Notices

Neptuners, please help...PWM boost control questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Neptuners, please help...PWM boost control questions

I am using Neptune RTP for my setup and love the software but I can't figure out why I'm not getting any control over boost. I have watched the video on their site like 20 times and I messed with almost all the settings I can mess with and I'm still just getting wastegate pressure. I have an external tial gate that I am not able to use the top port because of hood clearance issues, so I am just using the bottom port with the controller in line. I have checked, and a few people on here said that it is possible to use it this way...it may just be less precise. Does anyone here have some experience with this...can you hold my NOOB hand here? I'm not new to boost at all, I have just never used a solenoid...I've just always changed springs in the past...
Old 11-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Neptuners, please help...PWM boost control questions

yes it is possible but you really need to use the top port. if you don't have pressure on top of the gate, in between shifts your boost is gonna start over at the spring pressure which sucks dick cuz you have no extra pressure pressing it from the top. in other words a lot less midrange and torque upon shifting and slower spool. get a godspeed wastegate man, cheap as ***, reliable, been on my car for 2 years with 20+psi boost and the ports are on the side and its a lot more compact(warranty too). but for now, connect a vacuum hose from the compressor outlet of turbo to number 3 port on EBC. then connect port 2 of the EBC to the bottom port of wastegate. put duty cycle values at their lowest and that will work for sure but its not as accurate and reliable as using both ports
Old 11-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is exactly what I have done and I am getting nothing...is there a way to verify the Neptune is controlling the solenoid at all...I don't see any way to test it with the software...

Oh...I just read your post again and that makes ALOT of sense..it would fall out of boost because of that....hmmmm...I think I am going to end up just getting another spring. I just don't have any money left and I am only wanting 9-10 psi anyway...Thanks for the quick response..
Old 11-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First question: do you have the pwm components installed on the ECU to drive the solenoid?
Old 11-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Muckman
First question: do you have the pwm components installed on the ECU to drive the solenoid?
Yes...everything is set up...I have a MAC solenoid and installed the two resistors, one diode..etc...Neptune uses pin a11 for the solenoid ground and it was set up that way.

I changed my mind...I'm going to just get me a .7 bar spring and call it good. This is just a daily driver and I don't really want to screw around with it anymore. I want to run about 10 psi all the time anyway. With a good tune this little LS will run for a long time just like that anyway...This is how my last car was set up and a drove it for 4 years with no issues. (just good old mechanical boost control) Sorry to ask a question and then say screw it...but I'm just going to keep this simple. Besides, I still have the stock MAP...so that's about all I can run anyway...If you know someone that wants the solenoid..I am going to craigslist it now...
Old 12-01-2013, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can test that the solenoid and output are working by changing the duty setting in the "Hold Duty Until" section to something other than 0 at key off. You should also make sure that PWM Duty Cycle reads what you expect in datalogging. If the output/solenoid works and PWM Duty Cycle reads what you expect then you have an external issue with your setup or how it's routed.