Notices

New acura owner, turbo help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New acura owner, turbo help.

I just bought my first acura integra a few days ago. Its a 1990 ls. The motor was built 20k miles ago. It has crane #12 cams, wiseco pistons, and eagle rods. The car is kind of fast but I want to turbo it this winter. I have experience with turbos but not with hondas. My question is. If I ran 15psi of boost what will I need for fuel system and engine management setup? I planned to use a walboro 255, rrfpr, and a missing link. Thats the setup I usually run. Will the stock injectors handle it? Give me some input please. I dont want to use a wideband. I plan to tune the fuel with a pressure gauge. I also heard someone can map the ecu out? I dont want to spend a butt load. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:21 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: New acura owner, turbo help. (Turbo_neon)

You'll need to go to an actual dyno and EFI tune the car. Using the pressure gauge doesn't really help.

15psi of boost could be with ANY turbocharger. What power are you trying to acheive?

Read the Forced Induction FAQs first to find out about options and choices
Old 10-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo_neon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just bought my first acura integra a few days ago. Its a 1990 ls. The motor was built 20k miles ago. It has crane #12 cams, wiseco pistons, and eagle rods. The car is kind of fast but I want to turbo it this winter. I have experience with turbos but not with hondas. My question is. If I ran 15psi of boost what will I need for fuel system and engine management setup? I planned to use a walboro 255, rrfpr, and a missing link. Thats the setup I usually run. Will the stock injectors handle it? Give me some input please. I dont want to use a wideband. I plan to tune the fuel with a pressure gauge. I also heard someone can map the ecu out? I dont want to spend a butt load. Thanks for the help!</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude this isnt neon land, we dont use rrfpr's, missing links, and spoolboy mods. we use $15 chip kits and freeware engine management. do a search for crome or go on pgmfi.org. hondas has tons of cheap engine management. youll need larger then stock injectors for sure at minimum 450cc DSM injectors.

the statement "i dont want to use a wideband" is unacceptable and if thats how you feel i wouldnt bother turboing the car because it well end up with you replacing motors.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New acura owner, turbo help. (CoreyR)

If you don't (at the very least) tune on a wideband. Say goodbye to your motor. No stock injectors will not support 15psi on any turbo. What turbo are you running? Yes you should use an engine management program. No a FPR won't cut it, and don't use a missing link. Do it right or don't do it. What compression pistons were used in the rebuild? The last thing you want to be doing is throwing 15psi from any turbocharger at a high comp motor. READ READ READ and Good luck with the build.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: New acura owner, turbo help. (neoc03)

Hondas are oddballs in that they use MAP sensors, not MAF sensors. This means any changes to the way the motor injests/exhausts air will affect the AIR FUEL RATIOs at every load point (pressure) and rpm point. They were also not designed for boost, so you will need bigger injectors and some form of tuning.

AVG injecter costs: DSM's $0-80, others $200-300
AVG tuning costs: street tune $150, dyno $500
AVG ems costs: $500 (range $0-1000)
AVG turbo system cost: $2000 (range $750-7500)

Blowing your motor because you didn't spend $150 on a wideband - PRICELE$$ (i just HAD to add that! )
Old 10-14-2008, 07:37 AM

Default Re: New acura owner, turbo help. (HiProfile)

I'll say in his defense, if he goes to the correct tuner that has a wideband, he'll be fine, since it is mainly a tuning tool to ensure that the A/F ratios are correct at all levels. None of our cars have digital wideband sitting in the dash to read, mainly because we used it during tuning. Once that was fine, we went by EGT, and called it a day. I guess after 10 years, I get lucky with the tunes, what can I say?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New acura owner, turbo help. (TheShodan)

i guess youve never had an injector go bad or a fuel pump start to fail? wideband could save you alot of money in those situations.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:05 PM

Okay so after reading a bunch and asking a guy in town who has a 700hp civic (which I seen and is baller, even had a parachute to stop). Anyways he told me to use a afc, 440 injectors from a eclipse, and a walboro pump. He said thats all I need if I am running 9psi or lower. I thought afc's were used for tuning out little amounts of fuel. For cams and what not. What do you guys think? If thats a no go then I am going with the hondata. Let me know what you guys think. I have the car for sale, but if it doesnt sell within one week its going in the garage this winter for the turbo and a body re-do. I decided I want to run 8psi all day with a small shot of direct port. Is there anything else I should get? I looked up my clutch thats in it, its a luk (oe replacement) so does that need upgraded? I have 18inch rims on it. In advance: You guys are the best, thanks!
Old 11-10-2008, 04:11 PM

Default Re: New acura owner, turbo help. (HiProfile)

Hate to say it I used a missing link, rrfpr, walboro pump with a garret t3, it was a prelude and it worked fine? If they make missing links for them, why would it not work? With out one your ecu will see the boost, and try to make up for the air and go crazy. Which you dont want. Atleast thats how it is on the cars I have worked on, not just neons. I like details. I like to know if it will work, if not why? I cant get enough info! And I always double check what I learned. SO even if I do read it, I will ask again for second opinions. Feed me info
Old 11-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

throw out the missing link, rrfpr

get a chipped ecu, 450cc or better, wideband, and tune with some freeware like crome.

do it right or you're wasting your time and money
Old 11-12-2008, 07:07 AM

Default Re: New acura owner, turbo help. (CoreyR)

Originally Posted by CoreyR
i guess youve never had an injector go bad or a fuel pump start to fail? wideband could save you alot of money in those situations.
Nope. We've already flow test the injectors and used Denso OEM Supra JZA80 Fuel pumps on almost all builds. Even when an accurate A/F gauge shows that it's run that lean, it's already too late, you only have about a second or 2 to react, at the most. In rally or circuit, that's the computer giving us the information.