Notices

New turbo owner here, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 07:45 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New turbo owner here, some questions

Hey! JoTech in Garland just installed my turbo. I picked it up last night and spent most of today enjoying it!! It's tons of fun, as I'm sure you all know it is But I've got some questions.....

NOTE: I might be a little paranoid, it's my first turbo and I've only had it a day. Oh, and it's a Rev Hard stage 2 kit for a B18B. And I have an LS automatic tranny.

1) I got the GReddy oil pressure guage. It seems to work right, but the needle vibrates. Sometimes it doesn't vibrate too much, sometimes it seems to vibrate excessively. Is this normal? Does the fuel pressure fluctuate so much to cause this guage needle to vibrate like that? (I suppose..) Or could the guage or sensor be faulty?

2) Again about the oil pressure guage.... The red warning light on that guage has blinked a few times, only when I'm at idle (such as at a stoplight). It doesn't do it all the time. What I did was just give the car some gas while at the light, and keep the rpms around 1000 (and the red warning light wouldn't blink anymore since the oil pressure would rise). I was thinking maybe my idle speed was too low (it seems to idle around 500-600rpm, no fluctation). Any thoughts?

3) The EGT guage... No problems with it, just wanted some clarification. On the GReddy guage, I'm pretty sure it says "x100 C", so it does read in Celcius? The guage doesn't read anything till the car and turbo warms up (so I guess the temp is under 300). Cruising out with no boost, it seems to sit around 400. But after flooring it a few times or for awhile, it's gotten as high as 680-690. Sounds normal? Is this really Celcius, and isn't that pretty damn hot? I think I've heard as high as 750 is safe?

4) My check engine light came on! It seems to have fixed itself. Here's what happened: I watched a Camaro come up on me, and I waited for him to pass. As he was passing me, I floored it. He had momentum already, so he passed me and then changed lanes in front me. However, I stuck right with him as soon as he changed into my lane. Well, I have an automatic transmission, and I had left the shifter in D3, so it wouldn't shift from 3rd to 4th. Well boost came on strong, and yep, soon enough I was banging the rev limiter. OOPS! So the check engine light came on, and it's the first time that has ever happened to me (even after my swap). I gave up on the Camaro and just about pulled over, but we were on the interstate. The car wasn't running quite right, I think backfire mostly. I turned off at the next exit and pulled into a neighborhood, and just turned the car off. Well, the turbo timer ran for about 20 seconds, but I went ahead and shut it off since the check light was on and things weren't right. I popped the hood and everything looked fine to me, and checked underneath for any leaks (none found). So I sat for a few minutes and started the car back up. Everything seemed to be back to normal, so I relieved.. Lucky eh? Maybe the rev limiter saved me

Anyhow, the car seems strong and fast. I think it's only about 170whp though, the boost guage peaks at a tad over .4 BAR. But I think that's safe for daily driving and the auto tranny. Driving with a turbo sure is different
Old 11-22-2001, 07:51 PM
Texas B*tch!

Default Re: New turbo owner here, some questions (AutoSol)

Ok....................................
The turbo was just installed dude take it easy on the turbo, you have to break that baby in like the virgin it is. Another thing, how much did Jotech charge to put that baby in? hehe you can private msg it to me if you feel comfortable, not many like to throw prices around. Later.
Old 11-22-2001, 08:41 PM
New User

Default Re: New turbo owner here, some questions (ForcedAccord)

Alright, I'll try to go easy. I wasn't racing every car in sight. I was just cruising around breaking in it like I should. Actually, more like just getting familiar with all the extra power.

Oh, and anyone can just call JoTech and ask them what they charge. 500 bucks. It was suppose to take 2 days, but they convinced me to give them 3. Clean install, I know I couldn't have done better! BUT -- I am disappointed that the pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body (charge pipe??) was rubbing against the edge of the hole where the stock air intake goes through. It made a noise, and was obviously scratching (there are marks on the pipe). So for now I put a cut piece of rubber hose between the pipe and the edge of the hole. No more noise!

Old 11-24-2001, 01:34 AM
New User

Default TTT, and...

I think I figured out why my oil pressure gauge was blinking the red warning light at idle (GReddy gauge). It was reading below 1.0. I think it had something to do with that fact there was a leak in my radiator hose. My stock temp guage seemed to be reading ok (but I think that thing sucks -- it either reads OFF, normal, or HOT!).

Read my story at http://www.superhonda.org/board/show...2&pagenumber=2

Night...
Old 11-24-2001, 07:52 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey autosol what are u using for an intake?

also im interested in seeing your set up, id like to see if there is anything that differs in the jotech install from my install.. we should have some kind of DFW turbo honda meet or sumthin.. It would have to be word of mouth though cause only about 5 of us are on honda-tech
Old 11-24-2001, 09:49 AM
New User

Default Re: New turbo owner here, some questions (DIRep972)

Right now I don't even have an intake on the turbo. The inlet is just covered with a metal mesh for now. JoTech said the kit didn't come with on, and they didn't have a turbo intake in stock. They ordered one last Monday, but it didn't show up by Wednesday. And no way I was leaving my car there over Thanksgiving break! Anyway, it's on order, so I'll pick it up from them next week.

I don't have any real good pictures yet, but here's are some...

I couldn't do my own install. I lack the confidence It's like doing surgery on my own kid! No way. <grin>

A meet would be cool. I get every other Friday off from work, or a weekend would be good. I don't like to meet at night -- I don't wanna have to carry a flashlight to really look at peoples rides

Old 11-24-2001, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on your guage you might want to check the sending unit to the oil pressure guage. I had the same prob and it was caused by the screw at the end of it to be loose. Just tighten that bad boy and check it out. If that dont work try looking at other places. WHERE I DUNNO. Just remember dont get boost happy on that automatic. We hooked up a auto civic 4 dr with a kit and had to upgrade the torque converter to handle the added Hp increase... Good luck
Old 11-24-2001, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New turbo owner here, some questions (synergy004)

Where do u people get that idea that u have to break in a turbo (amateurs)
Old 11-24-2001, 12:08 PM
New User

Default Re: New turbo owner here, some questions (synergy004)

DRAGLS: Yep, I'm a turbo amateur I'm told by others that no break in is needed.

synergy004: With the new radiator hose and the radiator refilled, the oil pressure gauge isn't reading below 1.0 at idle anymore. But the needle still seems to bounce too much. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.

Another person told me about a busted torque converter on a turbocharged Civic (del Sol Si). Hmmm. I'm using an Integra LS auto tranny, so I'm not sure if it's any "stronger" or not than the Civic ones. But I'm gonna start saving up for a new torque converter. Though I'm not looking forward to having to pull the engine out to put the new converter in...
Old 11-24-2001, 01:26 PM

Make sure you get a filter on there! Just a word of advice
Old 11-24-2001, 01:42 PM
New User

I've posted more pictures at the thread I listed above... and I'll include them here..

Old 11-24-2001, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what is this??
Old 11-24-2001, 07:31 PM

2) Again about the oil pressure guage.... The red warning light on that guage has blinked a few times, only when I'm at idle (such as at a stoplight). It doesn't do it all the time. What I did was just give the car some gas while at the light, and keep the rpms around 1000 (and the red warning light wouldn't blink anymore since the oil pressure would rise). I was thinking maybe my idle speed was too low (it seems to idle around 500-600rpm, no fluctation). Any thoughts?
this aint a good sign,usually when i see a car do this with factory light, the bearings are going south....what PSI is oil reading on the greddy at idle?

[Modified by D-Man, 4:33 AM 11/25/2001]
Old 11-24-2001, 10:00 PM
New User

Default Re: New turbo owner here, some questions (D-Man)

D-Man: What do you mean factory light? And you mean main bearings?

I replaced my lower radiator hose, which developed some cracks and was leaking coolant. And I've been checking the radiator to make sure it's full, and it has been. I've been keeping an eye on the oil pressure, and ever since I replaced that hose, it's been reading around 1.2 kg/cm3 at idle. When the car is cold (like starting up in the morning), it's over 2.0 at idle. The red warning light hasn't been blinking.

My guess is the loss of coolant was causing the oil to heat up too much, reducing the oil pressure?

Hopefully that's all. Would the increase in temperature of the turbo (to the engine bay in general) cause old hoses to crack? Most of my hoses are original with 115k miles on them.. I had to replace the heater hose a few weeks after my swap. It had split and gushed coolant all over.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:07 PM
New User

Default Re: New turbo owner here, some questions (lazyvietboi)

lazyvietboi: I'm not 100% sure, but I think it powers the inline fuel pump (or rather powers goes from the battery, through this thing, and to the pump). I'm not sure what the jumper is for, but one wire goes to the + terminal of battery, another goes to the fuel pump, and then the third heads towards the dash (perhaps the ignition, so the fuel pump comes on before the starter??). I'm sure there is another wire going to ground somewhere.... i'm not even sure what inline pump it is, but I'm making a list of things to ask JoTech when I go back to pick up the intake filter.

Old 11-24-2001, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: gravity rides everything...everything will fall, se GA/ne FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey...it's just like mine except different, kinda sorta. nice to actually see the set up finally...sweetness steve! you'll have to tell me more about your experiences so far. this is kevin btw.
Old 11-24-2001, 11:43 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: New turbo owner here, some questions (the sneezer EG)

Good to see another turbo honda in the DFW area. We need to get together some day. I also have a Rev-hard turbo kit and there are some things I would change on any Rev-hard kit. DIRep972 is another person that has a rev-hard and he didnt put it on untill he had the little nick nacks done on the kit. Jotech most of the time does good work, but they only use what comes with the kit which means they dont go out of their way to fix the little things that are wrong abou the kit.

art
Old 11-24-2001, 11:49 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: New turbo owner here, some questions (lazyvietboi)

what is this??
that relay is for the fuel pump.

art
Old 11-25-2001, 07:33 AM
New User

Default Re: New turbo owner here, some questions (Arturbo)

Arturbo: You're right, there was one fitment problem with the kit that I think JoTech should have fixed. You know there is a pipe that goes out of the intercooler, through the intake hole (where the stock air intake goes through), and into the throttle body? Well, that pipe was rubbing against the edge of the hole that it passes through, which made a bad metal-on-metal noise when driving.

I think the installer should have noticed this, and bored out that hole a little bit. I don't have a drummel or anything myself. So what I did was slice a piece of rubber hose and squeezed it between the pipe and the edge of the hole, and that fixed the squeaky noise. And that rubber piece has stuck in place for the last 3 days, so it'll hold...

Old 11-25-2001, 08:26 AM

Is your inline pump attached to anything or is it just hanging there?
Old 11-25-2001, 09:40 AM
New User

Default Re: New turbo owner here, some questions (1)

As a matter of fact, it is just hanging there. It doesn't swing freely, but I can wiggle it around. It's sort of wedge between some hoses. Should it be clamped or bolted to something?
Old 11-25-2001, 09:50 AM

I was just curious because I am doing an install of one today and looking for the best spot (suggestions anyone?). I don't think that something with that kind of weight should just be suspended like that. Acceleration, shifting, turning can eventually pull a hose or wire loose and you could end up with serious problems...imo
Old 11-25-2001, 10:15 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arturbo: You're right, there was one fitment problem with the kit that I think JoTech should have fixed. You know there is a pipe that goes out of the intercooler, through the intake hole (where the stock air intake goes through), and into the throttle body? Well, that pipe was rubbing against the edge of the hole that it passes through, which made a bad metal-on-metal noise when driving.

I think the installer should have noticed this, and bored out that hole a little bit. I don't have a drummel or anything myself. So what I did was slice a piece of rubber hose and squeezed it between the pipe and the edge of the hole, and that fixed the squeaky noise. And that rubber piece has stuck in place for the last 3 days, so it'll hold...
actually autosol I had that same problem with the pipe into the throttle body.. What eventually happened was it suved itself in and blocked the butterflies from opening.. I had to cut some of the pipe to make it fit.. You should go to jotech and tell them that its rubbing, they should fix it for u i would assume..

I also noticed your FMU is only held in by 1 screw, its not really a big deal but I think it would look nicer if u had both screws in there..

[Modified by DIRep972, 7:16 PM 11/25/2001]
Old 11-25-2001, 01:48 PM
New User

Default Re: New turbo owner here, some questions (DIRep972)

Ha! Yeah, I noticed that too after looking at the pictures. I'll bring it up with JoTech, and about that pipe rubbing. It's not rubbing anymore, since I have the slices up rubber piece between the two pieces that were rubbing. But it doesn't look real nice.