Notices

New turbo install problems... any and all suggestions welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New turbo install problems... any and all suggestions welcome.

Setup:

2000 Si

b16a2
Precision sc61
Lovefab sst
rx7 550cc injectors
tial bov
tial wg
custom charge pipes
2 foot exhaust

Well we've got everything hooked up, ready to go. We start the car, runs good for about 3 seconds, then CEL. But here is the problem. My ECU isn't storing the code, so we have no idea what the problem could be.

Also with the key in the on position, the IACV is buzzing ??? Unplug it and it stops, plug it back in and wham.

EGT, Boost, and fuel pressure gauges working properly.

Some more info on the symptoms. The CEL is a limp code. Runs super super super super super rich. We had to extend the 02 sensor 4-wires to reach the side exit exhaust.

Also for hooking up the injectors, has anyone spliced in rx7 injectors before? We just matched the common wires on the rx7 to the common on the stock clips.

I know I'm forgetting something, but please all suggestions welcome. Any questions please ask.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Re: New turbo install problems... any and all suggestions welcome. (Unsung EM1)

Forgot to add, Hulkhb from crp has a similar setup, rx7 550's, so i swapped my ECU with his, and i had the same problem.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New turbo install problems... any and all suggestions welcome. (Unsung EM1)

are you running Hondata ? VAFC hack ? why isn't your ECU stores the code ?
DId it flash at all when you jump it ?

stan
Old 02-23-2004, 07:49 PM

Default Re: New turbo install problems... any and all suggestions welcome. (Flamenco-T)

running a p28 w/uberdata. no idea why it doesn't store the code, it hasn't since day one when i had my kenji all motor program in. Doesn't flash at all.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did u try putting a stock ecu in and waiting for the code?
Old 02-23-2004, 08:19 PM

Default Re: New turbo install problems... any and all suggestions welcome. (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did u try putting a stock ecu in and waiting for the code?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Funny you should say that, I just thought about that... but I don't think the stock ECU will idle the 550's. I may swap ECU and Harness with my buddy and see if his stores a code.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Car probably died because iacv. It is supposed to make a small buzzing noise, but you can't hear it unless your right up to it. Did you mess with the map or tps sensors? Make sure they are not switched.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it will probably run w/ 550's but pour black smoke...
Old 02-23-2004, 08:32 PM

Default Re: New turbo install problems... any and all suggestions welcome. (Mase)

floor it when you crank it, it should be able to at least start (al you need for the code) no way in hell it will idle it.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New turbo install problems... any and all suggestions welcome. (94goldjungsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94goldjungsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no way in hell it will idle it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not true
Old 02-23-2004, 08:39 PM

true! i had to take 30% off 450s to idle them on stock ecu

i remember idling 550s on hondata I think i had to take off like 20%? Can't remember... I remember it idling close to stock pulse widths and it sounded like a v8 70s drag car
Old 02-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New turbo install problems... any and all suggestions welcome. (94goldjungsr)

you should be able to get it started and idle a little bit with 550cc. It will idle like crap, but it should be enough to pull any code.

On the other hand, try to take your IACV off, disconnect the 2 coolant lines and try to shake it. If you hear rattiling, it may be your IACV that are going out..

stan
Old 02-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

same thing happened to my p28. The ecu was garbage.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New turbo install problems... any and all suggestions welcome. (Meat_Wagon)

hey jake, when i put my uberdata in the first couple days it acted wierd for a bit, it would sort of choke/bog when i drove it too, but my problem was i was getting no CEL's. i swapped a regular ecu in and a code immediately showed up. it was a map sensor code. apparently between the time i was switching from afc-hack to uberdata, i fried the map sensor. could've been the 13-16psi boost creeps i had with my old manifold/turbo setup haha. but i swapped out a new map sensor and its been running fine. i also noticed as the days went by it drove better n better haha but that could've been all in my head.

but anyways, this probably isnt your problem but it was my initial experience. but check it anyways
Old 02-24-2004, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're running Uberdata post your .bin file and we'll have a look. If the car starts and idles and then throws a CEL likely something in your .bin is off.

And while you're at it, give this .bin a try. I'm running a B16A off a P28 so I modified my stock .bin for 550s. Try it and see if the car runs with it. Right-click-save-as.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D
Old 02-24-2004, 08:27 AM

It will idle with the 550's.. but its gonna idle like ****.. as long as you get that code though who cares..
Old 02-24-2004, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New turbo install problems... any and all suggestions welcome. (raene)

He tried another ECU...
I actually made the .bin, for him, and turned off the knock-board, which is about the only reason it should throw a code (unless just super-duper rich, which I doubt).
Old 02-24-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Re: New turbo install problems... any and all suggestions welcome. (ion_four)

I have the coolant lines bypassed in the IACV and TB, so that might be a problem since I've never heard it buzz before. Got the stock ECU, going to pull the code after work today.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My IACV and coolant lines are bypassed, no coolant goes through my IACV and I have zero problems, and have had zero problems all throughout the winter. No funky idle here!
Old 02-24-2004, 10:52 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unsung EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Setup:2 foot exhaust</TD></TR></TABLE>

Holy god, your car must be able to **** midgets.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raene &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My IACV and coolant lines are bypassed, no coolant goes through my IACV and I have zero problems, and have had zero problems all throughout the winter. No funky idle here!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never had any problems either with my obd2 or obd1, but since I put this new program in, its the first time ive heard the IACV buzz, so I might'd as well give it a shot.

Also not sure if I asked yet, but can the 02 wires be too long? We had to extend them quite a bit....

EDIT: Sharing a computer forHT sucks
Old 02-24-2004, 01:16 PM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unsung EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I never had any problems either with my obd2 or obd1, but since I put this new program in, its the first time ive heard the IACV buzz, so I might'd as well give it a shot.

Also not sure if I asked yet, but can the 02 wires be too long? We had to extend them quite a bit....

EDIT: Sharing a computer forHT sucks </TD></TR></TABLE>

My o2 wires are extending quite a bit and no problems..

can you verify that the injectors aren't @ fault? weren't some of the rx7 injectors differene impendences? I had some injectors that were too high of an impendence and it made everything screwy. Car was just dumping fuel, couldn't read any codes, hondata couldn't pick up any readings, etc...
Old 02-24-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: New turbo install problems... any and all suggestions welcome. (Mpir3)

Problem has GOTTA be injectors... Hulkhb with the rx7 550's has different clips on his, which leaves me suspicious. I'm getting some Precision injectors overnighted, hopefully that'll fix the problem.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:17 PM

BTW put in the stock P2T ecu, Hulkhb's p28, and a different basemap... all had the same problem.. interestingly enough though, the stock P2T didn't have a CEL within 5 seconds. In fact I let it idle for about 30 seconds with no CEL, but ran too rough so I couldn't keep it running to pull a code, if one came up.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:00 PM

Word on the street from a reliable source just told me that 84-87.5 rx7 550's were low impedance... I think that's my problem, although i don't know the year of these injectors, theres nothing else it can be... hopefully.

Quick Reply: New turbo install problems... any and all suggestions welcome.