Notices

--Need some suggestion for clutch--

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default --Need some suggestion for clutch--

'01 GSR....going turbo, hoping for 280whp.

LSD...and what clutch???

trying to stay not to pricey....no Tilton $1200 stuff

I was thinking Action 2MD ?? but thats pretty much just a guess.

Daily driver, prolly monthly visit to strip with slicks

Any help like brand, model, price, experience with, vendor, life expectancy, all that info would help alot...thanks

Old 10-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm trying to get a clutch too. looking into 2ks or 2md. but from reading previous clutch posts, action seems to be pretty popular.

http://www.kteller.com <- he's an authorized dealer. not to mention his phenomenal customer service.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ash.zero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ash.zero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm trying to get a clutch too. looking into 2ks or 2md. but from reading previous clutch posts, action seems to be pretty popular.

http://www.kteller.com &lt;- he's an authorized dealer. not to mention his phenomenal customer service. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I just read about the Action 2MD....they all seem kinda the same to me...no real experience
Old 10-08-2004, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jfoster)

Bump. What are you guys using.....and how do you like it. Where did you get it? What did you pay?
Old 10-08-2004, 06:33 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Re: --Need some suggestion for clutch-- (jfoster)

I use ACT SS Heavy-duty clutch for my setup. Lasted over 3yrs of DAILY abuse!!!! That's enough reputation...isn't it? As for LSD, I would get the Quaife. Not too bad of price either (MSRP $895). I don't have it on mine.. YET...
Old 10-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: --Need some suggestion for clutch-- (NVturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NVturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use ACT SS Heavy-duty clutch for my setup. Lasted over 3yrs of DAILY abuse!!!! That's enough reputation...isn't it? As for LSD, I would get the Quaife. Not too bad of price either (MSRP $895). I don't have it on mine.. YET...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool, 3 years is badass. I want a quaife, but damn.....895 is a **** ton of money in my world. I have my fingers crossed that the OBX unit proves to be better than expected.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok well the ACT AI4-HDSS is pretty close to the same price as the Action 2MD, can anyone throw out a reason to get one over the other?

Right now this
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NVturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lasted over 3yrs of DAILY abuse!!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

has me leaning toward the ACT unit.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive heard good results from the ACT XTSS.

So I decided to go with that also..! Been in my car for 2 days so far. -=P Damn break in procedure! 300-500 miles ....under 4k rpm...

Feels good so far..!
Old 10-09-2004, 05:27 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jfoster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok well the ACT AI4-HDSS is pretty close to the same price as the Action 2MD, can anyone throw out a reason to get one over the other?

Right now this

has me leaning toward the ACT unit.</TD></TR></TABLE>
One more thing, you can get the same ACT unit like mine for under $390 shipped. IM me if you would like info on getting one.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: --Need some suggestion for clutch-- (NVturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by synik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive heard good results from the ACT XTSS.

So I decided to go with that also..! Been in my car for 2 days so far. -=P Damn break in procedure! 300-500 miles ....under 4k rpm...

Feels good so far..! </TD></TR></TABLE>
Awesome <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NVturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
One more thing, you can get the same ACT unit like mine for under $390 shipped. IM me if you would like info on getting one.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, I think I found it from an sponsor for like 380 or so. So far the 2MD goes for 405 I believe.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mechanic just told me he won't put ACT clutches in hondas anymore...WTF? Said Comp or Clutch Masters only.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jfoster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mechanic just told me he won't put ACT clutches in hondas anymore...WTF? Said Comp or Clutch Masters only. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, he says " anything but ACT" . So I guess I want the 2MD ???? Anybody got words of praise fpr their ClutchMasters unit?

Looking to buy soon so if you have anything to say, spit it out.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:08 PM
95GSRTT

go with rps!
Old 10-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jfoster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, he says " anything but ACT" . So I guess I want the 2MD ???? Anybody got words of praise fpr their ClutchMasters unit?

Looking to buy soon so if you have anything to say, spit it out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like it's time to take your business elsewhere.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clutchmasters Stage 3 on GSR w/ HX35 at 8psi - 280ish WHP. lasted a little over 3 days and then slipped like a ************.

Action 2MD on LS/Turbo in CRX. Arguably more clutch than necessary. used in 500+WHP applications without issue. By far the nicest 6-puck I've ever driven, but still minorly obnoxious to parallel park on.

I personally paid much closer to $300 than $405 for the Action 2MD. You can get them cheap if you know who to ask.

ACT make decent stuff, but I'm not a huge fan personally mainly because I can get Action so much cheaper.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blundar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mario BA4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sounds like it's time to take your business elsewhere. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, well, this guy does stuff privately and has done ALOT of work with good reviews for people locally. And he is MUCH cheaper than a shop (300 to install clutch and LSD). So I am kinda cosidering doing it myself just to save the $300....but I am not real sure at this point.

And after he said that I have read a few bad experiences with ACT ??? Who knows....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blundar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Clutchmasters Stage 3 on GSR w/ HX35 at 8psi - 280ish WHP. lasted a little over 3 days and then slipped like a ************.

Action 2MD on LS/Turbo in CRX. Arguably more clutch than necessary. used in 500+WHP applications without issue. By far the nicest 6-puck I've ever driven, but still minorly obnoxious to parallel park on.

I personally paid much closer to $300 than $405 for the Action 2MD. You can get them cheap if you know who to ask.

ACT make decent stuff, but I'm not a huge fan personally mainly because I can get Action so much cheaper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So the 2MD is way too much for me? I kinda like the idea of it being strong enough that I wouldn't have to replace it if I ever went forged internals and like 400hp.....but I don't want to hate driving it daily And I NEED TO KNOW who I can ask and get one for $300 HELP!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95GSRTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go with rps! </TD></TR></TABLE> Gotta be more specific

Thanks for the comments keep the suggestions coming
Old 10-18-2004, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Guess I am gonna order an Action 2MD tonight. Just out of not knowing of a better choice. Overkill?? You think?? Shoot me some better options if you have em.

What clutch would be the perfect match for my set up?
Old 10-18-2004, 10:30 AM

exedy

Old 10-18-2004, 10:44 AM

exedy all the way! you cant tell me that you ever heard a bad thing about it!
Old 10-18-2004, 10:51 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (blundar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blundar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Clutchmasters Stage 3 on GSR w/ HX35 at 8psi - 280ish WHP. lasted a little over 3 days and then slipped like a ************.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Um 500 mile break in??? Not likely in 3 days, no wonder it slipped.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:21 AM

Clutchmasters Stage 3 w/ unsprung hub and XACT streetlite flywheel(12lb)....grabs very hard, almost too harsh for daily driving, but i like it...takes a while to get used to...
Old 10-18-2004, 12:25 PM

Like Blundar said, ACTION 2MD.
Some clutch chatter, but grabs hella hard.
Also the clutch pedal is not super stiff or anything.

ACT is overpriced IMO, and personally the pedal is a little stiff with the xtreme pressure plate.

Dave is by chance the GSR with the HX35 local? Sean..Red GSR?
Old 10-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ress887)

yeah, Shawn D. The car is down for the count right now, but it was fierce while it lived.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:44 PM

Small world, that is who is installing my friend with the LS's turbo kit and 2md. He gets good prices on Action stuff.
He said traction issues in 4th gear, fierce enough for me.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2KS here. 275whp. Clutch holds it great, and is really easy to shift and it drives just like a stock clutch, with a little higher pedal pressure.

Quick Reply: --Need some suggestion for clutch--