Notices

New Fuel pressure regulator design: looking for feedback

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Fuel pressure regulator design: looking for feedback

This is not a commercial solicitation to sell product, just feedback on design.
It will bolt straight onto the rail on the return units, and we're also working on a returnless model as well. I'd appreciate some feedback?

*Direct Bolt-On to the factory of aftermarket fuel rail with no additional fuel connections
*Piston-based actuator without a diaphragm to fail
*Will support over 1000+ HP
*Interchangeable bypass orifices to accomodate upgraded higher flow fuel pumps
*Adjustable static fuel pressure via a turn screw
*Chamber dedicated to 1:1 ratio
*Boost-only chamber for a total of 12:1 ratio
*Infinitely adjustable rising rate ratio from 1:1 to 12:1
*Retain fuel pressure in rail, so that you don't have to prime the fuel pump on the next startup

From an application perspective, here are some things you can do:

*Turbo/Supercharged, will raise the fuel pressure enough for up to 10 psi of boost
*Will allow you to trim back larger injectors and still add fuel as a ratio of boost
*NA- Can be used to accomodate a larger fuel pump or larger injectors
*NA- Can be used to simply fine tune the air/fuel ratio
*Nitrous- rigorous enough to sustain direct injection of Nitrous to richen mixtures under nitrous conditions
*Standalone Fuel Injection- Can be used a 1:1 ratio regulator to fine tune your EMS, or use some ratio (ie 2:1) to increase fuel atomization or extend the capability of your injector size.

Installation on an S2000 to show scale of size

Old 07-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks pretty sharp. Seems like these are going to be rather expensive with how much work you're putting in.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blundar)

I think you should have - an fittings on there.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: (MidShipCivic)

Thanks guys,

1) Not going to be very expensive, in fact less than what AEM retails their units for

2) AN fittings won't make for a direct bolt onto stock components. Won't be good for integration for kit manufacturers. However, AN adapter options will be available soon.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How much adjustability will there be on the boost side?

Reason I ask - a lot of kids around here do the DSM450cc + Walbro pump combination. The walbro pump is perfectly capable of pushing 80-90psi fuel pressure. Having maybe a ... 2:1 regulator (instead of a 12:1) would mean 75psi net fuel pressure at 15psi boost with a 45psi base fuel pressure. (45psi + 2*15psi = 45psi + 30psi = 75psi) Fuel pressure isn't excessive, fuel delivery greatly increased... Looks like it might work out really well for those with DSM 450s that wanna hit 350whp.

In any case, I'd be very interested to see the final product!
Old 07-21-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Re: (blundar)

Perfect scenario, here's what they do with the Synchronic regulator:

1) Change the bypass diameter orifice to 2.5-3.0 mm so that they can drop the fuel pressure below 25 psi at idle. This will compensate for the Walbro's flow at idle and lower boost levels

2) drop the idle fuel pressure well below stock to compensate for the larger injectors at idle so that they don't run rich

3) Adjust the pneumatic ratio adjustment to change the rising rate ratio to 2:1, 3:1, 2.5:1, 2.75:1. The ratio is infinitely adjustable from 1:1 to 12:1.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Synapse)

Here in Brazil they already have them (another manufactor). They have the universal one and everyone uses them due to the fact that you can adjust the rising ratio. Another reason is the price they sell them (it's too low to say it here) I personally liked them. The bolt-on idead is adds a nice touch to it. Good luck

Adriano
Old 07-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Synapse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks guys,

1) Not going to be very expensive, in fact less than what AEM retails their units for

2) AN fittings won't make for a direct bolt onto stock components. Won't be good for integration for kit manufacturers. However, AN adapter options will be available soon. </TD></TR></TABLE>

-10 will be nice.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Kinda looks like the Begi fuel pressure regulators.

http://www.bellengineering.net/
Old 07-21-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: (SpdFrk)

Sorta looks like the BEGI, I guess, except their unit is 5 times the size of Synchronic and there's no way it can bolt straight onto the rail without requiring additional connections.

Here's the big difference, every regulator out there, including every OEM unit uses a diaphragm. Synchronic is the first FPR that uses absolutely no diaphragms, it is piston based and can take overpressure in excess of 800 psi. And because it has no diaphragm, it responds so quickly to boost, boost transition from vacuum and any other changes in intake manifold pressure.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as I said, keep me informed when they become available, especially if price is as low/lower than AEM
Old 07-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Synapse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorta looks like the BEGI, I guess, except their unit is 5 times the size of Synchronic and there's no way it can bolt straight onto the rail without requiring additional connections.

Here's the big difference, every regulator out there, including every OEM unit uses a diaphragm. Synchronic is the first FPR that uses absolutely no diaphragms, it is piston based and can take overpressure in excess of 800 psi. And because it has no diaphragm, it responds so quickly to boost, boost transition from vacuum and any other changes in intake manifold pressure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But why make it for OEM fuel rails? Some of us use aftermarket with fittings to have electronic pressure senders etc on them.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:52 PM

Synchronic unit will also bolt straight onto aftermarket fuel rails. Big difference is that you don't have to mount it on the firewall and will support way more HP than most cars can make. So basically, less fuel connections to leak or fail and result in a carBQ.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Synapse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Synchronic unit will also bolt straight onto aftermarket fuel rails. Big difference is that you don't have to mount it on the firewall and will support way more HP than most cars can make. So basically, less fuel connections to leak or fail and result in a carBQ.</TD></TR></TABLE>

to synapse for coming out and asking the crowd. I'm looking forward to getting one. Did I miss this anywhere but when is this going to come out?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:56 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

kinda bulky looking, i like the aeromotive looks..
Old 07-22-2005, 07:08 AM

Default Re: (menkio)

MidShip- Development has been very long, over a year in fact, but product will drop in about 30 days.

Menkio- Thanks for the feedback, you really have to find the product that suits you best. If you don't plan on going turbo/supercharged/NOS, or need fine tuning due to high all motor power, that unit should do you just fine. Synchronic is identical in general function to the FMUs out there, so basically we shrunk the FMU and brought in new technology to boot. Again, the Aeromotive unit still uses a diaphragm. Performance versus function.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:41 AM

You mentioned a returnless version. How would that work? You would install it in the fuel tank?
Old 07-22-2005, 07:52 AM

Default Re: (beepy)

Were still doing some R&D, but no it doesn't install in the fuel tank. It will bolt straight onto the rail. The approach is known as a demand regulator, it is what GM and others are using right now. Big difference is that we have a way of employing the Synchronic patented technology to have it be responsive to boost and vacuum.

Basically the approach is somewhat counter to the return regulator approach. You run a bigger fuel pump that runs more pressure than stock. The demand regulator governs how much of that fuel and pressure gets to the rail and injectors. So there is a maximum fuel pressure always running, the regulator just says how much of that maximum you can have given boost and vacuum. It isn't as easy as a return system, but you can really use this with bigger injectors and/or bigger pump.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:31 PM

Bump- for more opinions
Old 07-25-2005, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks great. I hope you guys the best. I seriously doubt I will ever need to buy one though.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:06 AM

Default Re: (michaelOlson)

Do you guys think that alot of people out there are upgrading their fuel pumps?
Old 07-25-2005, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

everyone who boosts their car upgrades their fuel pump.

I have two walbro fuel pumps
Old 07-25-2005, 07:31 AM

Default Re: (RTErnie Motorsports)

do you have two in the tank? Or two in serial, compounded? Do you run rich at idle?
Old 07-25-2005, 07:49 AM

Default Re: (RTErnie Motorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTErnie Motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">everyone who boosts their car upgrades their fuel pump.

I have two walbro fuel pumps </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL. Not everybody. I am at 8 PSI with stock fuel system (larger injectors, though, and I have reached the limit of the fuel delivery)
Old 07-25-2005, 08:27 AM

Default Re: (beepy)

beepy- Are you running rich at idle, or did you already fix that with an adjustable FPR?

When you put that pump in there it'll probably run very rich at idle then if you don't already have an FPR.

Quick Reply: New Fuel pressure regulator design: looking for feedback