sponsors you can direct me towards maybe?
Old 08-30-2008, 08:39 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

i can direct you to this link and then you can make personal choices.

from my experience I saved quit a bit, but I know where i can save because I've done it for quit sometime. usually it still comes out to about the same, i just get to put every part together that suits what i want.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HybridcivicLS-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i can direct you to this link and then you can make personal choices.

from my experience I saved quit a bit, but I know where i can save because I've done it for quit sometime. usually it still comes out to about the same, i just get to put every part together that suits what i want.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What link?
Old 08-30-2008, 08:51 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: (Barry White Wagon)

https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum/49

sorry, watching rescue me
Old 08-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I've done some more looking around, and think I may go with a kit, but can anyone shed some light on engine management/fueling? I was thinking I'd buy an S300 or something separate, or would that be overkill on my first kit that I probably won't do too much tuning on?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Puttin this to the top one more time for anyone who wants to help out a new guy
Old 09-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Or is there someone knowledgeable I could perhaps PM with some questions?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:08 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

any fuel management isn't over kill for a turbo set up. regardless to the amount of boost you still need a good management
Old 09-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I've decided on the Treadstone kit with the Hondata s300 for tuning, paired with a 6puck street clutch from ACT. All thats left is injectors. What would you recommend? After some searching, I think I've decided to go with 450cc for starters, does this sound good? Any good companies you can recommend for injectors?

Will I need to run an upgraded fuel pump as well? Or does my stock fuel pump flow well enough?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Treadstone? aka ebay xspower/ssautochrome garbage? Or am I thinking of the wrong thing here?