Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   New motor build strange problem. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/new-motor-build-strange-problem-1105629/)

drvfast 01-05-2005 06:26 PM

New motor build strange problem.

Just finished my motor build with pistons and rods. Here are the specs, stock sleeve b16 bored to 81.5mm srp 9:1 pistons, Rm rods. I broke in the motor with non detergent oil. I am currently running 10-40w regular motor oil. The problem is that white smoke is coming out of the catch can breather. Its is a moroso style catch can packed with steel wool to reduce the oil vapor. That did not help. I then did a compression test, and the results were 210 210 210 210. The motor has 800 miles on it now and the rings should have seated already. There no smoke out of the exhaust only from the catch can. What is causing the problem? Blow-by I am assuming. I hope I don't have to re-ring the piston rings. Thanks

2SLO 01-05-2005 07:52 PM

Re: New motor build strange problem. (drvfast)

that sucks. sorry i dont have an answer for you.

drvfast 01-05-2005 08:01 PM

bump

b00sted93Hatch 01-05-2005 08:11 PM

Numbers look good for a low comp b16. How do you have your catch can hooked up?

m R g S r 01-05-2005 08:18 PM

Did you put the motor together yourself?
How did you arrange the rings on the pistons? Were all the end gaps of the rings right? The ends of the rings weren't all lined up, were they?

Kwuaymaikrup 01-05-2005 08:21 PM

Does the smoke go away after it warms up? Mine smokes a wee bit on start up but after it is warm or revved a bit it goes away.

drvfast 01-06-2005 03:31 AM

Re: New motor build strange problem. (b00sted93Hatch)

I used a compression fitting to cap of the hole on the block. I have a hole drilled in the valve cover with a 5/8 hose that runs straight to the catch can.

drvfast 01-06-2005 03:32 AM

Re: New motor build strange problem. (m R g S r)

No a good freind of mines, who have been building honda motors for years. He is also wondering what is going wrong.

drvfast 01-06-2005 03:34 AM

Re: New motor build strange problem. (Kwuaymaikrup)

No it doesn't go away. It always does it from the catch can filter but not from the exhaust.

dasher 01-06-2005 04:38 AM

smoke coming out of the catchcan should be normal on an open breather system.. do a leakdown test.

drvfast 01-06-2005 08:57 AM

Re: New motor build strange problem. (dasher)

Yea thats what I am going to do. But if smoke from an open catch can is normal, why didn't smoke when I had my stock bottom end in? I guess because stock rings seal better than after market.

dasher 01-06-2005 12:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drvfast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea thats what I am going to do. But if smoke from an open catch can is normal, why didn't smoke when I had my stock bottom end in? I guess because stock rings seal better than after market.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some things to consider:

1) Forced induction has more blow-by rather then Naturally aspirated
2) Low silicon forged pistons vs stock high silicon pistons--- with low silicone forged pistons one has a much greater piston to wall tolerances so when warming your engine up you will get more blow-by.
3) You may have gaped the rings to much or piston to wall might be to much -- a leak down test will tell you this.

drvfast 01-06-2005 06:37 PM

Re: New motor build strange problem. (dasher)

I meant stock bottom end with the turbo on the car. I was running 10psi and it did not smoke from the catch can. I have to get the leakdown test done to find out whats really happening.