Notices

new boost, how do i know if my turbo car is running/tuned properly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new boost, how do i know if my turbo car is running/tuned properly?

car sat for about 2 years with a blown motor due to a bad turbo install.
swapped in a new longblock, shop did valve adjustment, replaced seals belts etc.

setup:
greddy kit (used)
450cc tuner toys injectors (new)
hi flow cat (semi new)
apexi ws2 exhaust (semi new)
blitz bov (used w kit)
exedy stage 2 clutch (new)
godspeed aluminum radiator
12" slim fan
street tuned on crome

i rarely ever drive the car since i got it running back in july, but i just sold my si and this cars gonna be my main driver now.

stupid question, but how do i know if its running or tuned properly?

car feels ok, doesnt seem like any real problems, but it does seem to kill a lot of gas. ive only been through like 1 or 2 tanks so far, only driving to work and stuff short distances, tank did about 200miles or so. when i was na i used to get like 300 to the tank?
majority of time, the cars temp is only at 1/4. when i was n/a it used to sit just under 1/2. sometimes the car will be at under 1/2, it gets maybe a little better on gas? but then it cools down again. is it because my car keeps staying so cold that im burning gas/running rich, because when cars not up to operating temp car runs rich correct?

also im scared to punch my car 'too' hard, im not an aggressive driver, and im paranoid the engine will blow if i 'push it'.
i should get a wideband to see exactly how my car is running?

another thing is, the longblock was sitting in a garage along w/ my car with the valve cover off, shop said thats bad because a lot of dirt and buildup can get in there, they said i was lucky the motor started and ran.
im thinking i should change the oil/coolant since the motor sat so long and could flush out some crap?

eventually, i want to take the car to redzone or something to have them check out the car and maybe retune it to make sure everythings ok, do you guys think this is something i should do soon since im concerned with its condition? im kind of tired of spending money on imports

ps. im confident of my shops 'mechanical' work, i know them through good friends, but i know tuning is a real important area, and im not sure how good they are at that

sorry if all just a bunch of stupid rants