Notices

New motor smoking issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor smoking issue

My built H22A4 is having smoking issues. Starting when cold a good amount of blue smoke, once the cat gets hot it lessens. Only have 300 on the motor now so rings still haven't seated yet but the smoking is too much. I did find that the PCV valve was bad think stuck open but haven't run the engine yet. Did a compression test readings (122,130,140,130) but didn't turn off the ecu so fuel was still spraying and didn't do WOT aswell. Anyone seen these numbers on a 9.0-1 compression. Seen a lot of readings for stock compression but not a turbo motor.
The engine runs very good (other then an exhaust leak) idle very smooth and power good considering its running stock ecu(turbo shot looking for a new one) and running 1 point of compression lower then stock.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New motor smoking issue

It's probably because your Turbo is shot Also make sure your return line is good!

1. You need to go WOT when doing a compression test. (If you want it to be accurate).
2. Your Engine needs to be up to operating temp(More so important w/ Forged Pistons)
3. It is recommended you disable your Fuel System. (You don't want Fuel in your Oil).

I'm sure the numbers would come up a bit if you do 1&2
Old 11-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Where does your pcv run to? If its to the charge pipe you're pressurizing the crankcase and that can force oil past rings as well as shove oil back up the return into the turbo or prevent the chra from draining, both of which will force oil past the turbine and compressor seals and kill a turbo.
Also since its a fresh build your oil pressure is no doubt sky high due to the tight clearances and the type of oil used for break in...

Ar you running a restrictor pre turbo on the feed line? If not exces oil pressure will also force oil past the seals in the chra causing a smoking issue
Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
Where does your pcv run to? If its to the charge pipe you're pressurizing the crankcase and that can force oil past rings as well as shove oil back up the return into the turbo or prevent the chra from draining, both of which will force oil past the turbine and compressor seals and kill a turbo.
So how do you recommend running a pcv? not stock location on the IM?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.laskeyracing.com/shop/breakin.htm
Old 11-14-2012, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Piston rings seat rather quickly and need to be done correctly. Does not take 300 miles to seat piston rings. i fear this was not done properly. you compression numbers are VERY low. Sounds to me like blowby and or turbo leaking oil. What kind of oil pressure are you seeing?
Are you running stock ecu with boost ?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats really low readings. Did you make sure too keep it WOT while cranking for the compression test?

You should be seeing around 175-185 on 9.0:1 compression. If you didnt have the throttle wide open you could see the numbers you are getting now

Also why would you crank the motor over when not disabling Fuel/ignition (fuel being more important here) youre flooding the cylinders and that could also effect compression readings and as stated above fuel in oil from blowby while cranking

The rings will have mostly seated well before 300 miles as well
Old 11-14-2012, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry I wasn't clear, I removed my turbo for that reason someone mentioned. Then
I installed the stock exhaust header (reason I have a leak) running stock ecu til motor broken in and new turbo when I can afford one. When I first built this motor I had an issue with one of the balance shaft bearings long story short, my crank was eaten new bearings installed machine shop line bored mains , rods in great shape new crank. Pistons and rings reinstalled. Motor does purr now. My fuckup I've kick myself ALOT but since then I think the motor is in great shape.

Just to mention this a golden eagle sleeved block

Last edited by Rob97'SH; 11-14-2012 at 05:48 AM. Reason: More information
Old 11-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
Where does your pcv run to? If its to the charge pipe you're pressurizing the crankcase ...
That didn't even dawn on me... Your gonna want to fix your breather setup IMMEDIATLY!!