Notices

New to the FI scene, few questions on future build, looking for 500+

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to the FI scene, few questions on future build, looking for 500+

Hey guys, I'm new to the FI section over here. I've been a diehard N/A guy but it's time to broaden my horizons. A little background on my old setup which I'll still be using some parts from was a 85x89 Dart block, Eagle LW crank, RLZ B16 head (AMAZING!), TWM ITB's yada yada yada...

I'm looking to build the longblock and get it all broken in before I go to build the turbo setup, but I've been looking to use a GT4088R turbo with a split scroll manifold. I'm going to do more research and look into this more and more as I go. I need to get the bottom end and head squared away first.

I'm going to be retaining the Dart block from my old setup. It's already at 85mm, but the piston to wall was at N/A specs so I SHOULD be able to keep the 85mm with some light boring/honing.

The Eagle LW crank I was using seems to have been giving me the fits, when I pulled it out the thrust bearing were chewed up on the flywheel side. When I assembled the engine my bearing clearnaces were all identical, end play was within spec and run out was perfect but that's a whole nother story here. Now the question is should I keep the Eagle or should I go with an OEM Honda crank. My tuner (blundar on here) and I were talking tonight about a possible long rod engine, B16 crank with the Dart block, a 1.9L. Basically a high rev long powerband setup. How would this run compared to a GSR or LS crank setup? Just something we talked about.

Another thing is piston design. We talked about a custom piston that would retain an OEM style ring. Since Honda has no OEM 85mm bore, I found out Mitsubishi 4G63 does. Would it be worth getting a custom piston made to use OEM rings rather than the other stuff out there which I have heard is not as great of quality as OEM? Would this be something to look into or jsut a waste? My goal for the build is to be able to do a 500whp pump gas build, mind you we have 93 pump here. What compression would be the best to go with? We will also do a tune on race gas to up the boost.

Finally is the head work and components. I had the head done at RLZ. It flowed awesome, I still have the sheets for it. It has 1mm oversized intake valves, all Ferrea internals with 75lb seat pressure springs. Would it be alright to run this head again? I've been studying cam choices as well debating on ITR/CTR or a bigger cam and dialing out overlap such as a Blox B type cam.

I know these are a lot of questions that some of you may think to be dumb, but like I said I'm still earnign more and more here and it's best to ask. I read as much as I can every day. My fuel setup is plenty good enough, using Aeromotive A1000 pump, -10 feed line, it's good to go. Thanks in advance and any pointers/sites to check out would be!
Old 01-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump
Old 01-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the stuff is already taken care of...