Notices

New Turbo...First startup questions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Turbo...First startup questions!!!

Ok so i just started up my turbo accord for the first time. The first thing i noticed with my friend was smoke coming from the turbo. It didn't smell like oil or anything necessarily "bad" so i thought it might just be the grease and stuff since the turbo is new and maybe from greasy hands. I was in the car the second startup and my friend said it didn't smoke nearly as much that time. I'm guessing it was just grease. Is that what you guys think it would be?
The next thing i noticed was my aem uego 6 in 1. It did the startup where it runs through the numbers then stops at 14.8 for me (i thought it should be 14.7). Anyways this ecu is tuned for another turbo accord (Rhdune16's old setup). I noticed my idle seemed a pretty low on a warmed up engine. It eventually stalled out. It seems to jump really low to 1k and fluctuate in there. My Uego gauge was just staying at 14.8 even after i revved it slightly. Idk if my gauge is messed up or what. Could the low idle be due to the open downpipe setup right now? IACV? perhaps just the fact that it's tuned for another car?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 06-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: New Turbo...First startup questions!!! (accord_raffi)

yea, its just grease and oil burning off of the housing, plus some turbos have a protective coating of machine oil to keep them for corroding,

as far as the gauge, double check it, it shouldnt idle at 14:8... and as far as the idle goes, double check all of the vacuum lines and make sure you dont have a leak

also try checking your IACV and clean it if need be
Old 06-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Turbo...First startup questions!!! (wantboost)

ya i'm going to go out and buy a LOT of mini clamps for my vac lines.
also the gauge was at 14.8 even before i started the car up. like when i checked to see if i had power running to it.
fyi my plugs are gapped to .030...that's what the turbo civics and tegs i believe use so i figured i would be fine with that. I don't think that would necessarily matter for me, but just in case someone wanted to know.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

you have a gauge problem.. it could be the o2 sensor
call aem and see what they say
Old 07-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Turbo...First startup questions!!! (wantboost)

Well i went on some forums and it looks like when you first turn the car on to accessory it should do the run through and go to 14.7. right after that, it should go to --- since there is no exhaust flowing. mine does not go to ---. I'm going to check my wiring. i hope it's just a wiring issue because i do not feel like waiting for a new gauge or anything.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so i took out my gauges and OF COURSE the 6 pin was not connected so i plugged it in. I then turned the car on accessory and it did the full run through that i remember seeing my friend's do. It goes to 15.0 then to 14.x and then starts going all the way lean until it reached "---". Then, i turned the car on and it did the same sweep. It did no leave "---" until i revved it and it was around 15-16ish. But then it just goes back to "---." I've seen my friends' uegos go to --- while driving, but only for a split second. What do you guys think? I am going to try to take it out for a drive later.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry about this triple consecutive post lol. Anyways so i took out the tuned ecu that i was using since it was maxxed out at lean. I put the stock obd2 ecu in and i started it back up and i had much better luck. The air/fuel was reading very rich on the obd2. It was around 11's at idle...At one point the obd2 did come into the 14 range for the afr but then dropped again. Anyways, I was thinking maybe it would be better to leave the obd2 in until i got my tune done, and try not to drive it too much other than driving it to get the exhaust done. I don't think the tuned ecu would really "adapt" to the situation, i mean it is kind of on a fixed air fuel curve after all.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so i drove it quickly with both ecu's. Both were more or less leaned out. Should i bother trying to put in the stock injectors and seeing what happens? I haven't upgraded the fuel pump or put in an FPR yet but i know some other turbo accords havn't needed it. Should i order up a pump or try driving the car to the tuner?

HELP
Old 07-01-2008, 11:45 PM

new injectors and pump what kind of setup are you using.
also maybe your fuel filter is a little clogged?
i know if you havent yet do bigger injectors not sure what size but i know stock injectors on a turbo ssetup arent that great of an idea.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're using the stock ecu than use the stock 240cc injectors. Of course, you'll be rich at idle with bigger injectors on stock ecu. But be careful because too rich will wash your rings away. Do use a favor and get it tune before something bad happen to you. I hate to see a fresh built motor go to waste like that.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (da_dude)

i have the dsm 450cc injectors in right now. I don't understand why at idle the obd2 ecu would say i'm rich and then when i go out to drive it, i'll end up going lean...
Old 07-02-2008, 07:49 AM

Default Re: (accord_raffi)

i would stop driving it and listen to da_dude and go get that ish tuned
Old 07-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hotrod99)

lol i have to wait for tune day. i have an appointment on the 15th...it's the soonest i could get at dent sport garage. I talked to Matt over there and he said that it might be due to my open downpipe. My wideband is basically at the very end of it so fresh air is getting in which would tell the computer LEAN immediately. I asked about getting a Walbro 255 and he said the stock fuel pump can handle 300whp so i should be fine right now. My dad took my tools for some reason today so i have to wait for those to come back so i can try to rig up my old exhaust onto it.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:10 PM

Default Re: (da_dude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by da_dude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're using the stock ecu than use the stock 240cc injectors. Of course, you'll be rich at idle with bigger injectors on stock ecu. But be careful because too rich will wash your rings away. Do use a favor and get it tune before something bad happen to you. I hate to see a fresh built motor go to waste like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^ Listen to da_dude.

On the other hand, when is it leaning out? Most likely that leaning out period is from you coasting to a stop.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you even install a resistor box for your dsm injectors? But a fuel pump is only about 1 bill at max and it is cheap insurance. My friend didn't listen to me and his d16 turbo went lean when it turn the boost up to 10 psi on the dyno. That was with the 450cc and his stock fuel pump. Anything over 200whp it lean out quick. Get that damn 255lhp in so you won't regret it later.

IMO, It's better to have room for it to grow than not having enough.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sohc_coupe24)

The obd1 ecu is lean basically the entire time. I'm going to take out the injectors tomorrow and see if there is some kind of blockage...there shouldn't be but i might as well check. I may send out my ecu to phearable and have them send me a basemap. hopefully that will be good enough so that i can drive my car to the tuner.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (accord_raffi)

Well i decided i'm just going to have it towed to the tuner...I'm guessing they will figure out the problem. Whether it's the fuel system or the tune, i'm going to find out in the end. Wish me luck
Old 07-03-2008, 10:32 PM

Well done, Good luck with the tuning, tell us what numbers you put down !
Old 07-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your running a open dp and your wideband is in the stock location it's going to read "lean" because you have outside air mixing in your exhaust and the wideband is picking up the extra air. You also may need to calibrate the uego. I agree with getting a walbro there like 90 shipped on ht.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sr420Det)

how do you re-calibrate the UEGO? My tuner said not to worry about the fuel pump since the stock one is good for like 300hp...i'm not planning on going near that. But about the fresh air gettting to the sensor, i already rigged my old exhaust on to prevent any fresh air to get to the sensor. It still read lean.