Notices

Nitrous 6th gen accord and California Questions?

Old 02-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous 6th gen accord and California Questions?

First off let me apologize if this is in the wrong forum i know nitrous isnt technically forced induction but i really didnt know where to put this since its not all motor either and i figured id get more replies here than the accord forum.

I own a 2001 accord coupe with an i4 f23a4 with i/h/e (its the CA model motor with lower emissions). I bought this as a used car a few years because i needed a car quick my jeep broke down and i needed better gas mileage due to high prices at the time. Honestly when i got the thing i didn't know any thing about hondas, I just knew the car was spacious enough for my 6'6' tall body and it had vtec, i figured i could tune it up too and it would be a fun project. Well since i owned mostly older American cars i didnt know what i was getting myself into and all the laws in California and all this C.A.R.B crap. I really wanted a turbo but just threw that dream out the window it seems expensive to keep having the car retuned before and after every smog and a pita to to take the turbo out and put it back in.

Im not trying to build a 10 second car or anything like that, i just love the feeling of boost and i cant have it in this state. I also deliver pizzas on a marine base where there is a long empty stretch of copless desert out the gate, and all the idiots are always like lets try and race the pizza guy with my pos grand am.

So anyways with all of that being said what is the deal with nitrous? Seems pretty easy to remove right before a smog inspection, so it wont be seen in the visual. Runs fine with stock ecu and emissions controls right? So im thinking this is my best bet to feel a little boost in my underpowered family coupe .

Im really leaning twords the zex 55hp wet shot universal kit based on the information i have been able to dig up this seems like reasonably safe kit when installed properly? Does anyone know if a stock f23 can handle a 75 hp shot (unfortunately all motor mods are out since my car wont pass smog, so stock internals only) cant find to many people out there spraying there f23's? Also besides the basic kit it there really a need to buy the bottle warmer and a remote valve opener or are these products just out there to take your money? How about a higher flow fuel pump is this necessary will it mess with emissions testing and will the stock ngk plugs be fine? Ive read something that recommended using colder plugs with a smaller gap. Finally where do you buy the nitrous??? Ive been looking at zex and venom it seems like they only sell empty bottles so im not even sure how much the nitrous actually costs.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nitrous 6th gen accord and California Questions?

yes zex is a good kit, yes you can handle a 75 shot but i would at least get the fuel pump and a new filter just to be safe first. forged internal wont affect your emitions if your not changing compression. bottle warmer is not necessary but helps with consistency, remote valve will let you drive around without pressure in the lines and potentially leaking and once you get to the base you can just flip a switch and be ready for all those grand am's. and i dont know how much inspection of your car they do but if your clever enough you could install it so its not seen and just leave it in for smog testing, just bump your timing back to normal and your golden.

oh and last time i filled up n2o was at $4 per lb. and you should be able to get it fill at most performance shops and dyno tuners
Old 02-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nitrous 6th gen accord and California Questions?

So then i you must retard the timings with a zex kit? Is this bad for the engine when the nitrous isnt spraying?