Notices

No Oil pressure after turbo install help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No Oil pressure after turbo install help!!

The engine is a D16y7
intake (y8)
New Ebaby turbo kit
So during this year long build the engine was removed in perfect running condition minus some smoke during really long sittings (3+days or longer ish). 114k. I replaced all of the maintaince items for 100k (t-belt, wp, ewtc) also did the oil pump. Saw a video about porting out passages for that few bumps of psi for the turbo install. That went fine put everything together per the manual i have from AdvanceAuto and During the first start up it took a while to get it started but eventually the car breathed for the first time in months. Ran smooth minus some idle issues which were fixed.

So now the problem: Full of oil and oil treatment (additive i always use in my oil changes) my digital gauge reads 0 and my oil light flickerd a bit and then stayed on. Was never on before. I do have a sandwhich plate on and the gauge sensor connected to it. The stock sensor is still in the block.
Im scared to run it with no oil pressure even though its oil in the engine. I found some similar stories on here about the pick up tube being clogged so i took the pan off and checked. Nothing floating or on the bottom of the pan, and the tube wasnt clogged. I thought the gasket looked a little weird so I replaced it. Light still on and still 0 pressure.Though it looked like during cranking (with a plug wire removed to prevent starting) i was getting numbers on the gauge during this. But still 0 when i let it run.

Anything I should check or what? I feel like I may just have bought a sh*t oil pump. But my luck cant be that bad. the wire wasnt molest either so I cant be the wire being faulty I guess. Im really lost because the oil light is a simple circuit and I had no problems before the turbo. Also didnt get any oil out of my feed line, I had it off during cranking, didnt get a drop of oil anywhere. Wasnt really any smoke during the runs either.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Re: No Oil pressure after turbo install help!!

So wait, did you have the car running at any point with the feed line for the turbo disconnected? Or were you just cold cranking it?

Did the new pump produce pressure before the kit install?

You may want to do a compression/leakdown test to check if you've already damaged your pistons/cylinder walls...