Notices

nitrous woes: loss of power, need help diagnosing.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous woes: loss of power, need help diagnosing.

here's the setup:

97 gsr
75 shot NOS, wet kit, (.041 nitrous, .026 fuel) with bottle warmer
nozzle is positioned ~5 inches from the throttle body (to go further i would need longer nitrous/fuel lines)
bottle reaches proper pressure/temperature, and bottle angle is correct
factory fuel pump/injectors
timing retarded 3 degrees
two steps colder NGK plugs, ignition is all factory

i seem to be experiencing a loss of power near redline in third and fourth gear. it is much more apparent in fourth gear than third. my air fuel gauge reads rich all the way to redline. i've made sure both jets and the nozzle are free of debris. everything else seems to be fine, it makes power from 3500 up. the loss of power doesn't seem to occur in second gear, and i haven't tried fifth (simply too fast). i hear absolutely no detonation.

i previously ran a 50 shot dry NOS kit with absolutely no problems. at this point i'm thinking it may be running too rich near redline. i am considering reducing the fuel jet size.

let me know what you guys think, any help or advice at all is appreciated.

Old 11-01-2003, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: nitrous woes: loss of power, need help diagnosing. (Wide Open Throttle)

^
Old 11-01-2003, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: nitrous woes: loss of power, need help diagnosing. (Wide Open Throttle)

I'd try leaning it out a tad bit, otherwise advance the timing back to 2degrees.

Top end power loss is almost always felt when there isn't enough timing, and too rich could definately cause it. Don't do both, though.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:44 PM

Default Re: nitrous woes: loss of power, need help diagnosing. (Johnyquest)

try checking your plugs
Old 11-01-2003, 07:20 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if your plugs are ok, aka light tan, meaning plenty of fuel..................

Also, NOS single fogger wet kits for Honda's, you never change the fuel jets unlike ZEX? WTF????
Single fogger wet systems have fuel distribution issues above 60 shot. Check EACH plug cafefully. You should move the nozzle upstream atleast 6-7" to improve distribution.

Then you are feeling the downside to juice.........

You get a nice big kick in the pants at 4000 rpm, but by 8000 rpm there is little left as engine is ingesting alot more air.

You have to figure the air to nitrous ratio.

Some have tried using a 2-3 stage setup. You had better know WTF your are doing before trying this!!!!!!!!!

Stage 1 = 60 shot
Stage 2 = 100 shot
Stage 3 = stage 1 and 2 together for 160 shot. Usually only need for that last little umph in bracket racing......

I've had the chance to talk with Gary Rowe and BES crew, learned ALOT about nitrous useage.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a similar problem with my setup. Bone, you check out the picture of my line on the thread yet? https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=3
Old 11-02-2003, 05:07 PM

Default Re: nitrous woes: loss of power, need help diagnosing. (RyanCivic2000)

when was the last time you rebuilt your selonoids??? they go bad from time to time... you may need a rebuild kit, the plunger sometimes gets an impression imbedded in it from the pressure of the nitrous while not in use. The rebuild kits are around 30 bucks and may save you some head ache? just use a 11/16 wrench and take off the body of the selonoid and then remove the plunger and look to see if the rubber diaphram is mushroomed at all?? if so then that is most likely your problem Oh yea, you have to be sanitart about this procedure because if any particle of dirt gets imbedded in the plunger diaphram it will not seal and let nitrous slowly into your engine and may cause some problems... just my .02