Notices

Need Some quick help before the purchase of a Turbo Civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some quick help before the purchase of a Turbo Civic

The car is a 95 EG coupe with a soch vtech motor and a T26 Turbonetics Turbo. The engine has a sleeved block with rods and pistons.
My first question is, the cars manifold just cracked today and I went with the owner to pick up a manifold locally, and the new manifold had a flange for the wastegate inwhich the current one didnt. I asked the owner about this and he said the BOV attached to the intake piping was also the wastegate. Does this make any sense?
Is there a such thing a turbonetics T26 because I cannot find anything on it online.
To go with the previous question, with the new manifold, the T26 turbo would not fit over the SSAC turbo flange. Why is this?
What is the HP limit on a single cam with je sleeves and pistons? right now its at 10#'s making 220whp.
I will try to get pics later
Old 11-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Some quick help before the purchase of a Turbo Civic (bimmeracer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bimmeracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I asked the owner about this and he said the BOV attached to the intake piping was also the wastegate. Does this make any sense?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like a crock of ****. The owner doesn't know what he's talking about. This statement alone rules out any credibility about building a turbo car. I put my money on the motor being a bone stock d series, no internals, nada, on an eBay turbo kit.

I would keep looking, if i were you.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:19 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything you posted above sounds fishy...there is absolutely no way after hearing that, that i would consider buying that car. The owner sounds like a total moron and i'm sure the car suffered the consequences
Old 11-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

Dont buy that ****. That guy is def lying to ya.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:47 PM

thanks guys. Im actually asking these questions for a friend who asked me to go check out the car. I got the same feeling because of some of the comments that were made.
Does anyone know how he regulates boost to 10 #'s without a wastegate?
Some updates
- its a T25 turbo as I originally thought, but was told other wise.
-the car apparently has 1000cc injectors
-Its has a red FPR
-it has some device attached to the turbo to regulate pressure apparently. Does anyone know anything about this?
-he says he has receipts for all of the internal engine work, which I hope to see tomorrow.

Last question, do you agree that for under $3K, this car is a good deal. Turbo SOHC Vtec coupe with decent/above average interior and exterior, and rims?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Man U FTW

pics and an accurate spec list are needed...i wouldnt make any decision before getting more opinions here
Old 11-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bimmeracer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bimmeracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks guys. Im actually asking these questions for a friend who asked me to go check out the car. I got the same feeling because of some of the comments that were made.
Some updates
-Its has a red FPR
-it has some device attached to the turbo to regulate pressure apparently. Does anyone know anything about this?
-he says he has receipts for all of the internal engine work, which I hope to see tomorrow.

Last question, do you agree that for under $3K, this car is a good deal. Turbo SOHC Vtec coupe with decent/above average interior and exterior, and rims? </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol who is going to work on this car? you do know turbo cars break tiny **** all the time...not necess. big stuff, but the tiny stuff, and if you dont know how to work on it it all adds up......

for $3k for someone like me, yeah it would be a good deal. for someone who has no f'in clue what they're doing, i wouldnt get it..,.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bimmeracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks guys. Im actually asking these questions for a friend who asked me to go check out the car. I got the same feeling because of some of the comments that were made.
Some updates
-Its has a red FPR

Last question, do you agree that for under $3K, this car is a good deal. Turbo SOHC Vtec coupe with decent/above average interior and exterior, and rims?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

first off, a built block w/1000cc injectors running a t25 makes no sence since its such a tiny turbo.
second the "device" attached to the turbo is an internal wastegate.
either way it sound fishy...check it out personally and go from there...
Old 11-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95dc2teg)

he needs to get himself a boroscope or fiberscope to lok down inside the spark plug holes to get a peak at the pistons etc. This will be a #1 way to check it out, second, make the owner let you do a compression/leakdown test... this will be another good step.

it does smell of tuna though...
Old 11-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Man U FTW

Default Re: (JaredKaragen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JaredKaragen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it does smell of tuna though...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll second that
Old 11-18-2007, 08:18 PM

I agree with all of your especially with 1000cc injectors with only 220whp. I will speak to him tomorrow night and try to get all of the details.
are there any other questions you guys think I should ask?
About the compression test, I know how to DIY it, but what compression range should I be looking for with the motor at the claimed 8:1 compression?
Thanks
Old 11-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bimmeracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree with all of your especially with 1000cc injectors with only 220whp. I will speak to him tomorrow night and try to get all of the details.
are there any other questions you guys think I should ask?
About the compression test, I know how to DIY it, but what compression range should I be looking for with the motor at the claimed 8:1 compression?
Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't bother with it, the owner is obviously a moron. What happens after you get the car, and find out that a bunch of **** is wrong with it? You'll take it back saying "xxx blew up, and what i do?" and you will realize that this car is going to cost more for you in the long run than its worth. Do things correctly yourself correctly, or make sure you're dealing with someone who knows whats going on.

T25, internally gated, at 10 lbs, 220 whp, and 1000cc injectors? I don't think so. I'm guessing that the turbo spiked/creeped up to 10 lbs. It's just not ideal
Old 11-18-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: (confucioussae)

yea, if your friend doesnt know anything about turbo that 3k is going to be 6k easily..sounds like a money pit.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Peter Brady onlyonweekndz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Peter Brady onlyonweekndz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">..sounds like a money pit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

arent all our cars a money pit though?!? lol
Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 AM

The injectors are from an acura legend. What flow rate is that? I think 310cc, but I am unsure/.
how much hp are those injectors good until?
does anyone know what fuel pressure regulator is red?
Thanks
Old 11-19-2007, 11:10 AM

if i was you, i would buy a stock car and modify it yourself, it sounds like you have a lot of learning to do, and the best experience is going to be building up a car yourself, don't want to sound like a dick but it will be best for you in the long run
Old 11-19-2007, 11:37 AM

actually, im building my supercharged M3 myself, this honda is for one of my friends who is having internet/firewall problems right now.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:33 PM

its an internally gated turbo so you bought the wrong replacement manifold.....plus the bov acting like a wastegate??? haha screw this deal man
Old 11-21-2007, 05:45 PM

It looks like he is willing to go as low as 2G's. I figure even if the engine goes, its a single cam and can be replaced and sold for more than I spent since the body is clean. All that needs to be done now to finalize the deal is a compression test and a PPI.
Thanks guys.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2g's is not that much money, either way you look at it it's worth a car and a bunch of usable parts. You never did say what year it was or how many miles was on it. You did say the body look like it was in good condition. I say if its a 96 (even though I much rather have a 92-95) or up you cant go wrong. The fpr is probably ebay crap and even if not who cares they cost like 100 bucks. From what you have said it will be a learning experiance (which is good). If your friend is prepared, I say go for it.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:34 PM

its a 95 coupe
Old 11-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think you should buy this, why would the guy be running a sleeved block with pistons and rods and be running a ssac turbo setup..also why would he call the bov a wategate, why would he be running 1000cc injectors and only making 215whp???? and last thing is i have receipts from when i built my motor 3 years ago any one can have receipts, from a machine shop from any time,