Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Nitrous questions.. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/nitrous-questions-73402/)

NewbieGuy 09-30-2001 03:54 AM

Nitrous questions..

I have been reading a little bit on N20 and am thinking of going that route for a little more power, but first I need to research some more.

What is the difference between wet and dry kits?

How much can I use safely on my stock engine?

How long does it last?

92CivicSiR 09-30-2001 05:08 AM

Re: Nitrous questions.. (NewbieGuy)

1. When the nitrous is triggered, a dry shot injects nitrous only, a wet shot injects nitrous and fuel(much safer IMO).

2. If you motor is bons stock, then there are other factors like how many miles, have you beat on it, general stuff like that. I would not run more than like 50-65 shot through that engine.

3. I an running an 85 shot direct-port wet system in my LS/VTEC track car and a 10lb. bottle should last something like 10-15 runs I'm guessing. I'm not sure though because I have not emptied the bottles yet.

I hope this helps you in your quest for knowledge. I think that using nitrous is a whole lot of fun, just be careful, you don't need it on the street, and make sure to retard your timing, and dyno tune your motor while shooting to ensure you won't burn anything up while running that bottle on.

NewbieGuy 09-30-2001 01:14 PM

Re: Nitrous questions.. (92CivicSiR)

Thanks for your help 92CivicSiR.

BTW what does direct port mean? How much does a 10lb bottle cost? Is it legal to have it in your car but not use it? I heard that if you unhook it, it is legal, but how will the cop know?

NOSed_b18b 09-30-2001 06:19 PM

direct port is a different type of kit, different from just a single fogger kit. Direct port shoots equal amounts of nitrous into each cylinder.

A 10lb. bottle costs a little less than 200.00.

Not too sure about the laws regarding your area. I know that here in GA that you can have it in your car and hooked up, but you can't have it armed and have the bottle in arm's reach.

NewbieGuy 09-30-2001 06:58 PM

Re: Nitrous questions.. (NOSed_b18b)

Ahh...then what's a single fogger kit?

NewbieGuy 09-30-2001 07:00 PM

Also, will my stock clutch be able to handle the power of a 50 shot? BTW 50 shot = 50 hp correct? Is this whp?

PM-Performance 10-01-2001 06:52 AM

your stock clutch wont handle it very long if your relly putting power to the ground, mine gave up with just a few bolt ons. the nos just totally killed it and i only hit it about 3 times and it never even worked right until now. i would replace it if you got the money. but not needed right away.

92CivicSiR 10-01-2001 07:58 AM

Re: Nitrous questions.. (itr206)

Yes a 50 shot - 50Hp. I'm not sure if it is WHP or CHP. I think they rate it as CHP. A single fogger kit is one nozzle that you plumb into your intake pipe. These can be used for either wet or dry shot. A direct-port is a setup where there is a nozzle plumbed into each intake track on the intake manifold. This kit is a bit more complicated to install due to the fact that you have to take the manifold off to do it. This system is superior due to the fact that there is equal nitrous/fuel distribution to each cylinder.

riot 10-01-2001 11:19 AM

Re: Nitrous questions..

Just to let you know, I recently installed a 50 shot dry NOS kit(5122). So far the stock clutch (honestly) seems to be holding fine, although I don't expect it to hold out after another bottle or two...we'll see.

Here is the low down, there are several kits you can choose from.

1. Single Fogger Dry kit
Nitrous is injected into the intake and the fuel pressure is risen to make the injectors inject more fuel to compensate for the nitrous.

2. Single Fogger Wet kit
Both fuel and nitrous are injected into the intake.

3. Direct Port Wet kit
Both fuel and nitrous are injected into the intake manifold.

4. Plate Wet kit
Both fuel and nitrous are injected via a plate between the head and the intake manifold.

Feel free to email or im me if you have any questions.

-ryan

TurboInteg95 10-01-2001 11:41 AM

Re: Nitrous questions.. (riot)

IMO, its all about either a direct port kit or dry shot. single fogger wet kits are just plain ass, the intake manifold puddles up with fuel and floods the engine after every run, and you have to rev it out a few times. I'd rather have a dry shot then a single wet shot. Direct port is the best though, you get the most even distribution

2latev8 10-01-2001 04:28 PM

for someone new to this i would go with the ZEX kit cause it's a dry manifold system basicly plug and play, about the clutch it might need replacing in after you fill the bottle a couple times http://images.zeroforum.com/smile/emwink.gif

EVOCELICA 10-11-2001 08:24 AM

Re: Nitrous questions.. (TurboInteg95)

TurboInteg95 is right on the money. A single fogger wet kit should only be used if you have a turbo or a supercharger. If you have a stock motor the safest kit to use is a dry manifold kit. Alot of these people that say a single fogger wet kit is the safest kit don't have the money to do the kit propperly so the low ball it by buying a single fogger wet kit which is really bad for a stock motor. I have seen engine bays and motors catch on fire from the use of single fogger wet kits. Call NOS if you think I am full of shit they will tell you what you should be using.