Notices

No start after OBDI changeover! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start after OBDI changeover! Please help

Car: 99 Si
T3/T4 turbo , DSM 450cc injectors, VAFC hack, B and M FPR, Walbro 255 pump

Ive been running over a year on the VAFC hack on my 99 Si. Has been running rich and whatnot the whole time, but runs smooth.

about a month ago i decide to fix an oil leak on my oil return line. During this process I fixed my downpipe and whatnot.

Well i had an OBDI chipped ECU that my friend did for me. We had a ZIF socket but to get it to fit he had to run a ribbon cable out of the board for it. So we pop that computer in and start it up, it starts up, but stumbling all over and only like a 3k rev limit. The chip was burning hot.....i then realize the chip was in backwards!

So, take out the chip and put it in the correct way, and it just cranked and cranked. Got another ECU from a friend (PO6 converted that was known to be working the weekend before) and for some reason it would only spark cylinder 2 and 3. 1 and 4 got no spark. So, I picked up a fresh P28 and chipped it for uberdata. I feel I did do a good job with the chipping and soldering. I burn a chip that appears to be ok, pop it in, and the car will not start. Just cranks and cranks. I AM getting fuel, and i AM getting spark! Still no start. So i borrow ANOTHER ECU (Po6 converted with a 310map that was working in a car last week), and same thing, NO start, just crank and crank. I have fuel, and spark.

My VAFC is still hooked up, but is initilized to 0 all the way. The only thing i changed was the Cylinder setting to 4.

I am boggled. I dont know what to do, and im supposed to move like next week but i have to get this car running and somewhat tuned (I have a wideband). Spark and fuel and compression, but no start. I checked all fuses they all appear to be ok.

BTW not sure if it makes a difference, but with VAFC hack my timing was retarded a few degrees. When the OBDII ECU was in, i moved the distrbutor back to stock position (i forgot to jumper the connector and the car wasnt started anyway). I dont think this would make a difference since I know have the OBDI ECU in tho?

ANY IDEAS would be appreciated.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No start after OBDI changeover! Please help (Poop111444)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Poop111444 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Car: 99 Si
T3/T4 turbo , DSM 450cc injectors, VAFC hack</TD></TR></TABLE>

oic! fascinating!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Poop111444 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NO start, just crank and crank. I have fuel, and spark.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need fuel, fire, and compression to make an engine run. What are you missing?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Poop111444 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My VAFC is still hooked up, but is initilized to 0 all the way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Spent a bit of time in limp home mode, eh? Operating off of rough and sleazy maps meant for 240cc injectors? Hrm, do you think four metric tons of raw fuel washing the oil off your rings would have an effect on your compression? Nah! That's crazy talk. Almost as wacky as suggesting a tablespoon of oil poured into each cylinder via the spark plug holes would build back that compression.

Also, check to make sure you haven't jumped time, in the case of a backfire.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:36 PM

Default Re: No start after OBDI changeover! Please help (J. Davis)

Yeah, VAFC is at 0, but I have a chipped ECU with a 450cc map!

Also why u gotta be a dick?

I'll do a compression check tommorow when i get my new valve cover. I just dont see how the compression wouldnt be there when i pulled in the car and all the sudden the engine breaks and compression would be gone.

Modified by Poop111444 at 9:51 PM 7/27/2004

Modified by Poop111444 at 9:51 PM 7/27/2004
Old 07-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Poop111444 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, VAFC is at 0, but I have a chipped ECU with a 450cc map!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Limp home mode doesn't pay attention to what injector recurve is on the chip.

Verify my guess with a compression check.

Also, raw fuel kills spark plugs dead. Replace 'em, steel electrode NGKs and nothing else.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Poop111444 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also why u gotta be a dick?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not being a dick! I'm being a smartass, there is a difference!

FYI, I wish more people would sit down and take 15 minutes typing up an informative post like you did when they have a problem. Most don't, expect you to read minds, and those are the ones I'm a dick to I much prefer just being borderline-acceptable-somewhat-loveable-if-you've-been-smoking-crack smartass.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:01 AM

I did a compression check, numbers are strong across the board (180psi)

The only thing left i can think of are my spark plugs. After work today. Im going to try another set (my used ones) BKR7E NGKs.

I used a dremel with a carbon wire brush to clean off the spark plugs before I did the ECU swap..... maybe that messed up the plugs?! THey look ok except for the tip is not like w whiteish or yellowish color like my other used ones, they are gray.

Old 07-28-2004, 09:30 AM

Wire brush damages the plugs, leads to glazing. If they are already ruined - shorted between electrode and along ceramic - it may or may not help them to work in the short term.

Keep at it, you have fuel, fire, compression. It has to be something silly/cheap/labor intensive at this point.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:49 AM

Default Re: No start after OBDI changeover! Please help (mekkis)

I just learned something today.

I never knew if you put the chip the wrong way the car would start.

I would change your plugs and retry.

Old 07-28-2004, 02:25 PM

Default Re: No start after OBDI changeover! Please help (CRX T-Si)

I have 1 new NGK plug and 3 used but good ones. No one stocks these and summitt appears to be on backorder. Will give it a shot keep you guys updated.THanks.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No start after OBDI changeover! Please help (CRX T-Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX T-Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just learned something today.

I never knew if you put the chip the wrong way the car would start.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda ECU is military level redundancy; you can remove the main processor and your car will still run (in limp home mode).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Poop111444 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Will give it a shot keep you guys updated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Let 'er rip.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I much prefer just being borderline-acceptable-somewhat-loveable-if-you've-been-smoking-crack smartass. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ahh, i never grow tired of it... altho i have yet to be on the receiving end of it