Notices

New engine... won't start now. Will pay if someone tells me whats wrong. NO JOKE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine... won't start now. Will pay if someone tells me whats wrong. NO JOKE!

Well I burnt a valve bought a month ago on the way to a honda-tech meet. I start putting another LS motor in my car saturday and finished last night. The car started up and seemed to run ok. I drove it very little sorta easing into. It is turbo. I have a new wastegate spring also and I did forget to reset the boost controller. So when I got on it one time... it seem to what I think was detonation or something. then the car cut off.
Now all it will do is turn over. It gets spark. It has fuel. New cap and rotor, new coil. NO CEL!

WHATS THE problem.

If you guess it right I will paypal you $10. NO JOKE. I am desperate to get my car running. And I figure maybe I will get some more responses if I offer $10.

Thank ahead of time

Old 09-01-2004, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New engine... won't start now. Will pay if someone tells me whats wrong. NO JOKE! (J-Brooks)

1) are you sure the timing belt didn't lose tension and skip a few teeth?
2) also, do you have a 3 bar map?
3) What boost did you hit?

good luck and check your plugs (what do they look like?)
Old 09-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New engine... won't start now. Will pay if someone tells me whats wrong. NO JOKE! (markaria)

1) No I dunno if it skipped a few teeth but I was told if it did that it wouldn't spark so I ruled that out and didn't even check.

2) I do not have a 3 Bar Map

3) The highest boost my boost controller said I hit was 18.6 lbs, but I dunno if that was with this motor or my old motor cause like I said I didn't reset it. and it spike quite a few times when it was set up on my other motor.

My plugs have a little blackness on them.

Maybe a dumb questiong but how can you tell if it skipped some teeth?
Old 09-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New engine... won't start now. Will pay if someone tells me whats wrong. NO JOKE! (J-Brooks)

Try a valve adjustment.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New engine... won't start now. Will pay if someone tells me whats wrong. NO JOKE! (JMinSi2000)

So that would cause the engine not to start???? when it ran like 15 minutes before it wouldn't?
Old 09-01-2004, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do your plugs look melted or deformed? Sure the electrode is still entacted and all?

Look at the ceramic part of the plug (normally white when new) and see if there are any shinny looking metal specs indicating detonation.

The very next thing you need to do is check your compression.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:45 PM

Engine operation requires three things:

1) fuel
2) fire
3) compression

You've checked the first two... barring some wierd loose ground issue you have a compression problem. (hint hint, jumped timing effects your compression)

Old 09-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New engine... won't start now. Will pay if someone tells me whats wrong. NO JOKE! (stizzit)

Plugs look fine. Not melted, not deformed. ceramic part is just a little black. Now metal pieces, that I noticed I'll check again.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm... probably have to check compression tomorrrow.

But I was told if it jumps time then it wouldn't spark? Was this an incorrect statement

Modified by J-Brooks at 12:17 AM 9/2/2004
Old 09-01-2004, 07:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J-Brooks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm... probably have to check compression tomorrrow.

But I was told if it jumps time then it would spark? Was this an incorrect statement</TD></TR></TABLE>yes, it will spark but not at the right time so it will not ignigte the fuel, i'd say try checking your timing belt goold luck, i hope i dont run into problems like this when i go to put my new motor in
edit: wait is would or wouldn't? in your previous it says wouldn't, i'm guessing same here?
Old 09-01-2004, 07:15 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New engine... won't start now. Will pay if someone tells me whats wrong. NO JOKE! (Sideout)

compression test buddy
Old 09-01-2004, 07:18 PM

Compression check and check your timing, with the distributor, it could be off a tooth when you put it in?
Old 09-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your set at 18 lbs u prolly fucked your motor up.

pull your valve cover off u can look at your timing belt then, and u can see if their are peices of metal in your head. also try new plugs u could have fauled the out.

also drain your oil and see if their are metal peices in it.

compression test would check it aswell.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New engine... won't start now. Will pay if someone tells me whats wrong. NO JOKE! (bmcc72)

compression is #1 - 130, #2 - 165, #3 - 160, #4 - 160. Could it still have jumped time?

If I have spark how woudl the spark plugs be fouled out?

By the way I ran 12 daily and have run 14. ANd I have hit 18 before on another motor (Still a stock LS)

Sorry if any of these are dumb questions, just trying to learn some of thte things I don't and probably shoudl already know
Old 09-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow 130 on #1...

check your timing to make sure it didn't skip a few notches
Old 09-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New engine... won't start now. Will pay if someone tells me whats wrong. NO JOKE! (BG Boost)

18lbs on a stock b18b is pretty darn high.

on the s2nd thodghtd fuc,sing do it y00!

:dies:

Old 09-01-2004, 10:26 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: New engine... won't start now. Will pay if someone tells me whats wrong. NO JOKE! (Sketch_hs)

comp numbers dont look too good , but should be able to start , my next guess would be timing....double check that! and do a valve adjustment so you can rule that out as well
Old 09-02-2004, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New engine... won't start now. Will pay if someone tells me whats wrong. NO JOKE! (Hella_JDM)

I check timing a little bit later, after class. Amd then will do a valve adjustment if necessary
Old 09-02-2004, 06:45 AM

It does not happen very often but the plugs could be failing under compression. When they are out they appear to be ok but they stop sparking under compresions. Get then changed. If the valve timing have slipped it would still spark how ever far it was out and would explain your not so good compression readings. just hope you have not bent a valve. Good luck! Oh and wheres my $10!
Old 09-02-2004, 07:38 AM

Default Re: New engine... won't start now. Will pay if someone tells me whats wrong. NO JOKE! (crispydee)

One in a ,illion chance, but it happend on a 90" teg I was working on. The timing belt jumped time on the crank exactly 180*. No bent valves, or any damage. Had fuel and spark too. Found it by spraying starting fluid in the IM and had some one turn it over. It would shoot flames out the trhottle body kind of cool, but scary. Check you timing especially the belt.