Notices

New Honda B-series oil pan design

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Honda B-series oil pan design

Hi guys, we here at Laskey Racing have been working with a company in a new design for the B-series oil pan. The question gets asked a lot on what oil pan to run. We have seen lots of issues with such aftermarket companies like Moroso, so the answer has always been stock. So we got approached by a company who only makes oil pans and wanted to add the import line. I just wanted to post A few pictures of the first one that was produced to get some feedback. This will be run on a 700+hp SFWD race car for testing. It will be made from steel for the durability issues and will be much easier to repair as well. It has a oil drain and hole for a oil temperature sensor in the back. The front has a hole (notice on the top part of the kick-out) for a oil return line for the turbo. The inside on the production pieces will also be zinc plated on the inside of the pan. We might also cut the front corners as well to give clearance for you guys with crx B series swaps. It will come with its own oil pick as well and price will be lower then the Moroso piece. It will fit any B series so once you buy it, it can be used with the entire line up. It also have a trap door if you can't see it from the pictures. It should hold about 6 quarts of oil. So what does everyone think?

Old 03-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Honda B-series oil pan design (ninesecrx)

Innovation and new Ideas always get

Price?

Phil
Old 03-13-2006, 06:09 PM

looks nice, what is the advantage of having the ripple stamp on the bottom of the pan?
Old 03-13-2006, 06:15 PM

What kinda issues are there with moroso oil pans? Just wondering since I'm going to use one. thanks
Old 03-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Honda B-series oil pan design (all go teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by all go teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks nice, what is the advantage of having the ripple stamp on the bottom of the pan?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It adds a lot of strength and is supposed to help stop aeration.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:16 PM

I don't understand the benefits of this.. It looks like a stock pan with a huge box extruding from it. Why is this better than the stock pan?
Old 03-13-2006, 06:19 PM

Could you explain the issues with the moroso, and also the reason why this one would be beneficial over a stock pan (other than the added volume).

It looks very well made and a nice piece, I've just never heard of any issues that would cause the need.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18 CYA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18 CYA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What kinda issues are there with moroso oil pans? Just wondering since I'm going to use one. thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

We have had lots of complaints of big oil pressure drops under acceleration and hard turns. The pan also tends to leak because of the flange. With this oil pan it uses a stock type flange so it wont leak and works a lot better with factory pan gaskets.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Honda B-series oil pan design (ccivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ccivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't understand the benefits of this.. It looks like a stock pan with a huge box extruding from it. Why is this better than the stock pan?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It sorta is based of what Honda did right on their pans and then adds on. It holds more oil, has a baffle and trap door to keep oil at the pickup. It also has bungs already welded in for guys that dont want to modify their stock ones.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (ninesecrx)

The new Moroso pans are a lot better, they use a stock-type flange and have a better baffle system (at least the road racing pan does). They're a whole lot cheaper than the old aluminum pans too. I like mine, and I don't lose oil pressure under acceleration or hard turns.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:43 PM

i'd be very interested in one in the future!
Old 03-13-2006, 06:54 PM
D-t
Trial User

Default Re: (KPL.EM1)

How strong do you think that thing is?

Besides the extra oil, Is it strong enough, just in case you were to hit something, or bottoming out?

Seen some peoples motors go out like this.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (D-t)

It doesn't look any lower than a stock pan.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (KPL.EM1)

One nice thing about the design is that it works on gsr, b16, ls and B20 blocks. We also liked how the turbo drain is on top rather than on the side. Also, with a 6 quart capacity, there is no chance of running out of oil on those high speed 5th gear freeway runs
The trap door is designed to hold oil at the pick-up under acceleration and deceleration.
We value your suggestions and/or criticism on this project. It is just a prototype at this time and we would like to make a perfect pan for everyone. Don't ask pricing but it will be reasonable if we take it to market. Anything else you guys would like to see in this pan?
Old 03-13-2006, 07:14 PM

Default Re: (earl)

Just looks a little scary.. I'd be afraid of clearance issues, or if I hit something in the road that it would rip my entire oil pan off (get caught on one of those huge extruding edges) rather than just dent it.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Tony1 owns me!

Default Re: (ccivic)

so is it a modded stock pan or a new piece. the pics look to be a modded stock pan. and as far as the moroso pans go, i have used one for aalmost 4 years now with now issues on my daily and i have autocrossed and road raced and just beat the **** out of my car with no issues at all. i have heard that they have improved the design for the people who had sealing issues.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Earl my only question is ease of installation and removal. I currently run the Moroso pan and the rear bolts holding it on are more than a bit of a pain to get out and in. With this one haveing a protrusion on both the front and the rear and the one on the front having little to no clearance, what is removal going to be like when you are in a hurry, changing out a burnt piston or something like that.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like a pretty good design. to the 6 quart capacity.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:00 PM

is that a stock pan with a area cut out of it and a box added to it?
Old 03-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would like to see the oil return moved over more to the left of the pan. it looks like its in the same position as the moroso just ontop. this was 2 far for my car.. A DA
Old 03-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like a stock b series oil pan with a kittie litter box welded to it(no offence)...... Cheaper isnt always better,It has to be cosmeticly pleaseing to the customer as well as functional..... Im not feeling the oil pan,But keep working on it....
Old 03-13-2006, 09:29 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: New Honda B-series oil pan design (boostnhoe)

id be down for one... whats the price looking like for these?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jay_Sensing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay_Sensing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Earl my only question is ease of installation and removal. I currently run the Moroso pan and the rear bolts holding it on are more than a bit of a pain to get out and in. With this one haveing a protrusion on both the front and the rear and the one on the front having little to no clearance, what is removal going to be like when you are in a hurry, changing out a burnt piston or something like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I installed this oil pan and it went on very easy. You can use all the stock bolts. You can use a ratchet on most of the bolts and a regular wrench with ease on the bolts under the kick-out. With a ratching wrench it might take an extra minute at most vs. a stock pan. Like I was saying this is the first one made at this point so there are bound to be a few changes. This is the reason for the post, its to get insight on what you guys feel would make this pan better for your needs.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostnhoe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks like a stock b series oil pan with a kittie litter box welded to it(no offence)...... Cheaper isnt always better,It has to be cosmeticly pleaseing to the customer as well as functional..... Im not feeling the oil pan,But keep working on it....</TD></TR></TABLE>

The first one built was made from a stock oil pan. When they go into full production they will be stamped out and not made from a Honda pan.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ninesecrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ninesecrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The first one built was made from a stock oil pan. When they go into full production they will be stamped out and not made from a Honda pan. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What is the price range? I like that they are universal among B series enigines..... I would love to see the finsihed product.....
Old 03-14-2006, 12:14 AM

Default Re: (boostnhoe)

B18C5 here - looks good mike, you might have to hook me up with one of these come August.

Quick Reply: New Honda B-series oil pan design