Notices

New 1/4 mile times w/ turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 1/4 mile times w/ turbo

Finally got to run the car since the turbo install was completed last October. My best time was a 14.5 @ 98mph. My car is a turbo Integra GSR at 6psi, full interior (weighed in at 2865lbs w/ me in it). Bear in mind the runs were at Bandimere speedway, 6000+ft above sea level. Now my questions are kinda of in the altitude debate area. Before I was turbo charged I ran a best of 16.4 @ ~86mph at Bandimere. The turbo essentially dropped my times by 2 seconds. What I'm wondering is, I ran a 15.3 @ ~93mph or so when I was in Phoenix at Firebird raceway when the car was n/a (same trim as the n/a runs at Bandi where I ran 16.4). If I was to run my car as it sits today in Phoenix with the turbo, would I still be running 14.5 at the lower altitude? If so, it seems wierd to me that turbo charging the car would only gain me a little over a second in the 1/4 mile at that altitude (15.3 n/a dropped to 14.5). I guess the basic question is, does altitude really play a big role on a turbo charged car? I thought I had this figured out before and a turbo charged car would produce basically the same power no matter what the altitude. Anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

Justin
Old 04-16-2003, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: New 1/4 mile times w/ turbo (justinCO)

No. You would definetly be running faster down in AZ now. I would say in the 13's maybe.

I ran my CRX last year at bandi with a burn't out stock clutch and got these times:

15.4 at 98mph

The altitude will come into play no matter what. I have spent a long time reasearching this, and I have came to the conclusion that no matter what setup your running, you will always be slower then at sealevel on the same setup.

The only good news is that you can increase the boost about 2-3psi higher than someone at sea level, to give you the same power output, and same times (respectively).

I just say, boost about 2-4psi higher (tuned), and you will see those times. Dont worry about running such high boost, as the amount of O2 in the engine will be the same as someone at sealevel running 2-4psi less.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New 1/4 mile times w/ turbo (Bryson)

OH BTW, I should have my new turbo setup done within a few months... I hope to see you at the track!

Old 04-16-2003, 11:17 AM

yes, running at a lower altitude will make your car run faster. This is because the air is more dense at a lower altitude (more oxygen molecules per cubic foot) so more oxygen is getting into your engine. When you are at a higher altitude there is not as much oxygen in the air so it is not getting into your engine, therefore you are not getting as much horsepower.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to see you ran the car Justin.
With my rather extensive research(mainly talking to sea level folks) and checking out timeslips etc. I have figured very roughly that NA cars are close 1 full second slower here at Bandimere then at sea level. And Generally Boosted cars are about .4-.5 seconds slower here.
Again, this is mainly from my observations and many hours of boredom researching the topic while at work
Mark
Old 04-16-2003, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh I forgot,

The best technical explination I can give, is that "air" is not a homogenious mixture, meaning, it is not thouroughly equal in composition. lower altitudes because of gravity, have more oxygen content.

I wonder however, if the fact that Oxygen has a higher molar mass than the other elements in "air" has something to do with this?

Old 04-16-2003, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool. I know that the altitude will affect the n/a cars, I was just curious on boosted cars. My car ran almost exactly a second slower at Bandi than in Phoenix when it was n/a, kind of depressing Can't wait til later this year when I can start modding my car again. I want it to be a low-mid 13 second daily driver on the stock motor

Justin
Old 04-18-2003, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow Bryson. I like that car a lot. It looks really clean. 400hp zc sounds nice too. Keep it up.