Notices

No need for Fuel management on stock D motor if under 8 pSI boost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No need for Fuel management on stock D motor if under 8 pSI boost?

i saw some older post about some that boosted without intercooler and FM and did fine at 7-8 PSI. is that ok for me to do on my D1.6? i'm not doing it for racing ed and boosting every 5 minutes. more for when i need power to move just to get out quick etc..
Old 04-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No need for Fuel management on stock D motor if under 8 pSI boost? (ajusaf)

Nope. Not okay. Don't do it.

If you search around a bit you will see why...
Old 04-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: No need for Fuel management on stock D motor if under 8 pSI boost? (ajusaf)

100% not ok.

the motor will not know how to handle the extra air pressure and that's when bad things happen.

at a very minimum run a FMU, and that is not recommended.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: No need for Fuel management on stock D motor if under 8 pSI boost? (platinum00)

well my main thing is that i heard FMU tends to eat gas even if your not boosting, is this a true statement? I guess I might have to go this route and get a FMU. remember I will not be boosting like most iof you guys that boost all the time. thast why i'm not thinking about a intercooler. were a good place to get a manifold and DP combo at a cheap price?
Old 04-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ajusaf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well my main thing is that i heard FMU tends to eat gas even if your not boosting, is this a true statement? </TD></TR></TABLE>

false statement.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

uberdata for you....

And some injectors.. 450 or so.

Cause the way it sounds hondata is out of the picture
Honda-Tech Member

Your ecu can't see boost, if the map sensor sees positive pressure in the IM, the ecu goes into limp mode...

No matter how little you are going to boost, you need to have good fuel management.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sure running no managment can be pulled off but for how long? a day, month or even one run on boost could have you with no motor.

if at the least fork over the money for a base tuned uberdata equiped ecu

best saying ever CHEAP - FAST - RELIABLE

PICK TWO
Old 04-26-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: No need for Fuel management on stock D motor if under 8 pSI boost? (jdmchop)

uberdata equiped ecu cheapest place to buy this?
Old 04-26-2005, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What year is your car? If it is OBD1, you can be running uberdata for the cost of:

http://www.moates.net/product_...id=42

and

http://www.moates.net/product_...id=48
Old 04-26-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: No need for Fuel management on stock D motor if under 8 pSI boost? (dustin)

have a 96 hatchback cx model. now another issue for me is were is a good cheap place to get a downpipe without having to modify it and fit as bolt on to my exhaust? i'll have to get a plate for my manifold and i want to keep my a/c thats why using my stock manifold
Old 04-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm that's OBD2. You'd need a conversion harness + new ecu to use uberdata.

If you just want to run 8psi, get a high pressure inline fuel pump and a 12:1 FMU. Retard your ignition timing 3 or 4 degrees at the distributor.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: No need for Fuel management on stock D motor if under 8 pSI boost? (dustin)

dman maybe i need to use another brand like hondata. how come the homemade turbo doesn't say anything about htis just except FMU not ECU stuff
Old 04-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

uberdata is free. hondata is $$.

both of them require a new ECU + conversion harness, larger injectors, and a *recommended* walbro fuel pump.

FMU requires: FMU + missing link/check valves.

You sound like you want to cheap out on stuff (hence your thread title) so I recommend you just use the FMU and check valves.

Even if you run 20psi on the FMU, there is little chance that this will blow my motor
Old 04-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im going to give you this realy good piece of advice, do it right from the start!

if you want to keep a/c and what not go out and buy a a/c compliant turbo kit

if you want to boost for cheap goto homemadeturbo .com

most the time if you want to be cheap about things they arent gonna last long or work all that great

if you have no fabrication skill then you are gonna need to spend money

but to answer your question go to local muffler shop and have then make you a downpipe, they can chop off your oem piping and weld the down pipe to it

i know you probly just want to boost just to boost and not make a carrer out of it, and want to spend the least amount of money on the setup but boost does cost money if you cant do it yourself

im on the low funds situation right now so im using a oem manifold modified to run my T61 and external gate lol but thats for now till i can fab my own mani
Old 04-26-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: No need for Fuel management on stock D motor if under 8 pSI boost? (jdmchop)

The moral of every story:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmchop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you have no fabrication skill then you are gonna need to spend money
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was a good one.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:54 PM

uberdata is free. how is it free? for this i would need harness? liek vtec harness?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:52 PM

search it man...go to the uberdata forums here and read

knowledge is power (and it saves money)

the more you truley know about boosting hondas the cheaper and more reliable you can do it!

No go [pats on the butt] and read...go....go
Old 04-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ajusaf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uberdata is free. how is it free? for this i would need harness? liek vtec harness? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Uberdata is a program you use to customize your Honda ECU's fuel and timing maps as well as a few other things. Uberdata the program is free but of course the equipment to run it is not. but even then you still pay a lot less for an Uberdata setup then you would a Hondata setup. With the Hondata you pay for the program, and you'll probably also end up paying for a dealer/tuner to tune your car for you. Uberdata is for the DIY guys out there.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ajusaf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have a 96 hatchback cx model. now another issue for me is were is a good cheap place to get a downpipe without having to modify it and fit as bolt on to my exhaust? i'll have to get a plate for my manifold and i want to keep my a/c thats why using my stock manifold</TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you mean use your stock manifold? The CX manifold? Is that even possible?? Just curious....never heard of it
Old 04-28-2005, 08:42 AM

Default Re: No need for Fuel management on stock D motor if under 8 pSI boost? (b16adx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dustin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uberdata is free. hondata is $$.
both of them require a new ECU + conversion harness, larger injectors, and a *recommended* walbro fuel pump.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

With 8lbs of boost a stock fuel pump will be just fine. I'm running one with 440cc injectors and it works like a charm.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16adx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What do you mean use your stock manifold? The CX manifold? Is that even possible?? Just curious....never heard of it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock manifold??? Also want to know if it's possible....lol.