Notices

Nippon racing vitara vs YCP vitara

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nippon racing vitara vs YCP vitara

I'm planning on turbo charging my d16z6. I've done a lot of research on different components trying to find my best options. I decided that I am going to use vitara pistons, tuner toys h beam rods, acl or king bearings, and hastings rings.

looking at different ebay options I see two different types of aftermarket suzuki vitara pistons for sale. One is YCP and the other is Nippon racing. I hear that Nippon pistons are made in japan while YCP is made in Taiwan or Korea or somewhere like that.

The pistons are around the same price, 125-135 for pistons, rings, clips, and wrist pins. Searching for YCP vitara's turned up no results, so I'm looking for input on anyones experience with YCP pistons and how they compare in quality to Nippon racing.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Nippon racing vitara vs YCP vitara (92ehatch)

everything everyone has said is buy them from FJT; best price; unsurpassed quality.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nippon racing vitara vs YCP vitara (JaredKaragen)

We prefer the YCP pistons. We've built 8 YCP- pistoned Z6/Y8s engines and 2 with Nippons.... including our 10 second Vitara-powered Y8 race car (YCP). YCP is what we recommend, based on not only reputation and proven performance from us and many others, but overall quality also. We've used the 75mm, 75.5mm, and 76mm YCPS and had no trouble with them, and we've even run them with ridiculously excessive piston to wall clearance and still had no problems. We had one problem recently with the Nippons in a Y8, but there are a few other factors that make us unable to pinpoint the pistons as the reason for the failure.The YCPS for sure take a HELL of a beating and keep on pumpin..Id say YCP!

Modified by SpeedFactoryFab at 7:49 PM 11/15/2007
Old 11-16-2007, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nippon racing vitara vs YCP vitara (SpeedFactoryFab)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpeedFactoryFab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We prefer the YCP pistons. We've built 8 YCP- pistoned Z6/Y8s engines and 2 with Nippons.... including our 10 second Vitara-powered Y8 race car (YCP). YCP is what we recommend, based on not only reputation and proven performance from us and many others, but overall quality also. We've used the 75mm, 75.5mm, and 76mm YCPS and had no trouble with them, and we've even run them with ridiculously excessive piston to wall clearance and still had no problems. We had one problem recently with the Nippons in a Y8, but there are a few other factors that make us unable to pinpoint the pistons as the reason for the failure.The YCPS for sure take a HELL of a beating and keep on pumpin..Id say YCP!

Modified by SpeedFactoryFab at 7:49 PM 11/15/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

good to know. thats the first ycp review ive seen. all i found on HT is nippon

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JaredKaragen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">everything everyone has said is buy them from FJT; best price; unsurpassed quality.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was going to buy mine off him on ebay, or here. i couldnt remember which brand he used. i think he uses ycp but not sure.

if anyone else has some experience with them please post up.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had used the ycp also in my z6 build on 14 psi with the hasting rings. Besides the my car sounding like a diesel, you will love them. 283 to the wheels is what i was making. Sleeper. Especially when people think there is something wrong with your motor. But low price, good product.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nippon racing vitara vs YCP vitara (gettin it)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gettin it &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had used the ycp also in my z6 build on 14 psi with the hasting rings. Besides the my car sounding like a diesel, you will love them. 283 to the wheels is what i was making. Sleeper. Especially when people think there is something wrong with your motor. But low price, good product.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im gonna try and build mine so it doesnt have all that piston slap everyone gets. but good to know you made 283, i plan on running 12 lbs or so
Old 11-16-2007, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You will still get it man. Unless you run a thicker oil. Not saying do that.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nippon racing vitara vs YCP vitara (gettin it)

ive read things on the nippon and not much on the YCP this thread is also useful in info because i also and thinkin of running a d16 boost project. Keep the info coming. 92ehatch why are you running the tuner toy rods instead of eagle's? Just curious
Old 11-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nippon racing vitara vs YCP vitara (PiMpIn)

Yes, for sure the YCPS are noisy... they give your civic that "diesel" sound.. haha. Once the engine warms up to operating temperature, they get a LITTLE quieter but not too much. It all depends on how your engine is clearanced (piston-to-wall) and what boost level you plan on running. Both pistons (YCP and Nippon) I am sure would be equally loud with identical clearances. Just make sure you don't go too tight on the clearances... I have seen a motor run fine for 1000+ miles for break-in, but under low boost the pistons began to scuff and from there it was back to the drawing board.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nippon racing vitara vs YCP vitara (SpeedFactoryFab)

most vitara folks buy their stuff from honda tech member fjt, i think he sells them...
Old 11-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Nippon racing vitara vs YCP vitara (MeanGreenMachine)

ive got the YCP's. the colder they are the louder. onces the car is warm it doesnt deisel audibly and i had a really sloppy P/W. i cant believe how much a of a beating these take.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:46 PM

YCP if you don't mind the "diesel" sound. an acquintance of mine had one. other than that you're good.

off topic but yeah: buy my 1g-gte pistons. it's forged . throw me an offer. it sits collecting dust in it's present condition. dang....I need money...
Old 11-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blitz23)

why the tuner toy rods over eagle?
Old 11-16-2007, 09:51 PM
i ♥ snails

just get 75.5mm vitaras and pick your piston/wall clearance. .0035 looks optimal. some guys have ran .0070+ and had no problems other than slap.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92ehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

im gonna try and build mine so it doesnt have all that piston slap everyone gets. but good to know you made 283, i plan on running 12 lbs or so </TD></TR></TABLE>

That better be a big *** turbo if you're only doing 12psi on vitaras.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PiMpIn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PiMpIn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why the tuner toy rods over eagle?</TD></TR></TABLE>

money, ive heard good things about tuner toys rods. unless you guys have some bad info on them.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That better be a big *** turbo if you're only doing 12psi on vitaras. </TD></TR></TABLE>

why is that, its actually a really really small t3 off a mercedes 300td
Old 11-17-2007, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quicksilver1689 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just get 75.5mm vitaras and pick your piston/wall clearance. .0035 looks optimal. some guys have ran .0070+ and had no problems other than slap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

arent those clearances kinda large?

the helms manual says for piston to block clearance limit is .0004 to .0016

service limit being .002

why run the vitaras at .0035 or greater?

Old 11-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92ehatch)

.35 us almost perfect it think
Old 11-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92ehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

arent those clearances kinda large?

the helms manual says for piston to block clearance limit is .0004 to .0016

service limit being .002

why run the vitaras at .0035 or greater?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

With forced induction, the pistons will get hotter and get bigger.

I'm gonna be pushing 300 hp on these puppies. During the burnout and 1/4 mile run, they're gonna heat up alot. You need some leeway so they don't start scraping the cylinder wall at the top of fourth gear.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tippyman)

My YCP's I got from fjt are taking a beating at 18psi, every day.

I bought the 75.5 set, and had my engine machined to match, I forget what the clearances were, but if anyone is interested I could ask.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Minor Threat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Minor Threat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My YCP's I got from fjt are taking a beating at 18psi, every day.

I bought the 75.5 set, and had my engine machined to match, I forget what the clearances were, but if anyone is interested I could ask.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes! i will be running similar, if not a little higher boost levels. What size turbo?
Old 11-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a Holset HY35, similar compressor to the HX, which is rated to around 55lbs/min of air I believe, so roughly 550WHP?

No idea what it's laying down for power, I would guess high 200's? The timing is super conservative, even for a D, and I havn't had the money to get on a dyno and tune the damn thing.

Word to the wise, watch out on running tons of boost on the D, even with conservative timing, the pumpgas limit of the D is a lot lower than a B series. I'd keep it under 350WHP on pump if you want the sucker to last.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Minor Threat)

I am going for 300 on pump.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tippyman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

With forced induction, the pistons will get hotter and get bigger.

I'm gonna be pushing 300 hp on these puppies. During the burnout and 1/4 mile run, they're gonna heat up alot. You need some leeway so they don't start scraping the cylinder wall at the top of fourth gear. </TD></TR></TABLE>

makes alot of sense, thanks.

i think im gonna get the 75.5 and have my block bored to match.

i only plan on running about 200- 250 hp to the wheels, its a daily driver/toy

i first planned to run stock internals, but after seeing a rod at the machine shop in the shape of an S, i decided i want something a little stronger

im still debating on the eagles or the tuner toys rods, but for 100 less and good reviews the TT rods sound just fine to me.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you get them from FJT you'll be good to go. Here's a thread I made about the pistons and measurements.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2045271

Quick Reply: Nippon racing vitara vs YCP vitara