Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

NonovUrbizniz's D16Z6 Turbo Build - like the Energizer Bunny, It keeps on going

NonovUrbizniz's D16Z6 Turbo Build - like the Energizer Bunny, It keeps on going

Old 04-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: NonovUrbizniz's D16Z6 Turbo Build - like the Energizer Bunny, It keeps on going

Originally Posted by NonovUrbizniz View Post
And a glimer of hope shines through the clouds... FJ had ONE set of rods left for me after filling all the preorders. Should be shipped out today or tomorrow, so all I need now is:

Miscalaneous silicon couplers/clamps
HG
Machine work on the block/head
Slim fan
45deg elbow for turbo inlet
oil sandwich/turbo feed/filter/line

Still have a lot of work to do though:

Wire up all sensors/gauges
relay wire up the fuel pump
mount the catchcan/breather
mount slimfan
rebuild trans/install lsd
assemble engine/head
install

ugh. lol. Shouldn't be too long now... I've got all the major **** out of the way.
So everything on the too buy list is done, except for the oil feed line. For now I'm going to get it up and running stock so I can iron out any kinks before having to stress over all the new components.

**Warning long and boring to reflect the nightmare this build has been**

When I started this build I had blown my motor basically being a moron, it was low on oil and I was beating on it on a hot day revving it way too high and it spun a bearing.

My friend was working at/running his dad's gas station that we had all been using since we were kids to work on our cars. His father let me keep the car there and work on it. So the chassis and a bunch of parts were there. A bunch of parts were at my apartment a couple towns away.

Well fast forward 1-2 years and my buddy ran his business into the ground and I had 2 days notice to clear out my car and parts... Transmission was GONE... he had no idea where it was. The missing trans was a replacement I had because I had a bad ISB on my stock trans and there was a guy local that had a trans for 75 bucks but I had to swap in my stock VSS.

So now I've got my original trans no VSS so like a dummy I order the parts from Majestic instead of just picking up a used VSS for like 20 bucks.

*end pure drama begin mechanical drama**

I started the transmission rebuild. It was a huge pain getting the case apart.

First when trying to get the cover 3/8ths bolt out I didn't have a torch, it wouldn't come out with an impact wrench, on a big compressor/tank @ 150psi. Tried using my traditional impact socket driver that didn't do it. The square was getting furled. So I called it quits for the night and came back the next afternoon and stopped and got a propane torch on the way.

Day 2 I went back, put some heat in the case and the cover bolt came right out. I spent like 2hrs trying to get the circlip to hold open while I jiggled the case by myself. Finally someone else got there and I had them hold the circlip open to get the case split. By then it was late and I Called quits again.

This was 2 days I took off work in the hopes of busting out the trans and getting the motor/head/trans in the car so I could wire/plumb everything that weekend and have it running by that Sunday.

Day 3 - Pull off the mainshaft/countershaft and start inspecting everything... the plastic retaining gate from the ISB machined itself and worked itself through the tranny pretty well. I end up having to go to Autozone to get a slide hammer to get all the bearings out to inspect behind them. I'm pissed. lol.

Day 4 - Get the stock diff out super easy... don't have any pullers that will work on the diff bearings... Go to harbor freight and get the right tools and grab a mount for my dial indicator so I can check the run out.

Get the stock bearings off the stock diff, get the final drive off it and onto the Mfactory Diff...

Still have to clean out the case and figured out I didn't have the oil seals for the case so I couldn't even get the diff done.

F'ing thing sits apart waiting to get even MORE stripped apart before I can even start putting it back together.

The Wheel bearings I thought where getting done by my buddy aren't, he tells me he can't get them out with the spindles off the car... I'm like WTF?!?!? I'm going to lol. He's a full time mechanic.

The IAT sensor flange I thought was getting welded to the y8 Intake manifold didn't get welded...

The engine that I was really happy with after having a quick conversation with the builder I thought he really knew his ****... turns out not so much... he told me that people were wrong about putting the pistons in backwards and that he was sure because they're offset and have to be this way blah blah... I do a little investigating and start thinking he's wrong or confused, talk to him about it and he's like... uh yeah I didn't check which side the offset was on. I just knew they were offset so I pointed them the way they're "supposed" to go...

I know it doesn't REALLY matter (if anything backwards they'll make slightly more power at the cost of more wear/noise)... but I'd like it to be as quite and smooth as possible and everything else is aimed towards high rpm so I think I'm going to take one piston out check it myself to be 100pct sure where the offset is and get it pointed towards the Major Thrust surface like it should be.

The AEM fuel rail I got is blued although they've told me to send it to them and they'll inspect it and likely replace it.

Tons of the parts have started to surface rust.... everything is just wearing on me at this point...

Keep in mind I also have 2 kids 8 and 11 that I have full time w/o a spouse plus full time job so... time and energy are scarce resources... and dumping money into a worthless car isn't exactly seeming bright to me anymore.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: NonovUrbizniz's D16Z6 Turbo Build - like the Energizer Bunny, It keeps on going

Pictures...

Tranny

Crapped out ISB

I've managed to do a couple other things... My GC/Koni setup was getting rusty and I had the old style sleeves/collars with seized up lock bolts... so I ordered new style sleeves/perches... Meantime I stripped and painted the front shocks:

Before

After

Some misc. parts I also painted:

So I have the ISB and oil seals on order, 2 of my ARP washers for the headstuds went missing so I ordered 2 of those. and I have to send out my AEM fuel rail.

This weekend I'm hoping to get the trans fully stripped down to the shafts, clean EVERYTHING and get it all back together if the ISB shows up in time. Otherwise get everything else re-assembled and ready for the ISB.

I only have friday and part of saturday to get anything done.

I have more pictures of more stuff I've done but like everything else my laptop and camera are both being ridiculously moody.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Should have ordered the friction dampers with the ISB and seals... everything is all apart now, I'm glad I took the time to clean it... it was filthy and several of the oil orifices were clogged. A bunch of the gears/collars had thick muck built up between them and the shafts...

this is what I used to get the bearings off the countershaft, after those are off you can just use wood under the gearsets to get them off the shafts.

Messed up upper damper, lower one was fine:

Some bits of the bearing gate that were stuck between synchros

oil/plastic/metal **** that was blocking the oil valley of this collar:

Everything all clean:

Diff, counter, and main shafts are sitting in a freezer, I'm going to order the dampers and hopefully have everything buttoned up next weekend fairly quickly.

Once the transmission is all sealed up. I have to take the engine apart again.

Despite having discussed it before sending it out and me thinking the builder knew what he was talking about he put the vitara's in backwards IE facing towards the crank. Originally he said it was to compensate for the offset but when I grilled him a little more as to which side was offset he had no idea, so from looking at pics on the web it seems pretty clear that the stock d16 pistons and the vitara pistons are both offset towards the intake valves which means to have them in correctly and easing the transition between minor and major thrust surfaces they have to "backwards" with the arrow towards the FW.

I know this has been covered a million times but he made me think he was basing his actions on knowledge and physical measurements... which he wasn't lol...

So AGW I should have that done be the end of next weekend then I can start getting everything back in the car and get her running again.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly man, i had my vitaras pointing toward the #1 cylinder and that engine ran fine for the 10k miles i put on it, the few thousand miles the guy i sold it to put on it, and i actually saw it on craigslist again for sale still running fine, 4 years later.

i know its your build, but i saw no adverse effects of having them installed that way. for a while after vitaras were "discovered" people were putting them in this way and making power
Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for single cam
Old 04-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blackeg View Post
honestly man, i had my vitaras pointing toward the #1 cylinder and that engine ran fine for the 10k miles i put on it, the few thousand miles the guy i sold it to put on it, and i actually saw it on craigslist again for sale still running fine, 4 years later.

i know its your build, but i saw no adverse effects of having them installed that way. for a while after vitaras were "discovered" people were putting them in this way and making power
Yeah I hear ya and I don't doubt it would be fine, but with that coupled with me doubting the guy a little more than I'd like, it having pretty heavy resistance to spinning, I'd almost like to open it up to check a couple other things too...

I'm still not 100pct that I will even swap them around, this whole build is just dragging and dragging and dragging, and I know I have at least 2 or 3 more hurtles between getting it running NA and getting the turbo stuff all hooked up and plumbed for tuning.

Still have to work out my hot side piping, oil feed and drain. I have most of what I need and know what I have to order for the rest but I want to have it all together and recheck a couple things before I order the feed line or finalize the drain. Same goes for the hotside piping... so I may just close it up and go as is... but I might not.

As long as I get my tranny parts by this weekend and can get it all buttoned up I'll be happy at this point. Then I'll use next weekend to figure out if I'm going to rip into the bottom end again or not. I already bought a ring compressor which was all that really stopped me from just doing it myself... I figured I'd just get it done by someone with tons of experience... whoops.

Also got the AEM Fuel rail off the intake I got back from the engine guy. I'll send that out hopefully they send a replacement. By the time I get it back the guy I know locally who will weld the IAT flange directly to the Y8 manifold in the stock z6 location... so that will be all set.

So quick list:

1. Finish trans
2. Decide on bottom end
3. install/get running stock
4. Drive car for the first time in 3 years lol
5. Install Turbo bits and get running for tuning.

I am going to get a base map from the tuner I'm going to use, and then do a couple of street logs and make any adjustments I need to so it's safe to drive to the tuner. I played with the s300 a little while the car was running so I'm sorta familiar with it. If I can't get it running smooth/safe I'll just tow to the tuner.

I will have dual o2's though, stock for open loop and LC1 wb02 for AFR gauge/tuning. Also have an EGT so I should be pretty set, and I'm not going to hammer on it at all before I get it tuned.

Gotta get a couple more sleep over weekends at my brothers where I keep the car. Might take a couple days off from work to get some things done too...

Cars really are a sickness.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my old valve cover looks good on ur setup
Old 05-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by single cam fan View Post
my old valve cover looks good on ur setup
It does! I actually got all new black anodized fittings for the catch can too so it looks fantastic. I'm going to attempt to do a mock black anodized finish on the valve cover. We'll see.

Mini Update.

Trans is 100pct done and buttoned up. I'm missing a freaking bolt somewhere. I finished that like 3 freaking weeks ago...

Personal/professional life have been kicking my *** so I haven't had any time for the car.

I'm super pissed too because it's REALLY close at this point.

I've decided whether or not it's a big deal I'm swapping the pistons around. I don't want any weird issues with the dwell while tuning the car and frankly after the dude explained to me why it should be installed one way and then did it backwards I'd like to have a look at everything myself anyway.

I was planning on getting that DONE today but got screwed over so No Go. Can't work on it tomorrow so I may just take a couple days off work next week and do two all days on it and have it running.

I turn 35 in a couple weeks so I'd REALLY like to have this at least running non turbo and broken in by then so I can button up the rest and get it tuned.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Trans is done, LSD in.

I stripped apart the engine:

Measured the offsets of the pistons and double checked the P2W clearances which are right around .030 which I think is good... I was leaning towards a little looser but I think it's going to be fine.

The common knowledge of pointing the arrows is correct. the offest is towards the intake side of the piston so they go in facing the FW.

I switched them around and torqued everything back down.

That is basically it. I should be ready to install everything in the car this weekend and maybe even get it started up stock.

I still have to sort out the front wheel bearings. I haven't even started on that although I think with the large bearing separator should be able to act as a good enough brace to get enough force to break them free. Slide hammer and a torch didn't do squat.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I still might CC the head and bores to get an idea of actual displacement and compression ratio... not sure. Might clay it too just for ***** and giggles. Depends on if I go up to my brothers on Friday night or not or what time I get there on Sat. if I don't go Fri.

I want to get the engine/trans all installed in the car at the very least this weekend. Hopefully button up all the wiring/plumbing and fill fluids and give it a start.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't cc or clay the motor, I don't have a buret, so I figured using a 10cc syringe over and over wouldn't be very accurate and I just want to get it running at this point.

I did get a new torque wrench and re-torqed everything. bottom end is all buttoned up torqed down the head, adjusted the valves, and installed the water pipe and black box again for now.

Going to install it with a stock z6 intake manifold and header and break it in NA more for fact that I don't have a tune for the bigger injectors. Plus I will have to smog the car to get it registered so I figure I'll just get that done while it's as stock as possible. Most shops don't care but some do and would fail it if it had a turbo on there even if it passed smog.

Here she is no intake or exhaust, still need to put on the FW and clutch/pp too...

Figure one or two more visits and it should be done. Might take another day off this week or next so I can get it done before my birthday. Gotta get freaking wheel bearings done. Then get it smogged, registered, bang out some break in miles. Then throw all the turbo crap on. I still have some nit picky crap to deal with as far as the turbo install goes.

- Turbo oil feed line
- Wire up LC1
- Hot side piping is pretty ghetto right now.
- Get IAT bung welded to y8 manifold.
- Get AEM fuel rail back from AEM (it was discolored hopefully they're just looking at it and sending me a new one)
- Get base map from Xenocron
- Put ARP manifold studs in where they'll fit for intake and turbo manifold.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice progress, are you gonna paint the motor or leaving as is?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Once everything is up and running nicey nice. and I've driven it for a while, I am prob. going to either get an entirely new chassis and swap everything in painting it on the way... Or just strip down my chassis do all the body work it needs, paint it and all the parts while it's out. That's next year or later at this point. I'm not going to take anything apart this time till I have a solid plan, EVERYTHING I need as far as parts before hand and a clear timeline as to how/when I'm going to get it done.

The car looks like crap, it's got body damage and no attention on top of having sat for 3 years now...
For now I don't think I'm going to bother... I might paint the valve cover for now, def. not the block though. I thought about it but I'm 3 years in at this point. just want to get some seat time in my car lol...

Here's a time lapse video of me assembling the engine:

Old 05-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey why not, I stripped it, cleaned it, and reassembled it again instead of getting it into the car.

This time at least I'm 100pct sure everything is right on. Break away torque is like 9 ft/lbs it turns like a pat of butter on a hot pan.

Here's another time lapes:

http://youtu.be/DlclqHRXMRg
Old 05-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

AEM sent me my replacement fuel rail. The Black Ano coating purpled for some reason but the FPR which was bolted to it didn't... no idea.

Yay.

I'm going to get some work done this weekend and maybe have a startup vid.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bottom end is in. everything else is ready to bolt up stock so I can get it sniffed/registered. Ran out of stream and can't use a hoist where the car is.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well there's been more progress

Bottom end/trans/head,intake,belts, are all set. It's wired up. Almost all plumbed. I still have some shitty bits to deal with.

1. Change cv boot for drivers side axel
2. re assemble front suspension/axles/brakes (F'ing wheel bearings are bad but at this point I'd rather button it up and drive it to my friends station and do them there.)
3. Have to get the exhaust on and header on.

I'm going to basically set it stock to get it registered and break it in. Then I'll tear it all down again, throw all the turbo stuff on and go get it tuned.

I figure there is NO WAY it won't be ready for tuning by the end of June latest.

Just ordered some odds and ends that turned up missing. Long starter bolt, one of the engine stiffeners a new fuel filter couple other little bits.

Still have to order oil feed lines for the turbo and oil pressure gauge. And do something better with the hotside piping. It's pretty ghetto the way I had mocked it up...

Pretty sure I have enough bits to make it work better, but I might just mock something up with some cut bits and have a buddy weld it up.... Also KIND of thinking about using the 944 intercooler I have... it's a dual back door intercooler, and at this point I've deleted AC anyway so I could center that more and use the dual back door for shorter pipes... I can't imagine it's any less efficient than the no name one I have above...

Thoughts?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm not sure if it was mentioned on here yet. I didn't want to read everything. We have great success with the bisi 3.6 cam in our SOHC. If you have the extra money sale the Zex/Comp cam and go for the 3.6
Old 06-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Meh, I like Bisi as a person and appreciatte his contributions to the community, but have no intention of every buying one of his products.

Comp Cam has been in there for over 20k and it's a great cam, no odd wear or anything. Frankly stock cam prob. would be fine for my goals for the car.

If I were to change cams I'd likely go with a Delta... unless I was given different cams to test/compare I wouldn't bother changing it.

I'd really like to hear some peoples input on the IC...
Old 03-20-2019, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Back from the dead?

The car has sat in my brother's driveway for 7 years...

Went up there today and just quickly went through what is needed to get it running. I have pretty much everything now. Siphoned out the as much of the bad gas as I could, the Fuel pump filter was torn, so I had to grab a new one, got a battery, some oil, and a gas can.

I have to:

- connect a few vacuum lines
- put the new fuel pump filter on
- Reinstall Fuel Pump
- put 5 gallons of fresh gas in it
- hook up the battery
- Hook up the Fuel Filter/Fuel line to the Fuel Rail
- Put oil in the engine/trans

I'm going to prime the fuel system a few times, then pull the fuse for the fuel pump, crank the engine a few times to get the oil pressure up, re install the fuel pump fuse... and give it a go.

I can't imagine it won't start? But who knows. It's still way off road worthy. At the very least it needs 4 new tires and to hook up the old exhaust.

It's still assembled for NA, I need to get the charge piping done to install the turbo setup. I think I still need to figure out the oil drain for the turbo too? I can't remember.

Didn't take any pics, but it's pretty bad at this point. Driver's side door handle just came off when I tried to open it... brakes look horrific but that might not be as bad as it looks? sometimes the surface rust just gets scraped off, but these disks might be passed it.. hopefully the pads are fine (hawk).
Old 03-21-2019, 02:35 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Default Re: NonovUrbizniz's D16Z6 Turbo Build - like the Energizer Bunny, It keeps on going

What big plans do you have for the setup/car? Sitting parked in a driveway for that long can take a toll on the car.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NonovUrbizniz's D16Z6 Turbo Build - like the Energizer Bunny, It keeps on going

Right now I have no plans. I don't have any budget, time, or place to conveniently work on it.

There's no rubber left in the cars suspension, so I'm not to worried about any of that. I scoped the cylinder bores a year or two ago and they looked fine, and I WD 40'd them before I put the plugs back in.

Only things that might be shot from sitting are the brakes and tires.. and door handle obviously lol. Gas tank/pump did not look great, but I'm sure they'll work. Car never had much if any rust, Rear shocks might be shot, but fronts I repainted before it sat, so those should be fine. All the brake lines were brand new, Master was recentish with fresh fluid, power steering rack might be jabroni'd I think I left that all disconnected.

One of the thoughts since I first started building the engine was that I might just buy a chassis that has some work into it and swap everything worth while off mine onto that.

But again, I have like ZERO budget, I just moved into a condo with my kids a year ago. Desperately tried to wait out finding a place where I could work on the car, but just didn't happen in my budget.

One of my biggest regrets with how I did everything was just going over the top and being too meticulous over everything... I should have just slapped it together and gotten it back up and running but at the time I had a fair amount of disposable income and wanted to build it all nice.

Since none of the turbo stuff is on there right now, I'm just going to get it running, see if I can get the wheels to turn under it's own power, then decide whether I'm going to actually finish the build, or just start selling off all the parts/car... I really don't want to do that especially after sitting on the thing for 7 years refusing to entertain that idea.

I'm going to try to get it running today or tomorrow and then see how bad everything is. I should have a better idea of how shot or not it is after it's running and moving a bit.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:24 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Finish the build!

Look like lots already invested.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Injector Orings... that appears to be the rubber bits I didn't take into account lol.

Got everything buttoned up... It was the weirdest combination of second nature and total confusion...

Got the Fuel Pump Strainer installed super quick, filled the tank with 4.5 gallons of fresh gas, put the fuel pump back in, hooked it all back up. Got hung up on the fuel filter to fuel rail line when I couldn't find the surge dampener end cap for the fuel rail, luckily had another fuel rail, but didn't have a 21mm. Ran off to Auto Zone and got that all hooked up.

Battery tray had just been sand blasted and painted but just sat in there, so I cleaned that off and the area it mounted to. Stumbled across brand new in bag bolts for it lol... literally decided to go through a drain bucket that was full of leaves and trash in my brother's garage and found them. The battery tie down and bolts/nuts were rusted to hell, I never sandblasted or painted those and they sat in the trunk where some water got in... they worked, but they are pretty trash looking. Got the battery installed, put some oil in it, topped off the brake fluid... Hooked up the external coil and plug.

Powered it on for the first time in 7 years... didn't hear the fuel pump prime, not all the dash lights came on, didn't crank... ruh roh.... Totally spaced I had a pinpad ignition kill, but that wouldn't have stopped the fuel pump. Put in the code, still no crank, no pump, not all the lights... kind of died inside a bit, but sucked it up and looked back under the hood...

Didn't hook up any of the engine grounds... whoops.

Turn key.... PUMP PRIMES!!! Do it a few times to get fuel going through the system... 3rd prime I hear it spraying under the hood... Took the fuel rail off and tried to re-seat it since none of the orings looked torn or pinched. It held much better but still dripped... called it a day. Going to poke around now looking for the o-rings and maybe some new filters.

I have new ones on the Precision Injectors, I could even just swap over that whole rail/injector/FPR setup I suppose but I think I might have gotten a y8 rail since that was the intake I'm going to use with the turbo... I'll poke around my garage a bit too.

I didn't take any pictures, I've been doing videos but then not editing or uploading them... I might try to get on that.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Held off on posting hoping to get a video edited together.. but didn't manage to get it done... the car however... I did manage to get finished up and running.

I know I've always said "it should start right up" but even I had my doubts...

Whelp... when I say it roared to life... it ROARED to life... I barely blipped the starter and it started right up, high idled at like 3k for a bit, then searched for idle for 2-3 min then settled in nicely and idled fine.

I let the thermostat open, and realized I didn't have any more coolant on hand... so shut it down checked for any leaks or drips, checked the oil level, topped it back up (filter was empty). Ran off to Auto Zone got some coolant and bled the system. Checked Reverse and 1st, rolled back and forth fine.

Still have some minor stuff to do to button it up for the road, but have to get the wheels off and get tires first, so going to try to get that done either Monday or next weekend. Then I guess get temp registration, road test it a bit make sure the brakes are going to machine themselves back to life.

If the brakes come back to life fine (they should be fine), I think I'll make the decision to finish the project... if they need more than a 100 bucks worth of work I just can't keep dumping money in...

Quick list of to do's before can drive:

- Tires
- Nut/Bolt Suspension
- Install Transmission Torque Mount
- Mount Ignition Coil
- Install Intake
- Install Cat + Exhaust
- Fix IACV issue
- Misc Vacuum Lines

Working on the car; even taking my time and trying to take it easy has been really rough on my back, so I'm not sure I can commit to finishing the project.. it will be awesome just to drive the car though... I've really missed it and it will certainly make me feel a ton better to have it done/running/driving even "stock".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NonovUrbizniz's D16Z6 Turbo Build - like the Energizer Bunny, It keeps on going

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: