Notices

New to the turbo game, need help, suggestions on turbines, kits, etc!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the turbo game, need help, suggestions on turbines, kits, etc!!

ok so i have been debating on doing this for quite so time now, but ive always been told. you get what you pay for, so i just figured why bother doing it if i can't buy a quality turbo kit.
my purpose is simple, drive it to enjoy it, definatley not drag it, but the ocasional freeway/ late night street race here & there if any. i don't abuse my cars at all so im not planning on a crazy setup. i just want to aim for 350-400HP & keep it reliable for commuting. i don't know anything about the different turbos & parts like
T3/T4, TO4E, waste gates, BOV, etc. i know there are different combinations & stuff. plus i really hate the look of cast iron manifolds too.
im looking to spend around $2k-2.5k for a kit at the most. but if it can be done for less & still be what im looking for then thats the plan.
im not worried about getting it tuned cuz i will have that done as well.
here is my setup.
1994 integra GS-R w/ 104k original miles
awesome compression numbers too!
stock bottomend
blox B stage 2 cams
supertech springs & retainers
skunk2 pro series intake manifold
skunk2 cam gears
p72 tuned on crome by redzone performance
made 178hp & 126tq. w/ this setup & w/ stock airbox, cat, dc 421 header.

i saw this kit on ebay, not sure if this would be considered cheap & un reliable.
any help, info, pics, & suggestions would be greatly apreciated!!
thanks
-j
Old 02-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New to the turbo game, need help, suggestions on turbines, kits, etc!!

it is a complete kit, but agin the ebay mass kits still scare me. i think youd be better off sourcing quality used stuff, or a named kit in the marketplace.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to the turbo game, need help, suggestions on turbines, kits, etc!!

I would never use that... china no...
Old 02-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the advice. im going to soruce quality parts too, i just wanted to make sure im heading in the right direction. im talking to someone from autoworks about one of their turbo kits. have you heard of them?
thanks
Old 02-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does anyone know where i can draw the line from a reliable fast turbo/ to a drag race turbo?? i don't want a crazy race expensive turbo. i just want a reliable fast affordable turbo kit & lean towards 350-400hp w/ my setup posted above.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:10 PM

man i am in the same boat you are i want to make the same power and just have some fun so if you some turbo suggestings hit me up with them
Old 02-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

peakboost, full race, autoworks. all good quality names. 2.5k can definately get you a nice kit.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, yeah im talking to one the autoworks guys on nwp now.
$2100 for a bullseye kit? i think thats what they are calling it. tuner series maybe?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any other suggestions are info on parts & how they work or what they do so to speak.
thanks!
Old 02-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think that would be a good starter kit
thats probably one of the best t3t4's out there
Old 02-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the .70AR is not for the turbine side but the compressor, then make sure you get something larger than a .48 on the turbine side your other option will probably be a .63 so get that

get what ever turbine option that is less than .82 and more than .48 it would take me a while to explain since your new to turbos but just trust me
Old 02-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the only turbos i would ever recommend that ANYONE should buy on ebay is a good looking holset and the only manifold i would buy off of ebay would be a cast manifold because they are pretty hard to screw up

you can find some nice piping clamps and intercoolers on ebay but not the important stuff like turbo or manifold

and in case you don't know the most important part of all is getting it tuned by a reputable tuner and on getting tuned you get what you pay for and if you want your motor to last a good tune is a necessity especially on a stock piston and rod motor

where are you located and im sure someone can tell you a good tuner nearby
Old 02-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, im pretty much covered in the aspect of tuning, i live in norcal & im friends w/ the owner ofr redzone performance (jeremy duarte) is has tuned the car already w/ what it has & im very impressed w/ his own turbo setup!!! i personally recorded his dyno session, watching him hit 500 + HP on his setup. & i've been in the car too!! it scares me!!! but also makes me want a turbo at the same time!! funny huh! i bother him way too much w/ car stuff so i just want to know & learn more for myself since it's my own car under the chopping block. thanks for all the help & i'll be sure to ask you more once get closer to finding the exact kit i want.
thanks for the info!!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pm me back