Notices

gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Good call on tuning it at English Racing they are a really good shop. I had a really good experience with them about 10 years ago when they fixed a lot of problems with my very first GSR turbo integra. You will definitely get a really good tune there.
I've only heard of good things about them and I'm impressed with there Integra so figured I'll let them work there magic.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Today I stopped by the shop to setup an appointment. Gonna have them break in the motor using there break in process along with setting up the bbg. Dropping her off next Wednesday.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:43 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

See if gringoteg will take you for a ride in the Integra. I'll guarantee you **** yourself lol
Old 06-29-2016, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by wantboost
See if gringoteg will take you for a ride in the Integra. I'll guarantee you **** yourself lol
Lol. That chassis even street legal now
Old 06-29-2016, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gutted-dx
It's been a slow month but I'm back at it. I've decided to take the car to English Racing in WA and I'm ******* excited! Im going to replace the pro1s with stock cams at thr moment. Was recommended to do so because of the size of the turbo (54mm) so stock b16 cams this year.

Can someone confirm if you need 2 washers on the bottom of the timing belt while using an ATI damper?

Yes, or belt will walk off.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks king06 gonna have to pull the pulley. Hopefully an auto zone puller will work.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:23 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

youre going to need that washer that is made for that section. the washer is concave for a reason. there are two washer btw, if you need a pic let me know because i have my motor is pieces right now.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Justyncredible, a picture would be nice for confirmation. Are you talking about the OEM washers or does ATI send specific ones?
Old 06-30-2016, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Justyncredible, a picture would be nice for confirmation. Are you talking about the OEM washers or does ATI send specific ones?
I used my oem washers with my ati pulley, no issues here
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2016, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks dude!
Old 07-05-2016, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I've run into a problem. I watched a few YouTube videos on how to swap the transmission casing and did everything by the video and **** my life if it won't go into gear except 5th. Anyone know what can cause this? I'm assuming I'll have to pull the transmission but I was wondering if maybe the little ball bearings didn't seat maybe it could cause this? I stayed up until 2am this morning dropping it in and that was the end result. No dyno today, but I'd like to get it there by Friday if possible. Any help is appreciated!

Joe
Old 07-05-2016, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I've run into a problem. I watched a few YouTube videos on how to swap the transmission casing and did everything by the video and **** my life if it won't go into gear except 5th. Anyone know what can cause this? I'm assuming I'll have to pull the transmission but I was wondering if maybe the little ball bearings didn't seat maybe it could cause this? I stayed up until 2am this morning dropping it in and that was the end result. No dyno today, but I'd like to get it there by Friday if possible. Any help is appreciated!

Joe
you didn't bench test it first. did you make sure the tab on the mainshaft was in the correct position. and the shifter selector in the correct position before reassembly.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i fucked up. Enlighten me haha. I need to know so I can tear back into it tonight and maybe have it reinstalled before tomorrow. The tab on the main shafts points to twelve o'clock and the selector I'm not sure about.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On the selector, it needs to be in the middle of the three positions. But, i dont think it would assemble together and shift thru the gears when its in the wrong position. Its been so long it i opened mine.

Best bet would be to take it apart then reassemble it. Then bench test it.

I take it the tranny didnt have this problem before.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dropped the car off at English and talked to Erin (the tuner) for a little bit. He seemed to know his **** and showed me his 900hp j-series hatch. Next week they're gonna start the break in and if all goes well they are gonna throw it on the dyno. I put a type-r intake cam in it also before I dropped it off so I think 400 should be doable on pump.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when I got the car back I was surprised it only made 319 at 15psi. They suggested upgrading the manifold and intercooler. So last week I bought a Vibrant 550hp intercooler and a Sheepey top mount with a 44mm wastegate. The goautoworks intercooler piping I bought won't clear the bumper so I have to cut and reweld the coldside and make new hot side piping in 2.5in. Then back to the Dyno..
Old 08-10-2016, 07:54 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

when I got the car back I was surprised it only made 319 at 15psi. They suggested upgrading the manifold and intercooler. So last week I bought a Vibrant 550hp intercooler and a Sheepey top mount with a 44mm wastegate. The goautoworks intercooler piping I bought won't clear the bumper so I have to cut and reweld the coldside and make new hot side piping in 2.5in. Then back to the Dyno..
You are playing yourself doing all that, man. You don't need a top mount , and don't know where you got it to where you would get 400 whp on 93 octane with 50 or 57 trim. We did over 450whp on 2.35 inch to 2.5" piping. 550hp vibrant is good to only about 450whp-480whp.

319@15psi is pretty dam good for that turbo

You're putting your money into the wrong parts, with expectations that aren't realistic..

Let's go over this current parts list again and plan this right, what do ya say? :-)
Old 08-11-2016, 02:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B16 head
Supertech valvetrain (stock valves)
Itr intake cam

84MM Golden Eagle block
9.7-1 CP Pistons upgraded pins
Carillo rods
ATI Super damper

Fuel
Walbro 255
Aem fpr
Grams 1000cc injectors

Ecu
S300v2

I want 500+ whp. I bought the top mount with plans for a bigger turbo next year. The car will be used for some street driving and the occasional trip to the track.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As shodan said you dont need a top mount thats just malarkey. Top mounts are terrible for anything that will see street use IMO. look at lighting teg hes at over 600 with a mini ram.

the turbo is the primary restriction, theres no way the 5454 will do 500+ with any combination of parts......why did they stop at 15 PSI?
Old 08-11-2016, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the top mount has already been bought unfortunately so it's gonna go on unless its gonna be that big of a problem that I should sell it. They stopped at 15psi because they said the intercooler was so small. I didn't even think about it until afterwards but the gas was also 1yr old also haha. So... What's the next step? Turbo and cams? I'm open to more suggestions.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont think cams are gonna be an issue, sure you can go aftermarket like skunk2 or GSC to make a bit more power and possibly better power band but they are not a requirement. I do prefer stockish cams myself. I am very happy with my ITR cams, at only 410 HP but they can make alot more then that. I would focus on the turbo

you should be looking twards turbo charger Gt3076R sizing for 500+

sorry for my ignorance but is this track car/street/road racing ETC? Sheepy makes alot of good stuff but I just dont like the characteristics of top mounts for street use. It will make power just mostly on the topend and your power band will suffer

might wanna re-read Lighting Tegs build as its a great example of what can be done with a somewhat minimalistic build. Type R cams, Mini ram manifold 600+
Old 08-11-2016, 12:58 PM

Well the top mount has already been bought unfortunately so it's gonna go on unless its gonna be that big of a problem that I should sell it. They stopped at 15psi because they said the intercooler was so small. I didn't even think about it until afterwards but the gas was also 1yr old also haha. So... What's the next step? Turbo and cams? I'm open to more suggestions.
Well, in all honesty, the "problem" is going to be the response characteristics of the car with at top mount manifold on a such a smaller ranged turbocharger like the 5831 and similar sizes. It sounds like to me that you bumped into a deal that "you couldn't refuse" when it came to that manifold, thought it looked good, and should support the 400whp that you're looking for. In addition , I think you were misled to believe that tubular log manifolds of any company are just restrictive and prohibitive in their use, which is simply not the case.

Unless you're completely committed to this exhaust manifold, you need to really take a look at what you're doing. Are you trying for 400whp on just 93 octane fuel? or something in which you'll get top end power out of over 500-700whp later? What's the real purpose? response "monster"? short sprint bursts? Highway runs? Dragstrip/street? CIrcuit? I think the reason you may have been a bit confused is you're not really sure what you're trying to do other than focus on the "Horsepower" aspect of this build. The car looks great, and fantastic attention to detail, but I can see you're much more of a "body" man than the engine and purpose.

So, as of now, I can't recommend any camshafts, or even general turbocharger lbs/min sizing, until we know a bit more about what you're trying to do here ... state the purpose. I'm telling you, it gets easier once you answer that for yourself, as well as us...
Old 08-11-2016, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
I dont think cams are gonna be an issue, sure you can go aftermarket like skunk2 or GSC to make a bit more power and possibly better power band but they are not a requirement. I do prefer stockish cams myself. I am very happy with my ITR cams, at only 410 HP but they can make alot more then that. I would focus on the turbo

you should be looking twards turbo charger Gt3076R sizing for 500+

sorry for my ignorance but is this track car/street/road racing ETC? Sheepy makes alot of good stuff but I just dont like the characteristics of top mounts for street use. It will make power just mostly on the topend and your power band will suffer

might wanna re-read Lighting Tegs build as its a great example of what can be done with a somewhat minimalistic build. Type R cams, Mini ram manifold 600+
I was just typing my response as you were typing yours 2kdrift.. I can concur with your thought process. I think gutted-dx can contact Sheepey if the manifold hasn't been made yet, and put a nice HOLD until you figure out the need here. then pick the right style manifold for the right job.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@shodan I think hes on a turbonetics 5454 from what im reading

@op Just noticed it looks like you were using a log, which could have somewhat limited your power at these levels but not by much, you just went overboard with the manifold upgrade
Old 08-11-2016, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
@shodan I think hes on a turbonetics 5454 from what im reading

@op Just noticed it looks like you were using a log, which could have somewhat limited your power at these levels but not by much, you just went overboard with the manifold upgrade
That log manifold wasn't going to limit anything that a 5454 could do on its best day with the "Finger of God" pushing that turbo. I've run turbochargers with much more lbs/min airflow than that on a log manifold very effectively.

Quick Reply: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.