Notices

New to the forum...and have a turbo question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum...and have a turbo question.

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hi. I live in Frankfurt, Germany and turbo's over here are nowhere near as common as they are in the States.

I am planning on doing a project car and need some advice. I have a 1991 civic that I want to turbo. The base engine is 110HP. I want to buy the 150HP VTEC engine and put a turbo on that, and a Porsche brake kit so I can stop the car . Is this feasible? I want to get at least 250HP out of the car and the only Integra we have over here is the TypeR, so an LS engine is out of the question.

How much psi can I run on the engine, or better yet, how much would I need to run to get 100hp extra? What do I need to do to the engine to be able to drive this car daily?

Any help is welcome, and thank you in advance!!

Faust
Old 03-21-2002, 06:12 AM

Default Re: New to the forum...and have a turbo question. (Faust)

Thanks for the quick reply. The engine that I am talking about is the model 89-91 civic vtec engine. It was a 1.6 liter 150hp engine.

My problem is that the guys that do turbos over here dont really have much experience with honda engines. If you could give me some tips on what needs to be done to the engine, or things to watch out for with the turbo install, I would really appreciate it. If you could also point me to a web page where these things are explained that would be great as well.

I want to learn all I can before I even start to avoid all possible problems.

Thanks again!!
Old 03-21-2002, 12:45 PM
New User

the motor hes talking about is the 1st gen B16. its actually rated at 160 hp. with that motor you should be able to break 250whp with just a bolt on turbo kit like drag,revhard,fmax.
Old 03-21-2002, 01:21 PM

a Porsche brake kit
wtf?
Old 03-21-2002, 02:30 PM

Default Re: New to the forum...and have a turbo question. (01geeser)

the motor hes talking about is the 1st gen B16. its actually rated at 160 hp. with that motor you should be able to break 250whp with just a bolt on turbo kit like drag,revhard,fmax.

With a bolt on kit, do I just mail order it and then have it installed? Are there any parts that need to be ordered separately, or is everything that I need included or any suggested upgrades?

I assume that since you didn't mention it, the motor doesn't need to be built up to accept the extra power...or is that a wrong assumption?

Freakn8: The way I see it is, putting 100hp more onto a car with the original brake system isn't such a wise decision. I need to upgrade stopping power to adjust. Don't forget that we have the autobahn over here and when you're driving 150mph+, you need to know that your brakes are going to stop you in time!
Old 03-21-2002, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm....standalone engine management. Bigger injectors, drag 3 or custom kit, 3" exhuast(don't know the metric conversion ), 3" DP, high flow cat, walbro fuel pump, clutchnet stage 2 or clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, egt guage, boost guage...etc. Depending on how reliable you want your car to be, this list can change greatly.

I do know the 1st gen b16 cams SUCK! Not sure if they make a big difference when your engine is turboed, but I think I remember one guy saying they had a large negative impact. So, you may want to get some gen 2 cams.

On a stock b16, I don't think I would exceed 10psi.....6-8 daily. Unless you can get higher then 93 octane over in germany. Even then, the internals may not be able to take the extra power all that long.

[edit]Does porshe make brake kits for hondas over in germany???[/edit]

[Modified by HXMan, 6:18 PM 3/21/2002]
Old 03-21-2002, 03:34 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: New to the forum...and have a turbo question. (HXMan)

Brembo's from a Porsche(or just about any other car) can be installed on a Honda with an adapter.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:57 PM
Trial User

Just make sure you get a standalone.... and tune it properly. 150+ on the autobahn with an untuned turbocharged honda will surely go BOOOOM.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Faust, you shouldnt have too hard a time reaching your goal.

note to everyone: The B16a over there DID only have 150hp.

The easiest thing to do, is purchase or import a decent turbo kit. You should be able to pull 250hp from a stock B16a without problems. The only thing your going to DEFINATLY want to invest in, is fuel management like was said already. The rising rate regulators and such that most kits come with are not realy the ideal setup. Larger injectors and a Hondata or Zdyne setup is the way to go. All depends on how much money you have to invest.

This is a VERY good read: http://www.zdyne.com/forcedfactory.html
Old 03-21-2002, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to the forum...and have a turbo question. (Dee)

If i knew about this when i was working at porsche i could have gotten them free for anyone. We just chuck the old rotors in the bin. I am gonna go back and get some then But those things are massive. Can i put them on my LS integra?
where do i find this adaptor?
Old 03-21-2002, 07:27 PM

Default Re: New to the forum...and have a turbo question. (RioNinja)

HXMan: Can you explain what standalone engine management means please? Bigger injectors (fuel injectors I assume) how much bigger? What company is the drag 3 from? Do they have a webpage? 3" exhaust is about 7cm. DP= downpipe. I have heard this term, but am not quite sure what a down pipe is. I want the car to be really reliable. Due to the fact that I will be taking about 3 years for the car to be done, money is not really a problem. As long as I know what I need, I can plan to buy it.

Should I get the cams even if I am going turbo? Wouldn't that be an extra stress for the motor? Is there also a webpage for the gen 2 cams?

I only want to run enough psi (bar) to get 100whp more. I dont know how much psi that would be. We can actually get 99 octane here, but only at Shell gas stations. Others have 98 octane which is almost as good. What internals are you referring to? Valves, springs, etc..? What would you recommend as upgrades?

Porsche does NOT make brake kits for Honda. A friend of mine has a Prelude and has a Porsche brake kit installed...that's how I know it is possible.

RioNinja: "note to everyone: The B16a over there DID only have 150hp."

This is correct. We didn't get the 160hp until 92 if I recall correctly.

As for importing a "decent" turbo kit, I have no idea what decent is. I don't want to save $500 and have a bad kit. I would rather spend the $500 and have a great kit if you know what I mean. I will have at least $4000 to spend on turbo things. Is this enough or should I plan more? BTW: I read the article and must admit that I didn't really get everything that was discussed. The part about the fuel getting pumped in as quick as possible I got, and I will probably understand the other things as time goes on, but I have bookmarked the page.

Thanks you guys!!! :D
Old 03-21-2002, 08:31 PM

Default Re: New to the forum...and have a turbo question. (94hondahybrid)

Thanks for the compliment...and of course for the web pages. I went to the one for the Drag3 kits and they don't seem to have a drag3 for 89-91 civic si. The only one they offer that I saw is the drag2. Is this one also acceptable?

Thank you.

EDIT: If a good turbo only costs $3000, then i have one less worry. I just need to ship it over here. hehe

[Modified by Faust, 5:32 AM 3/22/2002]
Old 03-22-2002, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are looking at this as a 3 year project, don't even get a kit. Build a kit yourself. Drag turbo manifolds suck, I would go with something like a revhard manifold, or a custom manifold.

I bought a kit for my car(drag 3), and much of it is getting replaced right away. I want my car to be reliable as well. I think my goal is going to be 230whp stock bottom end, with 93 octane gas. Hondata 3b as well.

If you want to see a DP, search, dustin had plenty of pics of his beautiful DP. It will give you an idea how one should look.

I see you can read and write english very well, so I would suggest getting a book. "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. It has almost all the information you will need in general. All you need to do is figure out the exact parts you need.

Oh, and for a truly RELIABLE turbo setup, I bet it will cost you between $5-6000. This includes some sort of a standalone ECU, but no internal work.

Tuning is probably the most important thing. You can have a great setup, not get it tuned, or get it tuned bad, and it can still blow up.

What kind of emission laws do you have to deal with in germany?
Old 03-24-2002, 12:00 AM

Default Re: New to the forum...and have a turbo question. (HXMan)

Emission laws are fairly strict over here. I don't think they are as bad as California is supposed to be.

Thanks for the info. I don't feel confident enough right now to do my own turbo, but I will get the book that you recommended. It certainly can't hurt.