Notices

Newbie Turbo D-series questions :D

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Official H-T Cake Maker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Turbo D-series questions :D

ok... i have some questions about "custom" turbo kits for a D SERIES. kind of a newbie just in the turbo section only. what parts/turbo/piping etc would i need for a lets say decent powerd system? i see some people selling used kits for like 800-1000. Can i keep a budget of buying parts while still maintaing a resonable price by using custom parts? Also, what kind of power can i get out of this? thanks..
Old 12-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie Turbo D-series questions :D (C4st0r_Tr0y)

More info:
What engine? What are your power goals? Daily driver? What kind of driving (autocross, drag)?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Official H-T Cake Maker

Default Re: Newbie Turbo D-series questions :D (Wilky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wilky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">More info:
What engine? What are your power goals? Daily driver? What kind of driving (autocross, drag)?</TD></TR></TABLE>

engine: D16y7
power: 200+?
daily driver
possibly autocross later
Old 12-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie Turbo D-series questions :D (C4st0r_Tr0y)

Greddy kit !, any kit can make over 200 greddy good to about 250whp. Nice quick spool etc.

Anyway do a search there is tons of info on here.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Newbie Turbo D-series questions :D (turbozxi)

Greddy kits blow *** because you can't upgrade them at all.

Go custom...
Old 12-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie Turbo D-series questions :D (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Greddy kits blow *** because you can't upgrade them at all.

Go custom... </TD></TR></TABLE> Yeah but he only wants 200ish
Old 12-09-2005, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Newbie Turbo D-series questions :D (turbozxi)

Yeah maybe 200ish for about a week. Everybody always wants more power.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie Turbo D-series questions :D (beerbongskickass)

speaking of more power.. still plan to build beerbongskickass?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Newbie Turbo D-series questions :D (GiNuWiNe)

Eh maybe someday. If I do it will defintely be a sleeved Z6 making about eleventy billion horsepower.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i am with one of the d series top ninjas , bbka is right, do a custom setup, hf mani, id go with something like a small t3, make your own charge pipes and dp, use brakes lines for oil feed, oil drain is easy, bov's are cheap, internally gated, tune with something like uberdata!
Old 12-10-2005, 07:14 AM

Default Re: (wpgcivic)

Id at least go with a log mani or some kind of tubular mani. HF is only if your really trying to cut corners. I would also get an external gate if you ever plan on boosting more than 10psi (I wish I would have just spent the money on one in the first place because I ended up getting one anyways). I really hated my internal gate and it creeped/spiked bad after 10+ psi so if you got the cash I would get one, if not that's okay. DSM bov works and is cheap. Go with a decent sized t3 also like a t3 60/48 (my car spools fine). Having somebody that can weld will really cut the cost down (charge pipes, downpipe, exhaust. Crome seems to be the prefered free engine management system these says, but I have been using uberdata for 2 years without any problems (tune your car really well, it's the most important part of your turbo kit). DSM 450cc injectors will work great (that's what I use). An aftermarket clutch and 3 inch exhaust is a must if you ask me (will let you put the power to the ground and let it flow well). Traction is also very important so do what you can with the suspension (springs, struts, lsd, good motor mounts, drag radials, etc...). Good traction is one reason my car is so quick. Turbo kits really aren't too complicated, just have a friend with some experiance help you out.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im going to have to disagree, there is nothing wrong with the internal gate, i used it all year with a cheap ebay b&s boost controller, i just changed the spring in the mbc and never had one problem all year with boost spike or boost loss, 3" would be nice but not 100% necessary i am running 2.5 and made over 200 wheel with no probs, and yeah log mani's could be found cheap so go that route and no customizing to a hf will be necessary even though i did it
Old 12-10-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Re: (wpgcivic)

Disagree all you want, but the fact is internal wastegates suck *** if your running a decent amount of boost (10+ psi). It will work fine for 200whp and about 10psi, but when you want to turn the boost up it will be a pain in the ***. If he gets a T3 w/internal WG it's probably going to be set fairly low. The more you crank your MBC up the more your internal WG will creep and spike. The most I could ever get out of mine was about 12psi with a little creep and that was with the MBC cranked all the way. My internal WG was a PAIN in the ***, and if I knew that before I went turbo I would have defintely went with an external gate from the begining. That's the biggest thing I would have done differently with my setup. External wastegates are just more simple, buy a bigger spring, put it in, and call it a day.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Official H-T Cake Maker

Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

well yeh. im looking for 200+ while keeping it under a resonable price.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hah, now your making me wanna go external although i was just posting from personal experiance, that i was running 11 psi fine, then went to 14 and was all good, then last day of driving it i went to 17 psi stock d16z6 and never once had a problem and more to go on the mbc! but yeah external is more reliable and predictable!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

take it from me... invest the money in a decent setup now (log mani, good turbo, external WG, etc) and save yourself the trouble down the road. Im at a point now where i want a better setup (currently running the Greddy kit) and im going to end up spending tons more on a mani, new DP, WG etc. You can always build your motor down the road if you want more power. You should have a good setup to start with so when that day comes you just crank up the boost.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Iceman05)

i turboed my D-series, and built the engine, weisco pistons eagle rods ect.... it makes between 250 and 300hp, i had problems with my internal waste gate, it sucked, boost creep put a rod through my stock engine... get an external gate..
tial makes a sweet waste gate for $200 i think i spent on it..
you can also make your own ic piping cheap, use some mandrel u bends and some radiator hose for the couplings

look at what your doing with your engine, any coners cut now will probably cost you more down the road... doit right the first time.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Official H-T Cake Maker

Default Re: (Trailz-EX)

ya..i think if i end up doing this. i would spend the extra bucks and get a external wastegate. just need some info and good ideas from you people who know what you are talking about.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (C4st0r_Tr0y)

i have seen cheap tube style manifolds on ebay, in fact im using one... it has the bracket for an external gate and came with a plate to block it off if for whatever reason you go with an internal gate... plus with the external gate you can make a dump tube and just dump the exhaust right out under the car... when the gate opens up its like having an open header! in a tunnel or by the jersey burrier (or passing by trans ams and mustangs) you almost wish you had ear plugs in.

not to mention the fact that it offers you almost unlimited room to upgrade futher down the road..

just watch with the tube manifolds cuz they break if they arent supported right..
the waste gate bracket fell off of mine.. i had it rewelded by a guy at work, he also welded a bracket on it to support the waste gate, its been fine since then.

i also made a bracket to support the turbo so it wasnt hanging just from the studs on the head.. i built it into the plate that blocks the internal waste gate and connects the down pipe, it bolts to the turbo then to the motor where the factory exhaust manifold bolted to.. i highly recomend doing this i have seen head studs break and even the manifolds crack in half. any support is good and worth the trouble doing it now, paying for weld jobs, saves lots of parts from breaking
Old 12-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Official H-T Cake Maker

Default Re: (Trailz-EX)

ya. anyone here bought stuff from "spoolin performance" in sponsers? he has a nice d serier log mani package w/ downpipe and dump tube i belive. for like around $500
Old 12-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Official H-T Cake Maker

Default Re: (C4st0r_Tr0y)

so can i use a external wastegate with a log manifold?
Old 12-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes you can