Notices

Newbie wanting to supercharge a 98 integra gs-r

Old 07-08-2003, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie wanting to supercharge a 98 integra gs-r

Sorry I posted this in the wrong place if u seen my question b4. Hope you folks out there can help a newbie out. Planning to put that supercharger blower into a 98 gs-r is that ok even though the b18c1 has a higher compression ratio (vtec)? Heard it was not ideal since supercharger or boosting needs lower compressions? Also heard from friends that though Jackson racing says their blowers are "bolt on" they say its not totally true. friends say better reinforce the engine parts but i'm fuzzy on what to reinforce: piston rings, valves, and wha? maybe reinforcing is not needed, but i do plan 2 drive daily. Comments? Suggestions? Thanx y'all!
Old 07-08-2003, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie wanting to supercharge a 98 integra gs-r (Slow+Furious)

it would be ok on a gsr motor. Higher compression just means that it is more susceptible to detonation...ie. requires more tuning.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Newbie wanting to supercharge a 98 integra gs-r (BoostedSi)

Oh really I thought it meant more revs attainable? Shucks then I gotta dig in for more info/advice....
So i guess tuning on a dyno is the best thing for that?
Old 07-08-2003, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

high compression just means you can mamke more power. Moss motors now offers complete kits that allow you to up the boost and come with Hondata and maps that are fully tuned already and if you want can be fine tuned on the dyno for that last tittle bit of power.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Newbie wanting to supercharge a 98 integra gs-r (Spunkster)

thanx dude
where can I get more info about Moss motors?
Old 07-09-2003, 11:12 AM

i used to have a jrsc it setting in my garage floor collecting dust while im rippin up trans ams and mustang cobras with my new turbo kit. the jrsc is okay but for the money you can build a nice turbo kit... just a little fyi a turbo at 5 psi will stomp the **** out of a jrsc at 8 psi. boost is boost 5 psi is alot safer than 8 and you dont have to worry about throwing belts and the other stupid stuff that follows the jrsc. people are affraid of turbos but if tuned properly they are fun and rewarding trust me youll kick yourself later if you go with the sc
Old 07-09-2003, 11:58 AM

Honda-Tech is the best place to learn about boosting. Use that "search" function in the top right-hand corner of the screen. People love to answer questions here, but they don't like answering the same questions over and over again. Here is some info to get you started.

Moss Motors is Jackson Racing. They have a website that answers a lot of questions about their products. The dyno charts there overstate the power gains a little, but so does every other performance parts seller. If you decide on a supercharger then Jackson racing is buy far the number one choice. You can buy them used here as well as on the "forced induction integra" forum at hostboard.com. The jrsc is called "bolt on" because you don't have to open up the engine or change any of the internal parts. "Bolt on" does not mean "simple" There is a lot involved in properly installing a supercharger. I highly recommend it only be done by an experienced mechanic. Your stock engine will handle the 10-11 psi maximum boost that a jrsc can produce. All you will need is some sort of engine management system to control the timing and fuel delivery.

There are about a thousand threads on the subject of supercharging versus turbocharging. They both have their advantages. It all depends on what you want to do with your car.

I also suggest that you read the book "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell.

Good luck with your search.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Newbie wanting to supercharge a 98 integra gs-r (fredtoast)

yo thanx fredtoast and hondahvn for your words of wisdom!!
My friend said this is an awesome forum and glad 2 learn from people around here not the other forums I'm on
Yea I was afraid stuff like this has been talked about for years and people plain bored of replying to more questions (especially newbie ones! )
Yea being newbie i'm afraid of boosting wit a turbo, unless i know more about fine tuning that B18C1 and how 2 keep the engine's life as long as I can. Especially since I want the best bang for buck i'm almost guarenteed going 2 forced induction
thanx again
Old 07-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 95 B18c1 boosted right now at 6 psi, running on Hondata S100 with boost option and JSRC...got it tuned at a very reputable Hondata tuning shop, puts out what is listed on my signature. I bought this S/C used from a a friend who had an unfortunate accident...

I installed this JRSC with the help of a friend from this board(TurboSol), and it took us 2 days of working to get it installed...but it was worth it in the long run. My car runs great and still gets about 27 to 29 MPG, and a whole bunch more torque than I ever dreamed at 3000 RPM... One of the best purchases i have made...
Old 07-10-2003, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Newbie wanting to supercharge a 98 integra gs-r (Blue-Civic-Hybrid)

whoa! your figures are what I'm looking for in my ride in the future!
The prob is that I'm not sure if Hondata S100 or any related chips are available up here in Toronto, Canada. There's a possibility, but if so I'm not sure if there are mechanics around here that are experienced at tuning these Hondata chips.
If there ain't Hondata available I just go with JR Boost Timing Control and Mapping Control?
Old 07-11-2003, 08:28 AM

my 95 gsr bone stock motor i mean bone stock... made 259 whp and 212 ft/lb of torque at 6 psi. this was with a rev hard turbo kit wich comes with a vortec fmu it still has factory power steering and a/c.