Notices

new turbo build: ideas for built motor

Old 05-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new turbo build: ideas for built motor

my 99 gsr is currently turbo charged at 9 pounds with a gt35r making 365 hp. my motor is entirely stock except for type R cams. i will to start raising the power levels of the setup but i have to build the motor first. here are some of my thoughts, and help is apprecaited.

im looking for 500-600 hp in a full interior-ed integra gsr.

i have a Benson sleeved 83mm JDM ITR block. i want the bottom end to rev to 10k when needed and 9k on a daily basis. i understand the importance of balancing the bottom end and modifying the oil pump to function properly at higher rpm's and getting an ATI damper for the crank. is there anything else i need to keep an eye out for? the motor will not be daily driven, more like late night + weekend driven.

here are my ideas for the bottom end, let me know what you think....

83mm benson sleeved block
ITR crankshaft
CP 9.5 :1 pistons
carillo rods
ATI crank pulley damper
OEM honda bearings
modified ENDYNE b series ITR oil pump
blueprinting + balancing + assembly at laskey racing

here are some of my ideas for the head . . . .
99 GSR head (combustion chambers opened up to 83 MM)
laskey race port
stainless steel ferrea exhaust valves
ferrea ITR spec stainless steel intake valves
cams (not too sure maybe skunk tuner 1)
adjustable cam gears
supertech / or / ferrea retainers + dual valve springs
new ITR LMA's
AIR intake manifold

here is my current turbo system and plans for upgrading it....
full race ram horn manifold
40 or 44mm tial wastegate
tial 50 mm blowoff valve
forced performance gt3582R (i plan to send it to get freshened up + billet compressor wheels + balancing)
i want to get my exhaust manifold + turbo exhaust housing + downpipe thermal barrier coated
i have a 3in exhaust
a greddy intercooler (not sure when to upgrade to a bigger size) currently it fits my entire front bumper opening
i have my cooling system squared away, maybe a shroud for my fan?
RC 1000 CC injectors + resistor box (i want to switch over to injector dynamics injectors)
hondata s300 + mac valve for boost control

at what point do i have to start looking for straight cut gears for my transmission? i dont launch and only test the car from a roll.

my axles are stock as is my transmission. i have no LSD. should i worry about getting one?

i have a clutch masters fx500 pressure plate + an ACT 6 puck disk (grips but needs to be warmed up)
my tires a 205/45/r16 federal 595's (wanted to go to a 215 all around or just 225 in the front)

any input or advice is appreciated.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:09 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: new turbo build: ideas for built motor

For 500-600hp, you don't need to even upgrade your FP unit. You can keep the current one as it is. But there is currently a 6-8 week wait on the upgrades from them. There are some alternatives if you must but actually, there's not a lot more you need to do other than upgrade those stock brakes (yes, even with upgraded pads, you need a bit more).
Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
For 500-600hp, you don't need to even upgrade your FP unit. You can keep the current one as it is. But there is currently a 6-8 week wait on the upgrades from them. There are some alternatives if you must but actually, there's not a lot more you need to do other than upgrade those stock brakes (yes, even with upgraded pads, you need a bit more).
like s2000 front calipers? for the braking in the front? traction is a bad problem now too. i was thinking 225 's in the front with spacers and ARP extended wheel studs.

what do you think about building a motor to spin that high shodan? (is 9k and 10K) realistic? 10 not everyday, maybe once a blue moon, but 9k on a daily basis? i have no problem in spending the money where it needs to be spent to make sure the bottom end is reliable.

any input bud is appreciated.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like youre off to a great start! Good luck with your build, you should be happy with the results. My guess is traction will be your biggest challange (as will be for mine). In for results...
Old 05-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sick build, maybe a stickier tire than the generals
Old 05-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would highly suggest buying a differential. makes such a difference, car drives dead straight. helps eliminate the tourqe steer and puts the power down.

i never thought it would make That big of a differnce, how totally wrong i was. one of my best buys so far. (quaife)
Old 05-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SpoolinDa
i would highly suggest buying a differential. makes such a difference, car drives dead straight. helps eliminate the tourqe steer and puts the power down.

i never thought it would make That big of a differnce, how totally wrong i was. one of my best buys so far. (quaife)
thanks again buddie for your words of wisdom. ill most def look into that for the transmission.

does anyone have any input for the bottom end and getting it to rev that high safely (i.e. the 9k occasionally, and 10k when needed?)

up for bottom end experiences. and any help is appreciated!