Notices

New motor build. What needs to be done to get it ready?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor build. What needs to be done to get it ready?

I have a spare Z6 block that I'm putting forged pistons/rods into.

I recently ran into a problem with my current motor (z6, starting overheating BAD and I don't know why.)

What needs to be done to this other motor to get it ready?

I know I need to get a new oil pump, water pump, timing belt, timing belt tensioner, oil pan gasket, headgasket, & rod & main bearings. Other than that what other parts are needed aside from the pistons/rods to assemble the motor?

What machiene work do I need done?

I know I need to have the sleeves bored & honed, have the rotating assembly balanced, & have the head/block checked for warpage.

Do I need to have the crank micro-polished?

To have the rotating assembly balanced do I need to have the crank out of the block?

To have the block bored/honed do I need to have the crank out of the block?

Thank you ahead of time.

-Nick

PS- I'm doing the oil pump/water pump (IE: simple, non-precise things) & I'm having a shop take care of the rotating assembly & ring clearances.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what it sounds like all you need is a hone job, no balanging is needed, but as many will say, get a helms. you are going to need rings gapped to proper specs, bearing clearance etc.
rebuilding is easy if you have all the proper specs and know how. ie. manuals, tools, parts. skills.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:20 AM

Default Re: (rudebwoy)

I'm going to have a machiene shop assemble those parts. I figure for what it would cost me to buy the proper tools (I think they need to be used in a temp. controlled enviro. anyway) it would end up being cheaper to have a machiene shop do it.

I figure my Haynes & the other Y8 block I have will help me get the oil/water pump done.

So I don't need to have the rotating assembly balanced or micro-polish the crank?

I just want to make sure because my Rustang buddy just lost a $4k motor because the guy that put it together didn't balance everything.

Thanks for the help.

-Nick
Old 06-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

micro polishing the crank is necessary, but I bult 2 blocks without doing it, with no problem
Old 06-15-2006, 10:26 AM

Default Re: (rudebwoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rudebwoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">micro polishing the crank is necessary, but I bult 2 blocks without doing it, with no problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

If that's the case then I'm going to have it done.

I think earl has something worked out with benson where it's 150 for balance/micropolish. I don't remember, I'll have to look it up again.