Notices

NEW JOB FOR ME (turbo related)!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 08:23 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW JOB FOR ME (turbo related)!!

Well for any who noticed that I lost my job in December, it's finally paying off!!

I don't know who's heard of Turbodyne; it's a company that works with high power electric motors to create electric-assist turbochargers to eliminate lag while the turbo spins up. Anyway, they're going through some restructuring and I landed a job there! My title is going to be "applications engineer" and my first job will be fitting one of their devices onto my car! Next job may involve working with a company that does centrifugal superchargers for BMWs! Hehe... think "Vortech SC with at least 5 psi available within a couple thousandths of a second after you punch it at any RPM" and then think of that on a 500 bhp M3 or roadster.

Anyway, I will be THE person who researches and tests applications of their turbo technology on various vehicle platforms. The company has a full machine shop, makes their own turbo wheels, housings, custom bearing sections, etc. and I will have at my PERSONAL disposal a chassis dyno and two engine dynos among other fun toys, and will be involved in fuel management, tuning, custom parts design, etc. I will also be communicating with R&D at several automakers around the world to promote future applications.

For this I will be payed 25% MORE than my old job that I lost (doing lame-*** heating and air conditioning design!!!) and will recieve a tidy stock option package. And did I mention that I'm just going to be playing with cars and turbos all day?

I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED as my projects develop. This is NOT another "E-RAM" electric supercharger; these things turn a compressor the size of a T04E or LARGER and the big ones (1000 AMP starting current!) are already in service on many city buses and diesel engines and will soon be showing up on a passenger car near you. No longer will OEMs be forced to run sadly undersized turbos which eliminate lag at the cost of maximum power. This is going to be FUN. Stay tuned!

Old 01-16-2002, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEW JOB FOR ME (turbo related)!! (dbman96)

Sounds like a dream job to me! Good luck with it.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:34 PM
Better than steak

Cool, I hope you enjoy it.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:35 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

you, my friend, are one lucky SOB.

please keep us posted!
Old 01-16-2002, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good job! literally!
Old 01-16-2002, 10:18 PM
New User

congratulations you bastard. I have a dyno, but I don't have what you have. And I'm sure you will make more than me. good work, literally
Old 01-16-2002, 10:59 PM
New User

Congratulations! I like their webpage... "for the air you breathe" yeah... we all know everyone there is a horsepower junkie.

How'd you land this sweet job?
Old 01-17-2002, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say I hate you and you suck.. but you were out of a job prior to this, so congratulations....... bastard
Old 01-17-2002, 07:47 AM
New User

Default Re: NEW JOB FOR ME (mercury)

Congratulations! I like their webpage... "for the air you breathe" yeah... we all know everyone there is a horsepower junkie.

How'd you land this sweet job?
Hehe... yeah the owner/founder of the company used to drive Rally cars when he was in school in England in the late 60s. The fuel economy / emissions business sells parts though.

And the ONLY reason I landed this job was persistence. I wanted to work there so I just walked into the office, gave the admin my background, dropped off a resume, and followed up with a lot of phone calls until one day the manager calls me back and asks me to come visit... it wasn't even a freaking INTERVIEW... we talked cars, toured the facility, and he made me an offer. Great deal. I think I'm going to start on Monday.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement... I thought this was just way too cool not to share it with you guys!
Old 01-17-2002, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEW JOB FOR ME (dbman96)

Did you tell him about the infamous dbman patented AFC/boost trick That'll sell ya everytime
Old 01-17-2002, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEW JOB FOR ME (VTC_CiViC)

YES, now we can get hooked up on electronically assisted turbochargers
Old 01-17-2002, 09:35 AM
New User

Default Re: NEW JOB FOR ME (Slow_ass_4dr)

You know, if this project on the BMW superchargers goes over well I will seriously push them toward the import market. I don't think they realize the sales potential the aftermarket has. Unfortunately their larger units are very expensive... something like $8000 per unit for the ones that go on city buses, but I think downsized they could be much more affordable. I think a lot of the cost comes from the fact that these things are basically entirely hand-built, they custom tool just about every single part at this point. We'll have to see how this all comes together. One way or another I think I'm going to talk them into buying a standalone engine managment system for my car if I'm going to do this right.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEW JOB FOR ME (dbman96)

LOL

I'm still trying to figure a way to con my boss into paying for a standalone for me, but I'm having a hard time relating a standalone fuel system to the mortgage business
Old 01-17-2002, 11:00 AM
New User

Default Re: NEW JOB FOR ME (VTC_CiViC)

LMAO!!!

One of the things they asked me is if I know anything about fuel management for turbo applications so I think a standalone might be a wise investment (if not for my car alone, maybe for other vehicles we're testing). I still haven't found out if they have a wide-band O2 for the dyno but it looked like they did. If not, they will soon.

Old 01-17-2002, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEW JOB FOR ME (VaporTrail)

congratulations you bastard. I have a dyno, but I don't have what you have. And I'm sure you will make more than me. good work, literally
congrats man!! There are still so many qualified people unemployed, and you've got an awesome job!! Sweet.

-C