Notices

Non vtec turbo buildup advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non vtec turbo buildup advice

I currently have an integra ls running 8 lbs of boost and have made the decision i want more outta my motor so I want to begin building the motor slowly as I want to stay non-vtec. I dont know a lot about engine building but I am looking to do a build up myself as I dont have nearly enough money to outsource a build to a shop. This winter I am taking up the project of building a b18b head I bought and hope to swap the built head with the stock one in the spring. I am looking for advice on parts that I should be sure to include in this build of the head. if you let me know what is and what isnt necessary to replace in the head that would help a lot thanx. (I know that this is putting a lot on my bottom end and I would like to add a b20 bottom end to the mix in the future and either raise boost or build the bottom end to handle more boost but I dont have a large amount of money to spend right now)
Old 11-10-2006, 03:57 AM

its probably a good move to learn on a b18b/b20. relatively simple and inexpensive. if you eff up it shouldnt be the end of the world.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:36 AM

Default Re: Non vtec turbo buildup advice (kshgl87)

well. building a block be it yourself or shop isnt going to be cheap any way you look at it.

pisons are around 350.00 used
rods are around 400.00 used (for good brand)
bearings 150.00
alot machining around 500.00 (depedning on what needs to be done ie:hone,bore,micropolish,hot tank,ect prices will vary depending on the shops prices

labor will be done by you so thats free

that is a total of 1400.00

as far as the head goes it doesnt NEED to have work done to it to make good power. i would say a nice port and polish on a OEM head and you will be fine, given i dont know what your power goals are.

also gapping rings,mearsuring clearences of rod bearings and main bearings. if you dont know alot about engine building i would stay away from building a engine as you mess up one thing assemble it and run the motor, you spin a rod prepare on doing it over. you can learn but clearences have to be near flawless and correct
Old 11-10-2006, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Non vtec turbo buildup advice (b18sihatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18sihatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well. building a block be it yourself or shop isnt going to be cheap any way you look at it.

pisons are around 350.00 used
rods are around 400.00 used (for good brand)
bearings 150.00
alot machining around 500.00 (depedning on what needs to be done ie:hone,bore,micropolish,hot tank,ect prices will vary depending on the shops prices

labor will be done by you so thats free

that is a total of 1400.00

</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats a load of crap!

$400 NEW Wiseco Pistons - Summit Racing
$300 NEW Eagle H-Beam rods - Many online dealsers
Under 100 bux for complete set of bottom end bearings & thrust washers.

800 in parts

Machine shop
$100 Bore & Hone
+40 if the deck needs resurfaced

Total is Just under 1k for a forged block with stock sleeves!
Old 11-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Non vtec turbo buildup advice (kshgl87)

my advice is to read up ALOT. You'll read and hear of different ideas and opinions. Research those opinions. Look at positives and the negatives. Don't assume that just because someone says something is the right way, it is the correct way to do it. Find out why and why others do it a different way.

we do alot of non-vtec engine builds and its pretty much the same as with VTEC setups. I'd at least do the pistons, rods, new bearings, new oil pump, micropolish crank, fresh bore, hone, hot tank and deck. dont do any less than that.

As far as the cyl head, port and polish is not necessary, I think its more of a bonus than a necessity. The least I'd do is a good valve job and resurface to make sure everything is sealing properly on the valves and flat surface on the head. Also, if budget permits, upgrade the valvesprings and retainers to help strengten the head. You dont want valve float with those old springs.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Non vtec turbo buildup advice (Running925)

well i said a good set of rods. i didnt say anything about eagle.

i also said that it depends on what shop you go to as far as prices.

machining is up to you, you can go all out or only do little as you feel is needed

also given the fact that you dont know anything about engine building save your money and have a shop build it/blue print it, it would be aorund 750-800 to have a shop build it

Old 11-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanx for input-well i have been talking to some older guys around me with civics and whatnot who have building experience and they are more than willing to help me with building for next to nothing so that will help me a lot...now as far as the head goes no-one said anything about cams, in your opinion is that just not needed then or what i havnt been able to find much info on turbo specific cams as far as benifits/downsides so im not sure whether its neccesary or even worth it to drop 350+ on cams
Old 11-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (kshgl87)

cams will make a difference in a turbo setup, especially a non-vtec setup.
BUT, in your case, dont complicate things and just focus on the basic things that are needed. Once you start using different spec cams, you need to do more cam adjustments, fine tuning to make it work right.