Notices

New aluminum Supertech retainers

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New aluminum Supertech retainers

I got a set of the new Aluminum Supertech retainers and their 10 deg. locks for a customer in today. Just wanted to see what you guys think about these and has anyone had experience with them? I am just wondering what the long term abuse these will take and how you guys feel about having to use ST's locks? They are lighter then ti retainers and cost less as well.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New aluminum Supertech retainers (ninesecrx)

if noone offers any info, let us know how they turn out.

Id like to see how the softer metals hold up to that kind of constant abuse.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have zero experience with them. Let us know how they work out mike

Just curious, what applications are they available for?
Old 04-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New aluminum Supertech retainers (PrecisionH23a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have zero experience with them. Let us know how they work out mike

Just curious, what applications are they available for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

B/H/K/S2k
Old 04-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have absolutely no experience with them but i would imagine being a softer metal it would not be ideal for a DD due to its weakness to heat and warpage. Would be good for full race apps where rebuilds are not uncommon.

Again thats just my theory. I would like to here some rock hard experience as well.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New aluminum Supertech retainers (mitsuman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mitsuman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have absolutely no experience with them but i would imagine being a softer metal it would not be ideal for a DD due to its weakness to heat and warpage.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

those aren't really the primary concerns I would have with using aluminum on a part like this. fatigue would be though. Its actually a kind of interesting load they are under, because of the constant tension of the spring and the shock when the valve closes i think anyway...any one with an applicable degree wanna give some insight?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:04 PM

well since it seems that noone has used it what does Supertech say?
Old 04-21-2007, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90 integra)

in the description it says that it is not only lighter but more durable than ti
Old 04-21-2007, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats interesting.. im already weary of using Ti retainers for my daily motor.. :S
Old 04-21-2007, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (null.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by null. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in the description it says that it is not only lighter but more durable than ti</TD></TR></TABLE>

When if comes to metals, "more durable" can technically speak for 1 of many terms. I would definately call them about this, esp if you plan on running high lift/duration (steep ramp) cams at very high RPMs.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiProfile)

Do you know what kind of aluminum alloy they are made of?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Re: (92LSVTEC)

"Supertech aluminum retainers are made from extruded black anodized aluminum magnesium alloy. The aluminum retainer will offer more than 20% weight reduction when compared to the titanium retainers. The aluminum retainer are specifically designed to work in conjunction with 10 degree keepers. This combination provides a stronger and more durable alternative to the titanium retainers. Available for B-Series DOHC, H22A, K20A Engines"

From:http://www.jhpusa.com/catalog/produc...ce100049266a75
Old 04-21-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Re: (88 rex)

calling supertech would be the appropriate thing to do, but off the top of my head, i'm wondering if they reccomend these for specific spring pressures?
Old 04-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JSpin)

Alright fellas, I got off the phone with ***** from Supertech. In a round about, here is the info he gave me. He said they are made of 7075 mag. aluminum which is very strong and of course, the black anodize makes them even stronger. He said they have as much run life as ti, if not more and said these are stronger then ti as well. I gave the scenario that the set i bought was going on a 850whp car reving to 10.5k and has a 105pds seat pressure. He said no problem at all and the car will love them. I also asked him on a street car if they would last the same longevity as ti and he said yes. So looks like they are only benefits to these vs. running TI, although I would like to see some more data since ti has been used very successful over lots of years.

1 more thing. He did say that one of the secrets to these working so well vs. maybe some aluminum retainers of the past is the 10 deg. retainer. I guess with more slant it adds a lot of strength to the assembly.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ninesecrx)

i would definitely run these over ti if they were to last longer, i know ti retainers have a tendency to wear down within a year or two
Old 04-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by null. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would definitely run these over ti if they were to last longer, i know ti retainers have a tendency to wear down within a year or two</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess it is just gonna take a few guys to step up and prove what ST is saying
Old 04-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much do these cost? for a b-series
Old 04-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alexsracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alexsracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much do these cost? for a b-series</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure, but I sold these ones for $160 for the retainers and locks. It is not a bad deal for anyone who has ever bought locks at Honda...they are not cheap!
Old 04-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">although I would like to see some more data since ti has been used very successful over lots of years.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-24-2007, 03:14 PM
New User

Great Marketing again Mike!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:23 AM

Location: hella norcal, socal, taipei, tokyo, phoenix, the golden state, usa
Default Re: (Boostfed.com)

any updates on real world durability yet? those black anodization looks cosmetic, they should've at least hard anodized it...
Old 08-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ninesecrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright fellas, I got off the phone with ***** from Supertech. In a round about, here is the info he gave me. He said they are made of 7075 mag. aluminum which is very strong and of course, the black anodize makes them even stronger. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wouldn't it be better if it said more durable ?
Old 08-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had some alum retainers custom made for my cylinder head back in 99-2000. That were made from the strongest grade aircraft alum. They have seen probably 25,000 miles of street use and no problems as of yet. I was assured by the machinist that out of the grade alum they were made of that they would be lighter and outlast titanium. He made the retainers a little thicker than original just to add strength and durability.

Modified by OLD_HATCH at 6:02 PM 8/19/2007
Old 08-19-2007, 02:08 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by null. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would definitely run these over ti if they were to last longer, i know ti retainers have a tendency to wear down within a year or two</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have been using Skunk2 Ti retainers for years with very stiff springs and a high lift cam and they still look brand new. No wear, marks, scuffs, etc. They literally look brand new.

This thread is garbage. What good are these subjective comparisons? There are many different companies that offer many different variations of Ti retainers. Different alloys, thicknesses, weights, strengths, etc. Blindly saying that one element is better/lighter/more durable than the other is pointless.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Legion)

From what I have seen aluminum retainers are pretty well proven already.

Evo 8 and 9 4G63 and also first gen b16a automatic motors had these stock. I know many motorcycle engines use them as well. I m sure there are tons of others, those are just what I have seen.

Quick Reply: New aluminum Supertech retainers