Notices

Need understanding on aftermarket camshafts on a stock engine using KW supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need understanding on aftermarket camshafts on a stock engine using KW supercharger

first off, is it okay to run aftermarket cams on a stock engine? nothing else upgraded on the motor itself.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Need understanding on aftermarket camshafts on a stock engine using KW supercharger

Originally Posted by white2000ciVic
first off, is it okay to run aftermarket cams on a stock engine? nothing else upgraded on the motor itself.
Yes. Depends on the stage of the cam.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Need understanding on aftermarket camshafts on a stock engine using KW supercharger

what do you recommend for d16y8, eventually planning to Kraftwerks Supercharge it?(if a supercharger would even affect the answer)
Old 08-27-2017, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what do you recommend for d16y8, eventually planning to Kraftwerks Supercharge it?(if a supercharger would even affect the answer)
Supercharger would effect the answer.
I can't really say what cam you need for a supercharger. Maybe a turbo cam possibly.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

word thanks, i didn't even know they had turbo specific cams haha. got a lot to learn😂✊🏼
Old 08-28-2017, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Since you intend to use a Kraftwerks supercharger kit at a later time, I suggest a camshaft like the Brian Crower Stage 2 N/A cam (BC-0071) or something similar. A short duration "FI" camshaft profile would be better if you were using a roots style supercharger like the older Jackson Racing kit. Keep me posted on your progress... I would be really interested in how your KW supercharger plan shakes out. Full disclosure: I am a bit "biased" about a Rotrex based supercharger system... I have one and LOVE it. You can check out mine here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...hread-3285501/
Old 08-29-2017, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need understanding on aftermarket camshafts on a stock engine using KW supercharg

Are Rocket motor sports still in business? I would contact them and tell them your plans. See if they can make you a custom cam specific to your application (High lift, decent duration, less over lap, etc....).
Old 08-29-2017, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Re: Need understanding on aftermarket camshafts on a stock engine using KW supercharg

We put blueprint stage2 cams, with a c-30 kraftwerks kit on a k20z3. Barely noticed a difference. Same thing happen to another friend who put bigger NA cams on a roots blower. Different S/C setup i know

if your goin to goin to be using a kraftwerks kit, mite aswell just use your money towards that. Instead of on cams. Also if doin any kinda of forced induction, you should strongly consider upgrading your valvetrain. Which would be recommended for most cams anyway.

would say search on here hankys build, but photobucket took a ****. Dyno video is there though.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

ls joker, I agree with you that a cam change with a roots style blower is likely a waste of hard earned money, however, it has been my observation that when using the Kraftwerks C30 supercharger on a "B" series VTEC engine, the increase in power has been between 170 and 175 wheel HP OVER the engine's N/A horsepower output... so one could theorize that this same phenomenon would hold true with the SOHC VTEC engine. I am not suggesting that the gains would be 170+ wheel HP, but experiencing essentially a static gain when installed on a SOHC engine would not surprise me. With that said, I would say that a quality cam choice would be good for 15 to 25 more wheel HP than a stock cam, and thus, 15 to 25 more wheel HP with the KW kit over a stock engine.

Remember that my local tuner happens to be the shop that historically has made more power with the KW superchargers on "B" series engines than anyone in the US... and since I have seen them tune at least a dozen of these set-ups... including mine... I am fairly confident that they have it down pat. I heard a rumor that they might be contemplating a SOHC VTEC KW build for a customer, so it will be interesting to see how that package performs.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
ls joker, I agree with you that a cam change with a roots style blower is likely a waste of hard earned money, however, it has been my observation that when using the Kraftwerks C30 supercharger on a "B" series VTEC engine, the increase in power has been between 170 and 175 wheel HP OVER the engine's N/A horsepower output... so one could theorize that this same phenomenon would hold true with the SOHC VTEC engine. I am not suggesting that the gains would be 170+ wheel HP, but experiencing essentially a static gain when installed on a SOHC engine would not surprise me. With that said, I would say that a quality cam choice would be good for 15 to 25 more wheel HP than a stock cam, and thus, 15 to 25 more wheel HP with the KW kit over a stock engine.

Remember that my local tuner happens to be the shop that historically has made more power with the KW superchargers on "B" series engines than anyone in the US... and since I have seen them tune at least a dozen of these set-ups... including mine... I am fairly confident that they have it down pat. I heard a rumor that they might be contemplating a SOHC VTEC KW build for a customer, so it will be interesting to see how that package performs.
for the most part, thats what happened with the results after the cams were installed. We got about a 20whp increase down low. And maybe 10whp or so up top. I forgot what vtc gear pin we used. But all in all, i was expecting better results.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeahhh haha. gonna be a while til that supercharger. little problems here and there. like my front wheel bearings right now. pretty sure they're shot from lowering my car & stiffening the coils.