Notices

Need tips to brake in my rebuild motor with turbo?????

Old 09-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need tips to brake in my rebuild motor with turbo?????

Hi i just recently re rebuild my d16z6 75.5mm vitara eagle h beam motor w/arp head studs. I did the new rebuild with measured bearings etc. The previous build I made a mistake but this time i made it better. I also gave it the a machinist for inspection and see if I could still use my parts. They told me The motor was not broken in yet at only 3k miles.
Vitara run without turbo and it had lots of carbon build up on the cylinders heads and piston tops. The machinist told me the bore was still looking not braking in the hone looked fresh and like he bored it yesterday. The top piston rings npr rings said it's not broken in yet.

How can brake it in this time with the dang turbo. I still need some tips on how to break in the motor. The machinist also told me that the engine will need a good tune i will get that also. What tips do i know if i will break in the turbo? The machinest told me that After breaking it in I will feel more power in my motor? When I did my last motor I didn't break in good only 3k.

Please let me know on tips/ T3t4 turbo what lowest boost could I run if i break it in.
Need some tips thanks.......
Old 09-01-2014, 07:27 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need tips to brake in my rebuild motor with turbo?????

Break the engine in on a dyno, while it's being tuned. After the first 50 miles, break in is DONE, good or bad. You want to run it hard for 50 miles with break in oil, change the oil, run it normally for another 500 with break in oil, then resume normal oil change cycles.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Ignore the fact that the site looks like it was made with Geocities back in the 90's - it's spot on.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need tips to brake in my rebuild motor with turbo?????

I ran my freshly rebuild engine hard after it got up to operating temp on first startup. A lot of full throttle 2nd and 3rd gear pulls then let the engine drag to slow the car down. Did this for 20 miles or so with stock ecu and injectors, then put the turbo on and had it tuned. My engine makes great power, doesn't consume any oil and has great compression. I fully believe in the hard breakin theory.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two posts above me are spot on. I used the exact method in the motousa(?) Site and my engine runs phenomenal. I have some oil leaks due to shitty b series pan leaking easy and the classic water outlet oil leak, but the engine itself runs very strong. I might be burning just a tiny bit of oil or its just oil being burnt on my exhaust, but Im using an old head so who knows.

First start up it idled very high and poorly, ran it very hard the first 20-30 minutes and now it idles like a tame kitty.

Follow the steps on that site and you wont regret it.