Notices

no room for air filter...now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no room for air filter...now what?

i just upgraded my compressor housing before it was a 3in now a 4.5 but i cant fit a 4.5in pipe in my engine bay...nor and air filter right off the turbo...i hear of people using screens and such...but what material and how is it fastened to the turbo tryed searchin didnt come up with much..any info would be great thanks in advance
Old 10-17-2004, 10:33 PM

Default Re: no room for air filter...now what? (B20luda)

For a quick fix, use some mesh screen from Home Depot and a worm or t-bolt clamp to attach the screen to the housing.

Old 10-17-2004, 10:39 PM

Its good to keep rocks and bugs out but definetly not smaller particles..
U could use a metal screen or a screen like on a patio door..
I know some peeps use 2 screens with sometihing in between them (like a sock or some kind of cloth.) to keep small particles out..

Old 10-18-2004, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: no room for air filter...now what? (Mrspeaker)

i heard those screens can get sucked in the turbo
Old 10-18-2004, 05:16 AM

Default Re: no room for air filter...now what? (redturbocivic)

I run 2 screens with a K&N filter cloth sandwiched in between, seems to be working fine
Old 10-18-2004, 07:32 AM

Default Re: no room for air filter...now what? (Boosted2K)

you must be running an ef ?

my friends ef has a b16a with a drag gen kit...
he had to relocate the radaitor a few inches to the headlight
then he took his old intake and cut to fit it in the engine bay
i wish i had pics
Old 10-18-2004, 07:50 AM

i went to wal mart. in there kitchen area they have stainless mesh strainers in a lot of differant sizes. from 2 inch up too like 10 inch. that is what i used. you can even over lay them to get a finer filter out of them. but they are pretty small holes.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: no room for air filter...now what? (b20turbojason)

sweet thanks for the ideas guys...do u think the small particles will hurt the turbo or what...im puttin a fresh turbo on my motor and thats the last thing i want is a damaged turbocharger..thanks again
Old 10-18-2004, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I run 2 screens with a K&N filter cloth sandwiched in between, seems to be working fine </TD></TR></TABLE>

where'd u get the filter cloth? That sounds like a pretty good idea.

I just have two patio door mesh screens (i got way too much for like $1) i got from a local hardware store t-bolted to the turbo. I have yet to find a filter that will fit in the space i need; everyone of them seems to be like 1/2in too big.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:11 AM

Default Re: no room for air filter...now what? (pip9)

just bought a K&N filter at advanced auto parts, some square ****. Then I hacked it up
Old 10-18-2004, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just bought a K&N filter at advanced auto parts, some square ****. Then I hacked it up </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have any pics of this set up? How does it flow?

So you just bought a random K&N filter, cut it up, and stretched it over your compressor intake? Interesting, I might have to try it!
Old 10-18-2004, 09:53 AM

Default Re: no room for air filter...now what? (EJ1 wilcox)

I didn't just streach it over the inlet, gotta sandwich it between 2 screens. It seems to flow just as good as any other setup, plus it's pre-oiled with the K&N stuff.

Inside the compressor stays clean and it seems to be picking up all the dust, so I haven't really done anything about an intake tube and cone filter, been to busy drinking beer and bein' a man *****
Old 10-18-2004, 10:06 AM

Exactly how much room do you have? I didnt have much, so I made a S bend out of 2.5" mandrel bends and put the filter but my head light.

and yes thats a SSAC, and no its not going to crack
Old 10-18-2004, 11:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I run 2 screens with a K&N filter cloth sandwiched in between, seems to be working fine </TD></TR></TABLE>

This might not be such a good idea. I did that in the past and my car would not boost past 4 psi for the longest time. I was pulling my hair out because I never thought this would cause a problem so obviously it was overlooked when troubleshooting. One day I had forgotten to put it back on when I went on a test drive after installing something and my car was magically boosting past 4 psi now.

Just giving you guys a heads-up if anyone else considers doing that.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Slammd Sol)

well the inlet to the turbo is 4.5in so im not going to be puttin a smaller pipe than 4.5in that would be defeating my purpose... i have less room than u...also i have a water to air intercooler under the hood so that takes lots of room also..
Old 10-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Slammd Sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slammd Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Exactly how much room do you have? I didnt have much, so I made a S bend out of 2.5" mandrel bends and put the filter but my head light.

and yes thats a SSAC, and no its not going to crack </TD></TR></TABLE>

where'd u get ur filter at? that one actually might work for my setup
Old 10-18-2004, 04:19 PM

Default Re: (pip9)

I got it @ the local ricer shop, but you can find them cheap on ebay. Works great!

http://search.ebay.com/HKS-fil...earch
Old 10-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That must flow horribly. You should try it w/o your screen to see if it helps, I bet you will feel a big change. There is probably about 15-20X the surface area on a 7" cone filter.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Re: no room for air filter...now what? (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20luda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well the inlet to the turbo is 4.5in so im not going to be puttin a smaller pipe than 4.5in that would be defeating my purpose... i have less room than u...also i have a water to air intercooler under the hood so that takes lots of room also..</TD></TR></TABLE>

what the hell turbo and setup do you have that anything smaller then 4.5" inlet is gonna be a problem

anyways you best bet is to take a couple pics and post them to give a better idea of your situation
Old 10-18-2004, 05:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20luda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do u think the small particles will hurt the turbo or what...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh yeah - big time. The clearance between the turbine blades and housing is super tight to make it as air tight as possible. When particles get inside, the blades mash them against the housing walls which creates gouges that will ruin the turbo efficiency.

The metal mesh by itelf is . Use something that will filter small particles.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: no room for air filter...now what? (JRciv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The metal mesh by itelf is . Use something that will filter small particles.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I 2nd that.. drive around w/ a screen for a few days/weeks and then look at the inlet of ur turbo and inside ur charge piping.. you MAY find a fine layer of silt/dirt lining the inner walls.. Just imagine the silt and fine particles that got past the walls and got injected into the motor.. Not good in my opinion.. I"ve personally ran my setup like this for a short period of time and seen how dirty the interal walls got, and will never go back to doing it, especially on a daily driver.. NOw if the car is a weekend drag car, i'm sure it would be okay..

I understand in some cases, its virtually imposible to get an air filter on there, but where there's a will, there's a way.. I managed to route my air filter outside of the engine bay using my AEM intake piping, and its working great for me.. i'll try to get pics of it for ya to see..
Old 10-18-2004, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try to squeeze something in there for daily driving.. k&n makes a variety of different size filters... but for track/racing purposes I would run it open or w/ 1 layer of screen for optimal horsepower.

and does anyone know where to get those hks stlye filters w/ 4" inlet... ebay only has 3"