Notices

new to boost, had a few questions...greddy?

Old 05-25-2006, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to boost, had a few questions...greddy?

I'm interested in the greddy kit for my 00 civic with gsr swap. seems to me that greddy is on the little expensive side compared to other kits, but overall one of the most complete/reliable kits on the market. And also fairly stupid proof to install? doesn't need any kind of tuning, because of the e-management. oh, and is 50-state legal, and when living in cali, this is important! I guess my questions are...

1) could someone with confident mild mechanic skills install this kit?
2) anyone with any expirence with these kits?
3) reliablity and easy to maintian?

not looking to make huge numbers, just want to have a lil fun with a mild turbo setup

Sorry for the noob question I guess...just looking for some good feedback on this. Opinons and options welcome!

thanks HT

Modified by 20civic00 at 10:26 PM 5/25/2006
Old 05-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to boost, had a few questions...greddy? (20civic00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 20civic00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm interested in the greddy kit for my 00 civic with gsr swap. seems to me that greddy is on the little expensive side compared to other kits, but overall one of the most complete/reliable kits on the market. And also fairly stupid proof to install? doesn't need any kind of tuning, because of the e-management. oh, and is 50-state legal, and when living in cali, this is important! I guess my questions are...

1) could someone with confident mild mechanic skills install this kit?
2) anyone with any expirence with these kits?
3) reliablity and easy to maintian?

not looking to make huge numbers, just want to have a lil fun with a mild turbo setup

Sorry for the noob question I guess...just looking for some good feedback on this. Opinons and options welcome!

thanks HT </TD></TR></TABLE>

1) Yes. I did it in my garage with jackstands and hand tools. It is idiot proof, comes with a great instruction manual, and everything fits perfectly...at least in my case.
2) Had it for two years and have been adding a few things here and there to squeeze a little more power out of it at a lower boost level.
3) The kit is very reliable. I have not had any problems with any of the parts. They are all built very well and fit very well.

It is really enough turbo for me since I have stock internals, high mileage, and daily drive it. I really like the quick spool.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the Greddy setup on my stock LS with about 135k miles on it. I boosted it at 110k and the turbo's been doing great. Did run into some problems, but it was the motor mostly. I slapped an intercooler and bov on and it was ready to go. And no change in gas mileage. Perfect for a daily driver.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:02 PM

Default Re: new to boost, had a few questions...greddy? (sir boostalot)

thanks guys, this is helping a lot. anyone have expirences with the turbonetics kit? I was just looking at them, and apparently they are a complete kit also. claiming 260hp on a b18c1. comes with innercooler and bov, unlike greddy...

when u guys put those kits on, u didn't need to do any tuning right? and everything ran fine?
Old 05-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had to piece my kit together, but the exhaust manifold, elbow, downpipe, and turbo are all greddy.

i did the majority of the install myself, with the help of my good buddy who made the build possible.

The injectors, gauges, obd conversion, ecu and intercooler were all installed and running (if u will) before i actually put the turbo on.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 20civic00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks guys, this is helping a lot. anyone have expirences with the turbonetics kit? I was just looking at them, and apparently they are a complete kit also. claiming 260hp on a b18c1. comes with innercooler and bov, unlike greddy...

when u guys put those kits on, u didn't need to do any tuning right? and everything ran fine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only reason I sprung for the Greddy kit is because I live in California and the CARB exemption appealed to me. The turbonetics kit looks pretty nice as well, but also look into the Revhard kits, if you are looking for kits. It will be cheaper to piece one together if you know what you are looking for and where to find the bargains.

My Greddy kit came with the blue box, so it is untunable, but I ran it like that for over a year. Then I got some larger injectors, turned up the boost, and went OBD1 with Crome and it runs better.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:03 AM

Default Re: new to boost, had a few questions...greddy? (Das Schmoo)

do u know if the turbonetics computer is programable, or can i jus get a hondata or AEM for it later?
Old 05-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As I remember, the carb exemption was pending in California for the Greddy kit when I bought it back in 04'. If a cop pops your hood in Cal, he will still send you to a ref and you will still be screwed. Don't get it just for the carb sticker. You'll get away with smog, but even if you slap an intercooler or bov on the Greddy kit the carb sticker doesn't work anymore. If you decide to buy a kit, chances are you're still going to upgrade a few things, so don't get Greddy if you're trying to get a lot of power. Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:25 AM

Default Re: new to boost, had a few questions...greddy? (sir boostalot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sir boostalot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As I remember, the carb exemption was pending in California for the Greddy kit when I bought it back in 04'. If a cop pops your hood in Cal, he will still send you to a ref and you will still be screwed. Don't get it just for the carb sticker. You'll get away with smog, but even if you slap an intercooler or bov on the Greddy kit the carb sticker doesn't work anymore. If you decide to buy a kit, chances are you're still going to upgrade a few things, so don't get Greddy if you're trying to get a lot of power. Hope this helps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

very true, I was also thinking this...thats why other kits started to appeal to me. like the turbonetics. but I was wondering if they are as reliable as the greddy kits seem to be?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Last time i checked the Edelbrock kit was also CARB (&lt;- read smogNAZI) excempt. And comes with a better turbo aaaand better/modern components. Fuel management also incl.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: new to boost, had a few questions...greddy? (Laserjock)

great info guys..
Old 05-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to boost, had a few questions...greddy? (kKdARIAN)

Pretty much, listen to Das Schmoo...he knows a lot. I agree with his posts.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to boost, had a few questions...greddy? (kKdARIAN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kKdARIAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">great info guys.. </TD></TR></TABLE>
definitely
Old 05-28-2006, 09:03 PM

I have a 2000 GSR witha greddy T3/T4 turbo and its the best thing i ever done
Old 05-28-2006, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to boost, had a few questions...greddy? (00BoostedGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00BoostedGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 2000 GSR witha greddy T3/T4 turbo and its the best thing i ever done </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm glad the boost has made you a believer, but what is a Greddy T3/T4?
Old 05-28-2006, 11:03 PM

Default Re: new to boost, had a few questions...greddy? (Spec R)

greddy vs. turbonetics anyone?
Old 05-28-2006, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 20civic00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">greddy vs. turbonetics anyone?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It will make more power at a lower boost level because it is a larger turbo than the 18G that comes with the Greddy kit. I wouldn't trust their fuel management, however, since it seems to be a missing link/FMU setup and I don't think they include injectors either, so you would need some larger injectors and a better fuel management and it would be a killer kit with a lot of potential.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to boost, had a few questions...greddy? (Das Schmoo)

i'd look into the edelbrock kits if u get a single cam EX.

nice power/response/mangement.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:15 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spec R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd look into the edelbrock kits if u get a single cam EX.

nice power/response/mangement.</TD></TR></TABLE>

plus carb legal pending i think... I've heard good things about those kits. I found one for $2,400, with everything. but im not runnin a single cam in that car soon!
Old 05-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 20civic00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
but im not runnin a single cam in that car soon! </TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm not sure what you mean by this..?
Old 05-30-2006, 07:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spec R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i'm not sure what you mean by this..?</TD></TR></TABLE>

was just saying that Im not keeping my d16 in the car, i swappin it with a b18c1
Old 05-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh man then you'll have fun for sure with a boosted GSR swap..
Old 05-31-2006, 05:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spec R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh man then you'll have fun for sure with a boosted GSR swap..</TD></TR></TABLE>

hope so! i know my car is good on gas, but i would rather have more power

so, Im thinking turbnetics kit with hondata and a good tune should do the trick. anyone with install expirence on the turbonetics kit? easy? hard? the wiring looked a little challenging when i looked up the instructions for the kit on turbonetics website.