Notices

new sleeved block....blue smoke at cold start

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new sleeved block....blue smoke at cold start

Is this normal? Just installed my new sleeved engine and been driving it 3 days now and its got 180miles on it.
However, I noticed there is a bit of blue smoke emitted at cold start and then it disappears totally. Is this associated with new forged pistons and sleeves not seated yet? Or could it be something else?

Please give me some ideas

Old 04-02-2003, 05:38 AM

Default Re: new sleeved block....blue smoke at cold start (TURBO-JET LUDE)

As the rings seat this is normal.. I hope you used a non-synthetic oil
Old 05-06-2003, 05:23 PM

Default Re: new sleeved block....blue smoke at cold start (Xscream)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xscream &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As the rings seat this is normal.. I hope you used a non-synthetic oil</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't understand why people really think that synthetic oil will hurt a motor that's breaking in........The engineers at Chevy think it's fine to break their Vette engines in with Mobile 1, so why do people think it's such a bad thing? Same viscosity, etc....

Nick
Old 05-06-2003, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new sleeved block....blue smoke at cold start (Nikolai)

I think alot of it depends on the rings and the finish on the bores. It will break in with synthetic, it just takes a long time.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:44 PM
New User

Default Re: new sleeved block....blue smoke at cold start (Nikolai)

As you said, "CHEVY".
People suggest use non-synthetic oil to breaking in, no one say it hurt.
it just take longer time..
Old 05-07-2003, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: new sleeved block....blue smoke at cold start (brainwo)

I highly suggest using a non-synthetic non-detergent motor oil for breakin. This lets the walls of the cylinders to get scraped free of lubrication easily to aid in seating the rings faster and more efficiently. The quicker you can seat the rings, the longer they will last and the more power they can keep sealed up in combustion. Just my own experience.....
Old 05-07-2003, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new sleeved block....blue smoke at cold start (GoldenEagleMfg.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GoldenEagleMfg.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I highly suggest using a non-synthetic non-detergent motor oil for breakin. This lets the walls of the cylinders to get scraped free of lubrication easily to aid in seating the rings faster and more efficiently. The quicker you can seat the rings, the longer they will last and the more power they can keep sealed up in combustion. Just my own experience.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree non deterginet oil best bet. I mean in todays engineerring of rings and honing process its pretty stout to seat rings iwthin 20mins
Old 05-07-2003, 09:56 AM

Default Re: new sleeved block....blue smoke at cold start (TURBO-JET LUDE)

After a 180 miles of driving, your rings(specifically the lower oil control ring) should be seated...If it hasn't seated by 180 miles and still is smoking, it probably will never seal...If the ring end gaps were all correct, the piston to wall spec correct and a proper hone job done(with the proper grit stone, depending on ring manufacturer, the grit can vary from 300-600, so check with the ring manufacturer), smoking should cease within only a few miles of driving and you should have no subsequent smoking. Did it get hot during break in at all? Also, sometimes, startup smoke can be from faulty valve seals, unlikely but something to consider.

Old 05-07-2003, 10:06 AM

Default Re: new sleeved block....blue smoke at cold start (Racergurlie)

One other fleeting thought, are you sure its smoke from oil being consumed? I dont know what you are running for fuel management, but many standalones have a fuel enrichment feature for startup and they taper the extra fuel down as it warms up. If it is running quite rich, it can also mimic the appearance of burning oil...just a thought...