Notices

Noise coming from underneath valve cover.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise coming from underneath valve cover.....

Hey guys,

As funny as this sounds it actually sounds like there is a set of dice rolling around under my valve cover. My setup is an ls/vtec with b16 head and gs-r cams. At first I thought it might have been something in behind the head. I even tried to see if maybe there was some metal to metal contact under the fuel rail somewhere but nothing that I could see. I find when I move in to listen to it, it seems to come from underneath the valve cover behind it, closer to underneath the fuel rail. Im hopeing someone has had this happen before and can help me out.

Im going nuts, someone help!
Old 03-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noise coming from underneath valve cover..... (GEN2TEG)

Maybe you need a valve adjustment or it could be your injector(s). Check your valve lash first.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noise coming from underneath valve cover..... (tegman2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegman2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe you need a valve adjustment or it could be your injector(s). Check your valve lash first. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Valve adjustment was recently done. My mechanic suggested that it may be the fact that my head sat for a period of time, 2 months, before my motor was rebuilt, and may think that the vtec lobes on the gs-r cams may be sticking? I figured with a bit of driving and breaking in the new setup that it may go away. I've only put 100km on so still some time.

Injectors, interesting cause the niose seems to come from that area. Why would my injectors do that? Is it a normal thing or could something be wrong?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Noise coming from underneath valve cover..... (tegman2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegman2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Check your valve lash first. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-07-2004, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This happened to me when I was dynoing my turboed B20. Sounded the same. Popped the valve cover off, and the nut holding down the "rocker arm" had spun itself completely off and was flying around under the valve cover. The tapping is from the large gap between the arm and the cam. Contact "Hoosier Daddy" on here for pictures of this phenomenon. Do not drive the car with this occuring, at least one of your valves is not opening at all... It takes 3sec to whip off the valve cover... Get back to me or Hoosier for more info.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Noise coming from underneath valve cover..... (JalopySiR)

i have a c1 head and it ratles like that, it always has. ive checked my vlaves and looked for backed of nuts and not found anything. i was told that the valvetrains are just noisy......who knows, as long as it uns good im happy.

Landon
Old 04-07-2004, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Noise coming from underneath valve cover..... (boosted_dc2)

LMA maybe. Does the noise stop when your in vtec?
Old 04-07-2004, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Noise coming from underneath valve cover..... (Bailhatch)

is this noise similar to a sewing machine by any chance? particularly loud between lets say 2,500-4,000 rpm? if so, I have the same noise! I don't know what the deal is but the motor still runs strong, I had the valve cover off when I was getting ready to put the motor in my car and did not see any problems with loose nuts, it had also just recently gotten its 90,000 mile service, I assume that when the timing belt is changed they would also adjust the valve lash? eh, I dunno, but I would like to find out!
Old 04-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noise coming from underneath valve cover..... (isuhonda83)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by isuhonda83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is this noise similar to a sewing machine by any chance? particularly loud between lets say 2,500-4,000 rpm? if so, I have the same noise! </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the exact noise! I found out it's my Lower Motion Assembly's, there are 8 of them in total and are being replaced.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Noise coming from underneath valve cover..... (JalopySiR)

This is definately what's happening. Remove the valve cover and make sure.

Never mind, I read you post.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a similar noice coming from my valve cover. i recently blew a head gasket and had a monir overheating incident. i have been told that it could be:
1) the valves being too loose or tight
2) one of the keepers could be loose or one could be cracked
3) a burnt valve
all i know is that it started making that noice after the water temp guage almost maxxed out. i very carefully adjusted the valves today, but no luck there. i also took a good look at the keepers/springs/retainers, but didn't see anything. it sounds like it's coming from the intake side of the head.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lost motion assembly. If it goes away in vtec that is probably it. Some that I have heard are really loud at idle .
Old 04-07-2004, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Noise coming from underneath valve cover..... (Bailhatch)

I wanted to post this a long time ago but I am still being held back by the 5 posts per 24 hour period thing... Anyways, the lost motion assembly is the little clyinder looking thing right? I did a search to find out what I could about them. I guess they are about 300 (?!) per set for a GSR. First of all, why do they go bad? when they go bad what happens to them? I saw a post about losing a clip or something? How hard is it to change these? Unfortunately when I did my search I only found a few posts.